Send Topic Print
my bobber project (Read 1486 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
my bobber project
12/17/09 at 12:31:38

Been a while since I posted here.  I've been swamped with school and an internship for the past 4 months.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm Rob and I live in Los Angeles.  (FYI my name is mashup of "Robert" and "Bobber", I am not BobberT)

I took my bike apart in June to replace all the gaskets and check the engine.  September was the last time I did anything to the bike until this week when I put some hours in.

Here is the bike before I started the teardown:

Now the fun stuff:

Here you can see that the exhaust valve stem seal was bad.  It was burning all the oil in the head and making my bike smell like Quwait in 91.

Oh no! The burning of oil kept my engine too hot, causing these these wires to become brittle and break:

To cut or not to cut?

lets CUT!

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: my bobber project
Reply #1 - 12/17/09 at 12:35:07

sweeet! i appreciate any teardown!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 12/17/09 at 12:40:20

horns are no more:

put the engine back in:

a little farther along:

I repainted the frame and the headlight:

I spent countless hours sanding the old zinc coating off the side covers.  My suggestion for anyone repeating this is to get MORE POWER *grunt grunt* and just use the wire brush on an angle grinder. Here's the difference.  Left is original, right is all cleaned up:

Bike partly back together:

I decided to replace the bars.  Here are the old 10" harley apes:

Custom bars courtesy of Front Street Cycles ($125):

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 12/17/09 at 12:52:09

Rocco wrote on 12/17/09 at 12:35:07:
sweeet! i appreciate any teardown!!

Yeah! You really get to know the bike inside and out.  It's like having sex with your bike!

I'm going to treat any exposed metal with a good wire brushing.  I did it to part of my engine and it looks beautiful.

I'm going to try hardtailing the bike and mounting the seat on springs.  If I like the ride then I'm going to have gussets welded between the swingarm and the frame and cut off the shock posts.  The savage has a tall narrow frame and a narrow engine but with the belt drive the back end gets real wide.  

The bars will be free from electronics and I'm going to replace the grips and levers with something more retro. I'm going to install a switch that cuts all power to headlights and have the high beam switch on the light or down by my crotch with the main disconnect. I'm going with a new headlight that sticks farther out from the trees to accentuate the tall skinny front end.

I'm going manual decomp.  I'm going to fab up a handle on the decomp lever and mount the starter button on the frame right next to it.  Push the lever, hit the starter button, release the lever, and keep on the button until she fires up.  

I've got a $10 combo brake light/plate light that's going to be mounted vertically on the right to balance out the size of the belt drive.

Battery will be mounted either where the old muffler bracket went or in between the foot controls.  I love the open look of the bike without the airbox or battery box.  Electrics will be grouped under a plate underneath the seat.  I tried to repair my burnt out wiring harness but the only wiring connectors I could find were ugly crimp and shrinkwrap ones so I'm buying another wiring harness and working from there.

I'm probably going to make a Diamond Jim straight pipe.

If I'm not burnt out from all this I'm going to take a grinder to the welds in the frame.  There's slag all over it.

Since Im going for tall and skinny I'm going to mount a small (2 gal?) tank on top of the frame.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/17/09 at 22:42:48

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't understand how you have the rear fender mounted. It appears, from the photos, that you have the fender hard mounted where you cut the horns off. But the rear fender braces appear to be mounted to the swing arm?
How does one mount the fender to the frame, but  have it move with the swingarm?

