Send Topic Print
Float charger leads (Read 251 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Float charger leads
10/26/09 at 13:28:18

I was thinking of attaching a couple of 14# wire to my battery to attach my float charger to next  season,and just capping them off and letting them stay there. .The float charger instructions from harbor freight say don't attach charger while battery is in vehicle,also loosen battery caps while charging .I know we went through the battery caps discussion already ,but can you attach your float charger to the bike every time you get off it ,without taking the battery out ? Seems like alot of people do it.This is probably another lawyer generated idea. Right? Thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Float charger leads
Reply #1 - 10/26/09 at 13:35:23

Warning don't take them there caps off.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/09 at 13:42:35

The float charger I use provides a wire set that is permanently attached under the battery cables and at the other end is a female connector with a protective cap, that fits into the male end of the actual charger.  It is meant to stay on the bike for convenience sake, and the instructions do not say to remove the battery from the bike.   They do say to remove the caps.  My charger puts out 500mA.  I've used it according to manuf. recommendations, and had no problems.  Your charger is different than mine, but I hope this may help you in deciding what to do.

IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/26/09 at 15:11:34

Why do you suggest NOT to take the battery caps off ?

I thought this was common practice when charging a battery.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/09 at 15:13:12

nicholas wrote on 10/26/09 at 15:11:34:

Read this entire thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256326871

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/26/09 at 15:25:29

nicholas wrote on 10/26/09 at 15:11:34:

I was joking

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 10/27/09 at 05:11:43

A good read
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23331296.cfm

My advise will always be to NEVER remove caps while charging !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/09 at 08:54:14

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23331296.cfm

(QUOTES FROM THE ABOVE LINK):

"Hi,

WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO DO A REALLY HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGE, IT IS BEST TO REMOVE THE CAPS TO NOT OVER PRESSURIZE THE BATTERY. There is a lot of hydrogen going out of the battery when you get it up to 14.4 volts for a equalize charge. It will also allow a little more heat out of the battery.

When at a normal charge rate of 13.2 or 13.5, it is not a requirement to remove the caps from normal batteries.

I equalize the battery about every 3 months. It insures the battery does not get a hard build-up of sulfur on the battery plates, and makes sure everything will last a long time.

Good luck,
Fred"

"The information probably came from the "product liability" legal section of the company. IF THE CAPS ARE OFF THERE CAN'T BE A BUILD UP OF HYDROGEN TO EXPLODE and they have no chance of a law suit. It's not likely that any maintenance style charger when operating properly could ever build up pressure greater than the vents could handle but it JUST MIGHT BE POSSIBLE FOR THE CHARGER TO NOT WORK PROPERLY AND/OR THE VENTS BECOME CLOGGED BY SOME MEANS.  If these unlikely thing should occur the company doesn't want any liability."

"worked in an exide battery plant here back in the mid 90S....HAD A FEW EXPLODE WHILE BEING CHARGED....ya don't wanna be in the same room with em when they do.
they don't put the caps on em when they initialy charge them at the factory, for whatever that is worth....of course they dump the acid out and refill em with a different specific gravety acid for the final shipment to the stores.
steve"

As the above link provided by Routy indicates,  batteries can swell or explode,  if venting is insufficient or the charger malfunctions.  Thats why you remove the caps when charging, in a well ventilated area with no flame or spark present.  

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #8 - 10/27/09 at 10:07:03

I have a harbor freight float charger .They told me its 600 ma. They also told me if I was going to charge the battery while its on the bike I have to disconnect the battery cables from the bike. Does anyone know if that is really necessary? I was thinking of sticking a couple of 14# wires on it so I can connect easily .I probably should have got the more expensive battery tender ,oh well.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/27/09 at 10:14:16

I do not disconnect my battery cables when using my 500mA float charger, and have experienced no problems as a result.  Hope this helps.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 10/27/09 at 11:12:20

Thanks Gort,that is helpful .Do you think it would be unwise for any reason to put the float charger on a timer .I was thinking it would be better if it was off while I'm sleeping at night .

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/27/09 at 11:29:29

I don't know if that is necessary, and I don't want to give you an opinion without backing it up with links, because unsupported opinions are unreliable, at best.  Chargers can and do malfunction, and in doing so can exceed their stated output.  Do you have any instructions at all with your charger?  If you don't, are you near a Harbor freight and Tool store?  If not, tell me the exact make and model number of your charger and I will go to my local Harbor Freight and Tool store and try to find it, and read the instruction sheet for you.  How about a link to the pic of it on the Harbor Freight web site...or a pic from a digital camera posted here?  Would help me ID it.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 10/27/09 at 12:21:15

I appreciate that ,but I can email the company .Thanks.

Here's my charger. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/27/09 at 12:44:48

rl153 wrote on 10/27/09 at 12:21:15:
I appreciate that ,but I can email the company .Thanks.

Here's my charger. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42292

Here is your instruction sheet.  It is interesting to read that it says not to leave it unattended for long periods of time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/42000-42999/42292.PDF

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #14 - 10/27/09 at 12:57:31

I probably shouldn't have bought this .It's kind of cheap ,and possibly unreliable .I emailed the company and they told me not to connect it to the bike while the battery is connected ,because It could damage the electronics on the bike .I don't see how if the ignition is off ,and some chargers provide leads to do just that .I don't know .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:40:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float charger leads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.