Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on HID lights and ballast placement (Read 97 times)
Diabla
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, CA
Question on HID lights and ballast placement
12/04/09 at 02:09:21

Just got a new (used) s40 and am beginning to think of the upgrades I wanna get into.  One of the first on my list is an HID conversion.  I know they're more common on sports bikes but I like the safety aspects of it for my s40 too.

My question though... where is a good place to mount the ballast?  

I'm also trying to decide between a 4300k and 5000k bulb (as seen on this link http://shop.3bspecialties.com/05-08-Low-High-Dual-Filament-HID_c1296.htm;jses...).

'All Knowledge is Worth Having'
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question on HID lights and ballast placement
Reply #1 - 12/04/09 at 07:15:24

Hello and welcome. 4300 are yellowish-white, same color (approx) as the regular halogen bulbs. 5000K are white, period. Higher you go, there's more blue spectrum in the light.

As far as the ballast placement, try to get one of those slim digital ballasts and place under the triple tree somehow. Can't see where else, since cables you get are usually not too long, and you shouldn't cut and splice them.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 12/04/09 at 14:03:33

i have thought about the HID also..i went with a higher K halogen(same watttage as stock but lots brighter)
sylvania i think..along with mr11 led bullet runnnig lights I can see and be seen just fine..
my concerns besides the ballast placemet(there are some that will fit in the headlight housing)is the nature of the ls 650 elect start up sequence..the head light comes on when you turn the key then goes off when you hit the start button then on again..
hids have a high inrush current till the gas ignites then very low current when lit..not sure how our on/off/on would affect the ballast in the long term, expensive if it fails..could add a switch to isolate the hid from the starting circuit till bike was running...

btw why are your posts RED??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Diabla
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, CA
Reply #3 - 12/04/09 at 15:21:56

Thanks for the input, guys!

Why red?  Smiley  I like red, and I'm a girl so I make my letters red. :p  It started long ago on a busy forum.  The color made my posts easier to pick-out when I was trying to read things posts that had been made since my last visit.  

I recently toned down the shade by request of another poster here. lol
Apparently some of the shades look different/brighter on different computer screens.

'All Knowledge is Worth Having'
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:16:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on HID lights and ballast placement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.