I do admire that you have the guts to cut the frame and “burn your bridges”. I am inspired to do it myself.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 12/17/09 at 22:50:45

Aircraft stripper does a good job on the clear coat on the cases.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 12/17/09 at 23:06:35

haha "sex with your bike" i've been doing it wrong!! lol!

i actually like the 10" mini's better, but the drags are sick.

and i agree the battery box is the only thing wrong with the looks of things!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 12/19/09 at 07:44:08

Great work. I'm really interested in some more pics of the back of the bike with the fender attachment and fender struts. This is exactly up my alley for where my project will hopefully soon be heading. Thanks and keep up the great work.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 12/20/09 at 11:32:58

It isn't clear to me whether you are going to have the headlight remain ON as is stock, or whether you plan to turn it OFF except when you need it. But it occurred to me that, the way the voltage regulator works, you might want to leave it ON. Reason: the voltage regulator/alternator produces full power at all times. As the battery charges, this full power becomes excess to requirements and the voltage regulator shunts the extra to ground. If you turn off the headlight, and perhaps the running lights, the regulator will have even more excess power to shunt. The sixty or seventy watts of headlight, taillight, and running lights will go through the regulator and might cause overheating problems with it. At the very least you will want to make sure the regulator is solidly mounted to something which can act as a heat sink.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 12/20/09 at 13:26:47

Charon wrote on 12/20/09 at 11:32:58:
But it occurred to me that, the way the voltage regulator works, you might want to leave it ON. Reason: the voltage regulator/alternator produces full power at all times. As the battery charges, this full power becomes excess to requirements and the voltage regulator shunts the extra to ground.

That would certainly explain why the system requirements are so close to the output. Theres just not much power to tap to use for accessories. I never understood why they designed the thing that way. Now, it is all clear. Thanks Charon.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #10 - 12/20/09 at 14:11:32

Savage_Amusement wrote on 12/19/09 at 07:44:08:
Great work. I'm really interested in some more pics of the back of the bike with the fender attachment and fender struts. This is exactly up my alley for where my project will hopefully soon be heading. Thanks and keep up the great work.

I can tell you that a fender with this much clearance from the tire will not work if the bike is using the stock shocks.  

I'll take pictures for you.  The fender's just going to be bolted to an angle iron bracket welded onto the swingarm and through holes drilled near the axle plates.  I would recommend welding the mounting tabs to the top of the swingarm otherwise the axle adjustment plates bump into the fender struts.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 12/20/09 at 14:14:54

Charon wrote on 12/20/09 at 11:32:58:
It isn't clear to me whether you are going to have the headlight remain ON as is stock, or whether you plan to turn it OFF except when you need it. But it occurred to me that, the way the voltage regulator works, you might want to leave it ON. Reason: the voltage regulator/alternator produces full power at all times. As the battery charges, this full power becomes excess to requirements and the voltage regulator shunts the extra to ground. If you turn off the headlight, and perhaps the running lights, the regulator will have even more excess power to shunt. The sixty or seventy watts of headlight, taillight, and running lights will go through the regulator and might cause overheating problems with it. At the very least you will want to make sure the regulator is solidly mounted to something which can act as a heat sink.

I was going to have an off switch for starting and to be able to turn off the lights if I'm temporarily stopped in front of a window or warming the bike up.

Does the regulator or the battery dump the excess current?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 12/20/09 at 16:29:18

Bobbers are not usually my thing, I prefer choppers. But dang dude, I have GOT to see that thing when you finish with it, it is gonna be one bad ass machine.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 12/20/09 at 17:41:08

Actually, I think my statement that the regulator shunts excess current to ground might be in error. But that was a simple way of expressing it. I think it really shunts excess current between the legs of the three-phase alternator (hope that didn't confuse you). The regulator will shunt the excess, not the battery. The regulator senses battery voltage (actually, its own output voltage, which should be the same). When the battery voltage reaches the voltage which indicates full charge, the regulator will start shunting anything in excess of that. The current flows through the stator windings and the regulator. The regulator is normally mounted on the fender, which acts as a heat sink, and the stator windings are in the engine case. The shunted current will cause heat not only in the regulator, but also in the stator windings. I do not know for sure that it would cause any problems, but I thought it might be worth mention.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 12/20/09 at 18:03:00

We should harness that wasted power and put it to use...
...to,.... power a propeller or somethin'... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:31:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my bobber project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.