Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Joys of Riding Cold .... (Read 274 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
The Joys of Riding Cold ....
11/25/09 at 09:33:14

Now, you dress as good as you can then you go for it.  You've someplace to go and it isn't raining and you are not sick so, as you are not a whush so you are gonna take the bike.

It's cold -- the bite sneaks past the full face helmet, it leaks through the pants, it runs up your trowsers, it creeps into your shoes.  Your gloves do what they can, but the numbness quickly starts creeping into your fingers.

It's cold -- hurtn' cold.  I gotta stop soon cold.   My hands are gonna quit working soon and my legs won't hold the bike upright when I finally do stop cold.

Dam, is that a Burger King up ahead?  They have a senior coffee for cheap, a warm place to sit and holy of holies -- a bathroom.

Ah, a warm heated dining room, endless hot coffee for 59 cents, enough paper napkins to blow your nose clean, a newspaper to read.  These are the things you really appreciate when riding in the cold and you just gotta stop.

Some of my best places when riding in the cold.  Burger King, Hardees, Weiner Works (on Wednesday they have a 99c foot long hot dog).  

Never McDonalds -- they really suck in the last few years.   Or maybe they stayed the same and everyone else simply got better, I dunno.  Dirty and crowded with lousy food and septic bathrooms, yuck.

My all time favorites for an hour or so worth of most excellent warm up time -- Borders, Books-a-Million, Barnes and Noble.  Heck sometimes these places are even the destination, not just the cold stop.

You gotta learn to enjoy riding in the cold, and so much of that is getting out of it for a vital few minutes periodically.

============

I have stopped in some strange places -- when Jack Frost begins to bite good and the pain starts.  I have stopped into knick nack shops and auto parts stores and all sorts of odd nooks and corners that just happened to be open.

Once, I followed a sign that said "Coffee Shop" over to a house on a mountain side road that had been converted partially into a his and hers retirement type business.  His part was a computer repair closet (literally).  He sat in there doing fix it work on neighborhood computers that had died or gotten corrupted while she ran the coffee shop/crafts/nick nack shop.  Her world was much bigger (half a house) as she taught the stuff and then displayed and sold what her students were making for small money to them and a mark up for her.  

But his train set ran along the ceiling through all the rooms and his Star Wars models staged mock battles from the ceiling in every room.

Eccentric, yes.  Neater than the words can convey, oh yes ....  they each pursued what tripped their triggers and had fun doing it.

===========

What were some of your best cold stops?  

We all have done them and some of you have surely hit a gold nugget or two along the way.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Re: The Joys of Riding Cold ....
Reply #1 - 11/25/09 at 09:46:34

Agree..you don't hear the snowmobile guys whining cuz it's too cold out.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 11/25/09 at 09:47:30

I have this little ceremonial thing I do every Friday regardless of how cold it is out. I ride the ocean road 6-8 miles down to my place of employment to pick up my check (They still don't have direct deposit). I've done this at 16F in January riding through flurries.

I think about the warmth waiting for me at the office, but got nailed from the cold pretty good one day; I got to the paper and my hands were so numb that I couldn't get my helmet strap undone. I walked into the office through the back door with my wild hogs skull face mask on, and the reporter sitting by the door screamed. I scared the shite out of her. I ripped off the face mask and helmet revealing my ugly face to everyone saying "sorry, hands are numb."

I love riding in the cold, and the bike seems to love the cold also. Runs beautifully, with great explosions also. Listen to this one after I cross the street with the stop sign: http://www.bikemovies.com/movie/010388/

FSO
  IP Logged
pigthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/25/09 at 15:29:20

I live in Canada and picked up my first bike in Feburay 1971, a spanking brand new 1970 Triumph Bonneville. If memory serves..it was minus 10F..And I rode that bike all winter when it didn't snowand the roads weren't icy..
It was a real treat when spring came..never mind summer.
Not saying I'll do that this winter

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 11/25/09 at 23:46:57

Photojoe: ahh, the upshift backfire, I know it well! Cheesy  And the dog barking at the first POP, just makes it that much better. Grin  By the way, I've got one of those skull masks, and can't for the life of me keep it from fogging up my goggles, especially when I'm not moving; is there a trick to it? Cool

Oldfeller: I've been riding the last few afternoons, enjoying the rare dry weather, and "balmy" mid 40's weather, and my ride this afternoon was actually to Borders bookstore.  Couldn't find what I was after, but wandered around 'til I was toasty, then back out to have fun again!  Haven't even had to break out the ski pants yet.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 11/28/09 at 18:17:10

Here in SE Wisconsin, it's been in the 40's for a couple weeks now. I've been out numerous times, bopping around town. I think I need to get some long johns. The face does get cold, and the fingers start to get numb. If only I could find a good knit cap that would stay on when in motion, I'd be happy. That darn Harley cap I got just won't do the trick. Places to stop--Hardee's, Wally-mart, Casio music store. ( I also play drums, so this stop is my favorite. )

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/29/09 at 10:22:31

pigthumper wrote on 11/25/09 at 15:29:20:
I live in Canada and picked up my first bike in Feburay 1971, a spanking brand new 1970 Triumph Bonneville. If memory serves..it was minus 10F..And I rode that bike all winter when it didn't snowand the roads weren't icy..
It was a real treat when spring came..never mind summer.
Not saying I'll do that this winter

I have heard that Canadians have problems driving when there is no snow on the roads,  is that true for Canadian bikers too?

Phelonius Cool

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 11/29/09 at 10:48:23

We keep the studs in the tires all year long. Grin

Nov. 29 and going for a ride. The roads are clear and being a Canuck, the cold don't matter. Usually we are buried in snow drifts this time of year. If this is global warming; bring it on!!!!!!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
pigthumper
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/29/09 at 16:02:26

Yeah that's because of all the dogsleds parked in front of the igloos.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 11/29/09 at 17:51:17

Looking forward to trading the dogs in for one of those new fangled snow machines.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #10 - 11/29/09 at 18:27:54

Ya'll can call me a wuss, I don't mind. Got my Silverado, asked what the knob was on the bars. It's a d@mn grip warmer. Go figure. Rarely gets that cold here in 'Bama.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
LazyLemming
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/03/09 at 01:37:13

Fun part about here in Arizona.  When I leave for work in the morning, I'm in gloves, jacket, sweater, balaclava, visor down and freezing.   By the afternoon, that's all stowed in the saddlebags and I'm riding with the sleeves rolled up.

Back when I was in Indiana though, I certainly found some interesting places.  I'd say the strangest was one night on the way back home from a friend's place I stopped at a random bar.  Turned out to be a drag bar. Shocked   That was a pretty short stop.

Another night I discovered an awesome little japanese restaurant called Ichibon Noodle.  Best warm sake and yakisoba I've had since actually being in Japan.

IP Logged
Djcajun
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 12/04/09 at 17:55:44

Spent 32 years in Colorado and rode to work most mornings. 16 was ok no colder but that was at 2 or 3 in the morning. Never knew what going home at quitting time would be. Sunshine was wonderful but SNOW was a lot of fun. Have since moved to Virginia, warmer but too wet and NO SNOW Embarrassed Seems like I love and miss snow Smiley But I no longer work Wink More riding time Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:23:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Joys of Riding Cold ....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.