Winter Gear (Gloves) (Read 230 times)
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Winter Gear (Gloves)
11/24/09 at 05:33:19

I can't seem to find a thread regarding winter gear and gloves. It's dropped to low 40s here in Dallas which isn't too bad. But I ride to school at 5:30AM so the wind cuts it down a couple more degrees. I'm gonna stick with my leather jacket and wear a Fruit of the Loom hoodie underneath. But my hands are frozen and my summer gloves aren't getting it. I normally wear jeans and long socks which I think will suffice.

What do you wear? What gloves do you like?

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Winter Gear (Gloves)
Reply #1 - 11/24/09 at 06:18:22

I normally wear a pair of insulated leather gauntlet gloves and sometimes a pair of thin insulated gloves under them depending on the temperature. I also have a pair of gauntlet ski gloves for when its really cold and have worn latex gloves under them for riding when the temps are in the 20's. For low 40's, a pair of insulated leather gloves and maybe thin gloves underneath should be good for you.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/24/09 at 06:42:21

If youre tight on $$, try leather gloves ( Vegetable Tanned, not chemical. The cheapo gloves are loaded w/ heavy metals) with a brown cotton glove for a liner. Or, snowmobile gloves, available at a "Mart" store near you, cheap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 11/24/09 at 09:33:26

Thanks guys! I didn't realize some leathers are tanned with heavy metals. I've recently ditched my antiperspirant because the aluminum contained in it.

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #4 - 11/24/09 at 10:25:00

Thinsulate gloves River Road brand until the temp gets below 30F. Then ski mittens, with liners underneath if needed.  I'm good to 17F.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #5 - 11/24/09 at 11:18:12

reading this makes me glad i live in florida, which still gets too cold for me time to time

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 11/25/09 at 04:55:07

I just bit it, went to the local MC shop down the street and 40 bucks later, I was in business. They are very warm, but yet I still have the feel of everything. I don't know the brand, or the material,....(look leather) I leave that up to the experts there to be good quality. Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #7 - 11/25/09 at 06:43:52

Hubby and I are going Christmas shopping this weekend.  For each other, we'll prolly just go to JP cycles and pick out our own stuff like last year, lol.  Top of my list is going to be gauntlet gloves as well.  Shopping and motorcycles, life's good.   Wink

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #8 - 11/25/09 at 23:52:58

I've got a medium weight pair of thinsulate lined nylon gauntlets for winter/wet riding, with wipers on the thumbs (handy!).  No-name brand from a warehouse sale at the local dealer.  Ok quality, but for $20 I like 'em enough I got another pair this year.

Yeah, some leather has heavy metals in it.  It's literally called "chrome-tanned" leather.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 11/26/09 at 19:19:16

I like deerskin leather work gloves. If I want them water or wind proof I rub mink oil on them while I have them on and let them sit for a day. They have all the feel I want. Fleece vest and leather jacket do it for the cold temps, or maybe long sleeve fleece if it is in the 30's - close the vents on your helmet.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 11/28/09 at 18:26:26

I have thinsulate gloves--not leather--sometimes the fingertips start to go numb when the temp is low 40's. I'm thinking of trying some good leather gloves or snowmobile gloves. Our local bike shop went out of business so I'm off to the Harley dealer or off to Milwaukee up the road.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 01/01/10 at 21:21:08

Here's another way to beat the cold hands problem:

Since I don't have a cage, I ride my Savage all winter long.  Winters here in the Springs aren't anything like they were where I grew up (St. Paul, MN), but things can get brisk here nonetheless.

I pop these beauties on in the Fall when the temps start getting into the 40's:

Those things are Hippo Hands rip-offs I scored at a garage sale a few years back for two bucks.  They work great.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #12 - 01/01/10 at 21:59:52

i 2nd the "florida gets too cold" post!

it's around 60's down here(west palm beach) and it's FREEEZING to us!

we're going riding in the morning(low 40's) so i went to wally world(walmart) the only thing open @ 12:30am and bought a pair of WELLS LAMONT HIGH DEXTERITY gloves.

they aren't leather, but reminds me of a thick bodysuit kind of thing. i'll let u know if they suck or not lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #13 - 01/02/10 at 22:05:33

they worked surprisingly well for weather in the 50's or lower, on the bike, near the ocean. didn't completely stop frozen fingers, but did better then i thought it would for ten bucks!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
savagejoe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/03/10 at 01:17:07

I stick with a pair of insulated leather gauntlet gloves and sometimes wear a thin pair of snowmobile windproof gloves underneath. I did that when it got down to seven a few weeks ago and managed to keep all my fingers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter Gear (Gloves)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.