my bobber project (Read 1486 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: my bobber project
Reply #15 - 12/21/09 at 00:12:59

Charon wrote on 12/20/09 at 17:41:08:
Actually, I think my statement that the regulator shunts excess current to ground might be in error. But that was a simple way of expressing it. I think it really shunts excess current between the legs of the three-phase alternator (hope that didn't confuse you). The regulator will shunt the excess, not the battery. The regulator senses battery voltage (actually, its own output voltage, which should be the same). When the battery voltage reaches the voltage which indicates full charge, the regulator will start shunting anything in excess of that. The current flows through the stator windings and the regulator. The regulator is normally mounted on the fender, which acts as a heat sink, and the stator windings are in the engine case. The shunted current will cause heat not only in the regulator, but also in the stator windings. I do not know for sure that it would cause any problems, but I thought it might be worth mention.

I wonder how much horsepower it uses to run that charge system. I cant remember the output wattage . Watts convert to HP easy enough IIRC.

How hard would it be to put a regulator on that shut down the alternator?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 12/21/09 at 06:20:35

One horsepower is 746 watts. That's easy enough. That makes no allowance for efficiency factors, typically low in small alternators.

The motorcycle alternator is differently designed from the automotive alternator. On the motorcycle (I'm sure there are exceptions) the flywheel carries permanent magnets past the stationary coils of the alternator - the "stator". Whenever the engine runs those magnets cause alternating current to be produced in the stator. The faster the engine turns, the faster the magnets pass the coils and the more current is generated. That alternating current - AC - is rectified by diodes in the regulator. The resulting direct current - DC - is used to power the motorcycle and recharge its battery. As the battery reaches full charge the voltage tends to rise. The regulator senses this. Remember those rectifiers? Some of them are silicon controlled rectifiers - SCRs. They are so arranged as to shunt some of the current, and they are controlled by the regulator. When the regulator decides the output voltage is high enough it turns on those SCRs and shunts enough current to control the output voltage. Because the regulator is electronic it literally controls the AC cycle by cycle.

Automotive alternators are different, in that they do not use permanent magnets. Instead they use electromagnets. The voltage regulator controls the current through those electromagnets. When the output voltage rises high enough the regulator reduces the current through the electromagnets, which in turn reduces the output current. Since the current is controlled differently, they don't have nor need the SCRs. Automotive current loads are much more variable. Cars have more lights, they have windshield wipers, heater blowers, air conditioner compressor clutches, electric window defrosters, and so forth. Some even have electric power steering. They also have a lot more room to mount parts. And for the yobs with high-powered audio systems, the current demands are incredible.

It might be possible to redesign the voltage regulator on the motorcycle to use switching transistors instead of SCRs. Then it might be possible to switch off the current instead of shunting it. But I suspect then there might be some pretty high-voltage spikes to control, which might burn the switching transistors.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #17 - 12/21/09 at 07:41:18

Great work man!! Seeing these complete teardown/rebuilds is downright comforting, because it means the bike is mechanic-friendly enough to keep forever.  

Bobbert wrote on 12/17/09 at 12:52:09:
Battery will be mounted either where the old muffler bracket went or in between the foot controls.  

That is hilarious how you made the battery all sexy with the belt Grin   I am still having good luck with the Yuasa motocross battery mounted on the muffler bracket (see "mini battery install" in the tech section).  If you keep the same headlight cutoff and decomp solenoid as stock, the little Yuasa starts the bike just as fast as the stock battery.   Also, I am sure the brackets and hold-down bolts can be put together without welds.

