Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cafe ala Carte - Update!!  Pics!!! (Read 765 times)
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Cafe ala Carte - Update!!  Pics!!!
10/31/09 at 18:40:22

Ok so here is an update on Café ala Carte.  I has been a slow summer with family things taking most of the time but now I am rolling again.  Basically the big accomplishment is I now have a rolling chassis so I can really get down to business.  

To fill anyone in that has not been following this (slow moving) project this is going to be a café bike built with a Savage engine at its heart.  The frame is a 1968 Wards Riverside Mojave 360 now modified to hold the Savage engine.  The Mojave was made by Benelli in Italy for Montgomery Wards which sold motorcycles during that era.  The frame is mild steel however it is a large diameter tube with a frame design that was a knock off of a Rickman racing frame so it is extremely stiff.

So here we go.  Here is a picture from late spring showing the basic look of the bike.  Note at this point the swing arm pivots are in the their stock position.  Later on these will be completely cut out and lowered 1-1/4”.

Now the first thing was to add mounting lugs for the Savage engine.  There was a cross bar up front that I had to cut out and then another big one behind the rear of the engine.  The front lugs were made by boring through the frame and inserting a drilled and tapped solid lug.  These mounts will hold bolt on front mount tabs.  They were welded in and then the outside welds ground smooth so they look integral to the frame.

The rear lower mount was made by again through boring the frame but this time inserting a tube to allow a full length cross bolt to go through from one side of the frame through the engine and out the other side of the frame.

The top engine mount was done similar to the lower with tubes inserted through the backbone tube.

Next the swing arm mount had to be lowered.  This frame was designed for a Benelli 650 twin which had a very high counter shaft.  Now it came to America with a 260cc or 360cc engine but it’s original intent was a 650cc twin.  (Using the 650 was scrapped before it ever went into production.  Eventually it did come wrapped in a new frame as the 650 Tornado.)

Many swing arm pivot plate designs were mocked up and this is the final choice.

Next new pivot mounts were turned up from 1 ½” solid stock and set in place in the frame jig

Next plates were cut from 3/16” steel.

These were welded in and here is what it looks like

Next it was on to moving the rear shock mounts outward 3/8” on both sides.  Here is a picture of the old shock mounts.  Note the 3/16” plate of the mount.

Instead of cutting out the old plate mounts the old studs were cut off and drilled out ..

and new section plates were fabricated to create a boxed section mount.

These were welded and ground smooth.  Then new studs were fabricated and welded in place.

The swing arm is from a GS450 with the pivot tube narrowed to match the frame width. Now there was a slight clearance issue with back end of the swing arm with regards to the sprocket bolts so part had to be machined away for clearance.

Then a 0.080” thick plate was cut and formed to fill in the relieved area of the swing arm and welded in place and ground smooth.

Now I have converted the belt drive to sprocket an moved that in-board 1/8” which was about the max I could shove it toward the engine and still clear the cases.  I am also moving the engine to the right in the frame 1/8” from center to allow for better chain clearance with the frame.  Even with that I had to cut scallops out of the frame tubes and weld in formed plates.  These were welded and ground smooth.

So here are more shots of the frame

The center stand is from a 1974 Suzuki GT250 with new mounts fabricated and welded to the frame.

Note this is a Savage rear hub laced into an 18” high shoulder (Akront style) rim off a mid ‘70’s Yamaha XS650.  The spokes are 8-9 gage stainless steel spokes from Buckanan spoke.  Interesting note was they had the spec’s on the front hub but had never made spokes for a Savage rear hub so I had to send them mine so they could measure it.

The sprocket is an aluminum for 520 chain.   To accomodate all the movement of rear chain inboard I had to move the entire sprocket hub inward which meant machining down the center boss that spaces out from the bearings as well as the drive webs of the crush drive.  This also meant the rubber crush blocks had to be thinned out.

Here is a shot from the right.

Note it has the Savage rear brake so the swing arm needed a tang welded on to for the brake arm to slide over.  This gives the rear brake a very clean look.

The front wheel is a 19” high shoulder rim (again from a mid 70’s  XS-650) laced to a Suzuki GS750 front hub.  The forks are from a GS500E with Race Tech springs and Gold valves.

One other thing I got done was making the dash surround to hold my digital dash.  This was machined by hand using a cross slide on a rotary table on a Bridgeport -  not with a CNC!!

Here it is sitting in the headlight shell which is from a 1964 Honda.  I chose it because not only was it time correct but it had the oval speedo opening that would just hold the digital dash.

So, now that I have a rolling chasis I can really get cranking on all the other components.

« Last Edit: 04/09/10 at 06:32:31 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Cafe ala Carte - Update!!  Pics!!!
Reply #1 - 10/31/09 at 19:10:57

Frikken WOW.. thats some great work, not to mention the vision.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/31/09 at 19:24:47

This is undoubtedly the best post that I have ever seen on this website.  So many hacksaw "customs" here - but this one looks like it could have come from a factory.  Well thought out and executed.  Keep the photos coming.  I'm retired now, but made my living as a registered professional engineer in Washington State.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #3 - 10/31/09 at 19:44:56

Thanks guys.  I am currently make my living as product developer (Mechanical Engineer), spun a wrench as a Suzuki mechanic in college, and build customs in my spare time (the little I have) to keep my sanity.

