question about belts! (Read 134 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
question about belts!
11/13/09 at 22:09:28

i don't have the belt tool, but i was wondering how i could check to make sure it's ok....it came with a brand new belt so i haven't bothered yet.

and is it a pain to put a new one on?

random fact...i paid 2000 bucks total with dealer fees in west palm fl...BUT she has 2 brand new tires, new battery, oil change, tune up, new belt, and they fixed the turn signals. so i think i did ok with that....best money i ever spent besides my guns, tats, and turtle!!! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: question about belts!
Reply #1 - 11/13/09 at 22:19:18

If you go by the belt tool your belt will be too tight. The only thing its good for is to toss behind you at some d1ck cager trailing you too close. Twist the belt 90 degrees. Should take a little effort but not much. If its really easy you're too loose. If it requires significant effort you're too tight. If your belt isnt squeeking (except maybe after a rain) don't touch it. You're golden. Had the belt for a year (6k + mi) before i decided to go cast wheel/chain drive and I never had to touch it a single time. If you REALLY want a tool I still have mine. Its yours for the cost of shipping from 15147 to where ever you are but be quick in claiming it. Im going to be out of town all winter in a couple days.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 11/13/09 at 22:26:07

Turtle?..... Huh

Anyway,...  common method is tighten 'till you can twist it 90" degrees at mid-point...

Very dependent on thumb strength...  I can turn it to 90, at any adjustment... and I've seen your picture,... you can turn it 180'...

Tighten it, to where there's no flop, but it can be moved up and down 1/2" to 1" without making a grunty noise...  
Harley goes way tighter than that... but as long as it's not able to slip a cog, it's fine...
I have 12" shocks, so I like a bit of leeway for travel...

Changing is easy,... pull the back wheel and the front cover plate.. that's it...  wait,.. might have to pull the left shock... no biggy, two bolts there...
I've never had to replace one...
My bike has 22k miles and the belt has no wear... other than, when I took an angle grinder to it, to make it shut up...
It's quiet now.... Wink

BP beat me to the post,....  not that I'm knockin' the 90' method... it just doesn't work for me...

a turtle, huh?....   That's cool... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 11/14/09 at 20:37:43

ok cool i was just wondering, i thought it would be like a fan belt, one day it just falls off LOL!!

and yes, i have a mississippi map turtle who claws fish til they are stunned and then eats them alive...lol!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 11/14/09 at 21:43:57

Uh,.....Huh.....    Undecided

Just so you know,... Harley's, Victory's, and  even Buell's, run on belts no bigger than ours...  maybe a bit smaller...
You could tow a bus with one of those things...

O.K.,... he's kinda' cute... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/14/09 at 23:18:32

with what little experience I have i do have to praise the belt on this bike. Been here two years and have looked here and elsewhere for instances of broken belts. Very very rare occurance. And half the time when a belt on a savage is damaged the owner keeps running it with no issue. That being said..im of the "when not if" school so you'll see me praising the chain conversion elsewhere.

Back to topic - make sure it doesnt squeek (a lot). If it does it's either misaligned (align it) or loose (tighten it).

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 11/15/09 at 05:46:41

that makes me feel better!!! i hate hearing the whole "little" thing from the other dudes lol

and he is cute...til he tries to bite your finger off!!

mine doesn't squeak too much, and it's brand new, i didn't see too many topics on it, now i know why!!!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/15/09 at 08:01:32

If its squeaking, its kissing power off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:17:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about belts!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.