Send Topic Print
Fix your gas cap leak (Read 3032 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: Fix your gas cap leak
Reply #30 - 09/10/11 at 21:13:02

Ok, update time. It's been a few weeks now since I've had the Honda gasket.. I still get the same leak problem just not everytime, and I have weird crap dripping out of the tank hole after the bikes been in the sun.. I'm gonna try to double up the original gasket and the Honda one for tighter pressure and make sure the gas cap vent isn't clogged.

Really sick of worrying when I fill up... plus I'm sure the people on the other side of the pump get sick of me saying "oh nuts, oh nuts.." and running toward them for the napkin dispenser.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #31 - 09/25/11 at 14:43:24

Honda gasket didn't work for me at all- leaked worse than the original.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 09/25/11 at 15:26:16

What I did was cut the hole in the Honda gasket a little bigger and used it as packing behind the stock gasket. The cap fits tightly now with a little bit downward pressure till the pins click. The gas tank is nearly full and I sloshed the gas around and tipped the bike to the left till the peg touched and no leaky.
Time will tell.
If this doesn't work I'm all out of ideas.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #33 - 09/30/11 at 11:07:33

Same problem, and I no longer have the original gasket. I'm wondering if if one, two or more "washers"  cut from an empty plastic oil can could be used between the new gasket and the cap to shim the gasket for a tighter fit. Would the plastic hold up to gasoline?

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #34 - 09/30/11 at 11:10:54

Dammit.. is the Honda gasket not as thick as the original gasket?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #35 - 09/30/11 at 12:00:33

Its about the same thickness and works as good as the stock one  Roll Eyes

I just need to find something a bit thinner to stick under the stock gasket or the honda one and I believe my pants will be unleaded free..

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 09/30/11 at 12:40:02

Arizuno wrote on 09/30/11 at 11:07:33:
Same problem, and I no longer have the original gasket. I'm wondering if if one, two or more "washers"  cut from an empty plastic oil can could be used between the new gasket and the cap to shim the gasket for a tighter fit. Would the plastic hold up to gasoline?

Oil can plastic should hold up to gas.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #37 - 10/11/11 at 09:51:22

Ok, my gas cap leak is fixed. What I did was use the Honda gasket for awhile, then I cut the middle of it out leaving only the outer edge where it contacted the fuel tank. I put this cut out ring behind my original gas cap gasket just for a little bit of added pressure and it works without any problems such as not being able to close the lock and it comes right off.

Now that my gas doesn't leak, apparently my breather hole in my gas cap is clogged or something, because at around 60mph+ my bike thinks it's it out of gas.. so I'm in the process of trying to clean the gas cap or either just switch up to a Raptor 660 petcock.. but let me tell you, I'm 100% sure every time now that no gas is gonna come spraying out, and no more crap dripping down my tank in the hot sun Cheesy

Also, at 60mph+ I figured out that you could flip the petcock from reserve to normal every once in a while and you wouldn't "run out of gas" on an almost full tank..

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #38 - 10/14/11 at 14:44:21

I'm getting the same problem with the Honda gasket.  Replaced the stock one, which was cracked and very stiff, with the Honda replacement.  The replacement doesn't seem like it's making a tight enough seal with the tank as it's very pliable.  Filled up today for the first time after the switch and cap leaked when i rocked it side to side.
Want to shim the gasket to provide a better seal.  Stock washer is shot, so I was wondering if I could use this:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/1327956/Thrust_Washer_AS3047_Thrust_Washer?s=1
as a shim behind the new Honda gasket.  Anybody ever try this?  For $2 I'm probably gonna give it a try.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 10/14/11 at 15:12:06

Can't say whether it will work or not, but be carefull arizuno did this with a homemade washer and jammed his cap on.

would much rather see this done with the correct material thickness anyway.  One issue you'll have is the steel washer won't seal.

WWW   IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #40 - 10/15/11 at 13:55:07

Versy,
What I intended to do was use this behind the Honda gasket to give that gasket a little extra push against the tank. Hopefully that would give a better seal, not sure.

As for getting the plug stuck, after fooling around with the lock while I had it apart, I found that any extra thickness added to the gasket moves the pins that are fitted into the plastic housing away from the lock core that pulls them in.  Thinking that may be what happened to Arizuno, didn't he say he doubled up the gaskets?  I'm hoping that 1mm doesn't make much of a difference with the lock, but I'll update once I get it installed.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 10/15/11 at 14:28:07

Just wanted to make sure you knew what happened and to double check before you find you can't get it off.

Also, why spend two bucks when the fix is in your trash can.

WWW   IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #42 - 10/23/11 at 13:29:50

Okay, so I did what Art and Built did -- cut the ID of the stock gasket a little bigger and fit it behind the new Honda gasket.  Takes a bit of pressure to click the cap down fully now.  Filled up today and rocked her side to side...no leak!! Not even a little.  Hoping it holds up, but this seems to be a good fix for now.  Didn't bog on the ride at all today either so I'm thinking my vent is clear, too.  Good Times!!

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #43 - 10/26/11 at 07:14:53

I had the screws under the gas cap too tight, cutting off circulation.. my "empty tank" vac problem is fixed now.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #44 - 10/26/11 at 09:21:13

Those screws are supposed to be tight, otherwise they come loose and you have to go fishing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 01:01:25

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Fix your gas cap leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.