Send Topic Print
Head interchangability (Read 129 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head interchangability
12/10/09 at 12:44:44

I found a head on ebay off a newer s40 (factory black so I assume its an s40, or did they start doing that before the name change?) and it says it fits 96-07. So far as I know heads are interchangable through all years. Im just looking for verification of that assumption. Also, I dont need the head at all, just the valves/springs. Apparently the cam journal is worn. Im probably going to go ahead and get it, if anyone feels like having a head to fix up I'd be glad to pass it on for the cost of shipping. Let me know.

update -
Seems the part number is the same from 95-'02 at least. According to bikebandit anyway. '06 has a different P/N but i don't think that would make a difference. I only really need the valves anyway. But Im going to go ahead and get it so...anyone that wants a head to tinker with let me know.

I do have another question though. The Clymers states that valves and guides need to be replaced together. I have brand new guides. Should I replace my guides with the brand new ones and the ebay valves or should I replace them with the used guides from the ebay head?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Head interchangability
Reply #1 - 12/11/09 at 08:41:09

Haven't done any measurements, but I've got an '88 and an '02 next to each other and don't see any difference.

Although I've heard it said that there is a diff in overall height of the cylinders.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 12/11/09 at 12:11:31

verslagen1 wrote on 12/11/09 at 08:41:09:
Haven't done any measurements, but I've got an '88 and an '02 next to each other and don't see any difference.

Although I've heard it said that there is a diff in overall height of the cylinders.

Look at Bike-Bandit microfische.  Check part numbers between the years.

Note, an 1987 fit on my 2001 perfectly.   The brand new fisrt oversize piston (suzuki part) had no claerance issues.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/02/10 at 20:32:19

There was some talk around here a while ago.  Seems some thought that the head and the head cover should be a matched set.

Is that true?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/02/10 at 22:40:17

Digger wrote on 01/02/10 at 20:32:19:
There was some talk around here a while ago.  Seems some thought that the head and the head cover should be a matched set.

Is that true?

I think so, but it's not stated anywhere.
Let's put it this way... it's pretty hard to check.
Split cases are normally line bored.
The head and cover have every sign of being line bored.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head interchangability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.