Polishing old clearcoat off and just buffing out the aluminum makes it look really good as-is, the "brushed stainless" look.. but then I think the remaining roughness will cause it to oxidize sooner than if you really slick it out.  Per Mick's advice, I'd follow the wire wheel treatment up with some "Mother's" aluminum polish, just as a protective measure.  Does anyone know how often you have to re-polish (or re-brush for that matter) to keep the finish looking good?  Or should we try to put on another clear-coat?  Don't you just love all us armchair professors telling you what's best?  Grin  Fantastic job dude, can't wait to see the final result.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 12/21/09 at 20:45:39

It might be possible to redesign the voltage regulator on the motorcycle to use switching transistors instead of SCRs. Then it might be possible to switch off the current instead of shunting it. But I suspect then there might be some pretty high-voltage spikes to control, which might burn the switching transistors.

Yea, maybe, but the HP of swinging the magnets thru the flux fields & creating a Voltage would still be spent,, dangitt,,

Darn good explanation, C. Thaks again

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #19 - 12/22/09 at 08:05:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/21/09 at 20:45:39:
Yea, maybe, but the HP of swinging the magnets thru the flux fields & creating a Voltage would still be spent,, dangitt,,

Darn good explanation, C. Thaks again

Actually I think there would be a savings (albeit a measly 1/10 HP or so) by disconnecting the magnets so no current is drawn.   I wouldn't do it though (and can't back that up with a good reason) but it just seems likely to smoke something, or perhaps evaporate your electrolyte faster, if you keep switching from zero to full voltage.  The regulator seems like a "smoother" solution.  It keeps the battery fully topped up all the time, which is how lead-acid batteries like to be treated. The waste energy can be minimized by running your high beam.  Honk the horn a lot too  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #20 - 12/31/09 at 17:20:19

I remember seeing pictures of your build as I was thinking of what to do with my bike. Can't wait to see the newly finished product!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #21 - 01/15/10 at 19:03:16

Bobbert, looking good, Bro.  Did you get around to fabbing a straight pipe or did you go another route?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 01/15/10 at 19:37:26

Diamond Jim!!!! are ya back???
So happy to hear from you.
Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #23 - 01/15/10 at 19:52:18

Happy to be back on here.  You guys rock!

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #24 - 02/07/10 at 12:54:29

Diamond Jim- I think I'm going to keep using my HD fishtail.  It's not the perfect looking pipe but it's still got edge and it sounds amazing.  "Chopper" describes both the way my bike looks and sounds!

UPDATE 2/7/10

I'm wiring up the electrics at the moment.  I cut out plates to mount the components.  Here's the plate with the starter relay and the fuse panel.

Back side starter relay

Front side fuse panel

Here are the two plates I made mounted to the frame.  The plate underneath the seat is gonna hold the ignitor box.

The ignitor box in position on the top plate.

Routing of the wires (in cloth sheath) towards the front of the bike.

The supply to the front of the bike goes to the spark plug (top sheath) and the starter button (bottom sheath)

Hooking it up to test the lights.  The yellow/white wire hanging over the rail there comes from the starter button and is going to be plugged into the relay once I've got everything in place.  

Battery is going to go in a box behind the engine and under the swingarm.

The electric system here basically works.  I'm getting power to the head and tail lights, starter button, ignitor box, and coil.  My starter, ignitior box, and battery are working (tested them in Verslagen's savage) but I'm not getting enough juice through my starter.  Likely a combination of the main cables being too small to carry the current and having too much resistance in the engine from not being properly lubed yet.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #25 - 02/17/10 at 18:40:08

It's up and running!

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
supernes550
YaBB Newbies

I also rock mini
bikes.

south san diego
Reply #26 - 02/19/10 at 16:29:08

looks good.
we should set up a socal ls650 meet up when your bike is done.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 02/19/10 at 20:34:08

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #28 - 10/03/10 at 08:15:21

Great progress on the bike, I lost this thread in time some how.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #29 - 12/19/10 at 19:06:36

Update 12/19/10

Bike Needed a major cleanup.  The aluminum engine oxidized, the paint chipped, and the exhaust never got fixed.

Got a new tank, getting new clutch/throttle cables, handgrips, footpegs, rear plate mount, fender mounts, rear tire.

time lapse video of the work I've done:

http://www.facebook.com/v/1524199142330

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:12:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my bobber project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.