Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
jaso rating ma vs ma2??? (Read 101 times)
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

jaso rating ma vs ma2???
12/03/09 at 06:30:13

i was at    the local shop in the little town i am working in i need to do a oil change i noticed all they had was oil with a jaso ma2 rating what is the difference compared to ma, and can i use it in my bike its a 06 s40

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: jaso rating ma vs ma2???
Reply #1 - 12/03/09 at 08:12:00

Well, wait for it.  We're gonna have us another long-winded discussion about oil. Sad

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 12/03/09 at 08:27:17

Random Google result from http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1483302
No idea of its correctness.
Quote:
New JASO oil standards (MA1, MA2):

JASO effectively added the JASO-MA2 & JASO-MA1 specifications by splitting the existing JASO-MA spec into two groups by friction-performance (MA1 is the lower friction oils; MA2 the higher friction oils suitable for bikes).
The change came out as final/approved in 2006 in response to catalytic converters becoming widespread in bikes (EPA/EU requirements); it was also prompted in part by the car-lobby of the JASO organization wanting to specify a subset of the JASO-MA oils for use in their cars (the low friction oils, which become JASO-MA1). JASO-MA2 is just starting to show up in the US Market as a rating because this is the first year that catalytic converter-equipped bikes are widespread.

Aside from splitting the MA spec into two sub-groups, the new specs add a phosphorous content ceiling (better protect catalytic converters by using less, but phosphorous is also anti-wear additive, so it could be less start-up protection). JASO-MA2 being the heavier friction oils most suitable for motorcycle use will become the common standard for Japanese-built (and many Euro-built) motorcycles for the '08 and later model years.

Note that JASO-MA2 can now be API SJ formulated, but API SL & API SM formulations still directly contradict JASO-MA/MA1/MA2 standards because of the use of friction modifiers that are not wet-clutch compatible.

The JASO-MA (no suffix number) still remains in effect as well. For the Kats, API SF/SG + JASO-MA rated oils will remain the oils of choice until they are no longer available.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/04/09 at 09:41:32

appreciate that i figured that it was something like that just didn't know for sure what it meant

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › jaso rating ma vs ma2???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.