If you like this build take a look at my web site and check out Bad Attitude.

http://www.street-unique.com/

« Last Edit: 04/09/10 at 06:28:40 by smokin_blue »  
WWW   IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #4 - 10/31/09 at 22:45:41

You have both a talent and a gift for making things look right.  Take your place in the 1% of motorcycle modifiers that do a job fit for a museum.
I had a professor in college told me, "If it doesn't look right, it probably isn't".  Dr. Michael Seal and his students from Western Washington University went on to hand make about 20 extremely high milage and electric vehicles, entering them worldwide events.  Talent like that is hard to find.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 11/01/09 at 01:37:42

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Please keep the pics coming!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/01/09 at 04:31:15

Very Very nice work.
I like the way your mind works and wish I had your skills.  I remember from before that you had chosen this particular frame but did not realize that it was a takeoff from a Rickman design; very cool.
The wheel/rim choice is perfect.  The Goldstar I had ran 18" R & 19" F with newer aluminum rims just like the ones you have and I like that look a lot.  The weight savings on the rims is nice too.
Did you or do you have plans for engine work ?  I cannot remember.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 11/01/09 at 04:39:40

LANCER wrote on 11/01/09 at 04:31:15:

My engine/performance mods planned are as follows.  I have the street cam I bought from you and for now that is it for the engine, but then I bought a 36mm flat slide Mikuni (TM model) for the intake and I am going to run a 1.5" ID carbon steel header (plan to ceramic coat it) to a high flow polished stainless steel Pea Shooter muffler.  That combined should bring the performance up quite a bit.

Also went for sprocket combinations that set up either a stock gearing on the bottom end or about an 8-10% over on the top (I don't really remember now if it was 8 or 10% that I settled on).  I plan to start with the taller gearing.

Bike should weigh in about 300 lbs.

What I need to figure out is what shape air filter do I want.  The more modern cone shape or the old large flat cookie can style??

Thoughts?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/01/09 at 05:32:05

smokin_blue wrote on 11/01/09 at 04:39:40:
LANCER wrote on 11/01/09 at 04:31:15:

My engine/performance mods planned are as follows.  I have the street cam I bought from you and for now that is it for the engine, but then I bought a 36mm flat slide Mikuni (TM model) for the intake and I am going to run a 1.5" ID carbon steel header (plan to ceramic coat it) to a high flow polished stainless steel Pea Shooter muffler.  That combined should bring the performance up quite a bit.

Also went for sprocket combinations that set up either a stock gearing on the bottom end or about an 8-10% over on the top (I don't really remember now if it was 8 or 10% that I settled on).  I plan to start with the taller gearing.

Bike should weigh in about 300 lbs.

What I need to figure out is what shape air filter do I want.  The more modern cone shape or the old large flat cookie can style??

Thoughts?

My personal preference is for the cone shaped filters.  But that's just me.
I just found a bolt-on part on ebay from the Dennis Kirk clearance store...

Parts Unlimited  
Velocity Stack Flame Arrestor Adapter
Fits: 38mm Mik "3 Bolt" With Oil Injection
Not just your normal adapter. Features a built-in velocity stack for an added boost of performance

I got the thing for just $3 so I thought I would give it a try on the 38 mm carb kit setup just for the fun of it.

Q:  Why did you choose the 520 sprocket/chain set vs a 530 set ?

I was thinking you had the cam but could not remember for sure ... thanks for the brain help.
Are you not going to do any exhaust port work or get one of the Wiseco pistons for a few more cc's and/or bump in compression ?

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 11/01/09 at 07:48:44

wow!! and i thought painting my headlight was a big deal!! lol!

awesome job, i can't wait to hear how it runs! although, i'm sure you're having fun making it! must be nice to be so creative!!!

GOOD JOB!!!!!!  Cheesy

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 11/01/09 at 13:42:36

Shwing!!!.... Shocked

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #11 - 11/01/09 at 16:23:07

[quote author=3E333C3137206065520 link=1257039622/0#8 date=1257082325

Q:  Why did you choose the 520 sprocket/chain set vs a 530 set ?

I was thinking you had the cam but could not remember for sure ... thanks for the brain help.
Are you not going to do any exhaust port work or get one of the Wiseco pistons for a few more cc's and/or bump in compression ? [/quote]

I chose the 520 because it was thinner and lighter than 530 and a high quality (RK GB520XSO) chain can handle the power of modern 600-1000 cc sport bikes so it should handle the Savage just fine.

As far a engine mods I haven't decided yet.  I have a spare cyclinder I may bore out and I thought I had a fully modded head from Mike's Trikes but that didn't work out so well.  If I can get a spare head then I probably will mod it.  I don't know I still have a solid 6 months of work ahead of me with plenty of time to figure out how to spend more money!   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #12 - 11/01/09 at 17:02:46

still my favorite bike from this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #13 - 11/02/09 at 21:26:13

You do fantastic work blue, good to see a craftsman at work.
                                    Mick

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/02/09 at 22:13:26

Im not into cafe racers in a deep way but I've gotta say...the lengths you've gone to and the dedication you've invested...amazing. And better than that you seem to know what you're doing and what you're doing is a darn good job. It looks great. I can hardly wait for the finished product.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 06:32:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe ala Carte - Update!!  Pics!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.