Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm getting upset w/ poor low-throttle running (Read 415 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: I'm getting upset w/ poor low-throttle running
Reply #15 - 10/26/09 at 02:13:03

You've tried all the normal stuff but the symptom persists...makes me think you have a tiny bit of grit in the pilot system passages some where.  You said that once you get beyond 1/4 throttle it goes away; that's because you now bring in the needle/jet midrange circuit to supply more of the fuel and the slight blockage in the pilot system is no longer a major issue.  
As suggested above, if you loosen the clamps on both sides of the carb and just rotate it so the carb is horizontal, then remove the bowl cover and take out jets and the carb top/slide assembly as well if possible, then with compressed air or at least carb cleaner can, blow out the pilot circuit passages.  If you have time and can get access then do main circuit and needle jet as well...might as well as long as you are between dance tunes, eh ?  Cheesy

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/26/09 at 08:16:03

Blew out all the circuits.  Checked for vacuum leaks.  Checked float level.  Put original 52 pilot in, no holes.  Still have the problem.

Idles fine, weakens and bucks a little just off idle, worst at about 1/8 throttle maybe.  Right at 1/4 or a little less starts to improve, perfect at a bit over 1/4 and above.  

I think I'll put the 55 back in, maybe it's lean and just a weird feel.  If that doesn't do it, then I'll pull the carb and soak it.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 10/26/09 at 08:21:26

Grab the shaft the throttle cable is working & shake it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #18 - 10/26/09 at 08:30:53

I agree with putting in the 55 pilot, That's where I ended up before I traded carbs, You could try a vm if you really want to wake it up.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/26/09 at 08:40:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/26/09 at 08:21:26:
Grab the shaft the throttle cable is working & shake it.

What does that do?  It turns freely.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/28/09 at 07:49:56

See if its loose in the bushing. If it wiggles around too easy, it can leak. Then youd be sucking air there. NOW, I need to go look at the carb & see just how its built, OR someone else can say if this thing is totally a hare brained idea. Still, doesnt hurt to check, I havent seen anyone say anything about a bushing wearing out. On the carbs Ive seen it happen to, they were OLD, cars with loads of miles.. just a thot , tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/28/09 at 12:03:09

OK.  55 is in.  No shake in the throttle shaft.  It's not that old a bike really.  The carb is clean clean inside.  So it's a bit odd.

Now on accel or decel I have a nice lean notch from just off idle to somewhere right around 1/4 throttle.  I can tell it's lean by running in that throttle position (a nice setting for my country road riding) and popping out the enrichment knob one click - the running settles in nicely with a little extra kick of fuel drained in.

My understanding is that this would be the pilot range.  

So.  I have the white spacer in.  Does that impact the pilot range?  If so, I can pull it out.  Otherwise, I'll pull the carb, tear it down, and run a guitar string through all the passages I can reach, blow them out, make sure they're running clean.

If that doesn't work, I'll buy some jeweler's reamers (actually, I'll get my dad to bring his this weekend) and make myself a 56, 57, 59 or wherever it ends up!  

On the other hand, the bike runs great over 1/4 throttle - very strong.  65 mph on the highway, just purrs along.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 10/28/09 at 12:11:49

Try some Seaform in it the slide could be sticking.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/28/09 at 13:28:11

Slide should be fine - moves very freely, just cleaned.  And I routinely run seafoam.  Possibly one of the reasons the carb is always sparkly.  If it was crudded up this would make more sense!!  But it's spotless inside.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #24 - 10/30/09 at 05:48:42

I almost hate to jump in, but with all you've said, it really sounds like you have an obstruction in one of the passages. Maybe some seafoam would clean it out - "varnish" can be very tenacious, but a good cleaning of the carb, making absotively, posilutely sure that the passages are clean sounds like possibly the only solution.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #25 - 10/30/09 at 07:05:03

Have you checked your valve clearance?  If they are too tight, they may be leaving the valves partially open, leading to a lean mixture and incomplete combustion....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/30/09 at 13:03:29

Valves are perfect.  Carb has been out and blown out.  But I ran for 1500 miles w/o a fuel filter, so I could have picked up a piece of junk.

Think I'll pull, blow out all passages thoroughly, put in equivalant of 1/2 white spacer, and see how that does.

Thanks all.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #27 - 10/30/09 at 14:34:03

Have you tried it WITHOUT the filter since???  You could be sucking air through the filter.....  Try a straight piece of fuel line and see if it improves...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 10/30/09 at 14:57:02

voldigicam wrote on 10/30/09 at 13:03:29:
Valves are perfect.  Carb has been out and blown out.  But I ran for 1500 miles w/o a fuel filter, so I could have picked up a piece of junk.

Think I'll pull, blow out all passages thoroughly, put in equivalant of 1/2 white spacer, and see how that does.

Thanks all.

Don't just blow the passageways with air, use the wire to run through each of the holes to know for sure that they are clear.  The little brass tube that sticks down into the bowl is easy to clog.  It has a hole on the very end and two ... one on each side ... on each side of the tube.

Did you pull the little cover on the right side ?  The one with the 3 screws ?  The passageways inside are connected to the pilot system and the choke system and to the brass tube that is in the bowl.  Some of the carbs have a tiny jet inside the 3-screw cover, down inside one of the holes.  Did you pull it out and clean it and the passage below it ?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #29 - 10/30/09 at 16:51:09

Why do I almost hate to chime in also, but I must.

I agree to clean all passages in the carb, because after all that has been done, it is not just a metering adjustment or jet size problem.

And just for info for those that don't know, (I'm sure the mechs here already know) if an engine is idling good, there is no intake manifold, or vacumn leak, nor are the valves too tight. At idle is the first place these problems will show up. Even a vacumn leak from a worn throttle shaft will show first at idle.

Also, if an engine runs good at WOT, there is no problem w/ the air and fuel delivery system, which includes the air filter, the fuel filter, the main jet, and the main gas line from the tank to the carb.

« Last Edit: 10/30/09 at 19:03:32 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:17:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm getting upset w/ poor low-throttle running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.