Float Charger (Read 574 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Float Charger
Reply #45 - 10/28/09 at 18:32:29

Nope, that would be CONfused..

Id pull the battery & reinstall & see what it does.

BTW, How did you hook it up & what scale was it on when things went so badly?

Also, you arent the only guy who can blow something up. I have a 50' extension cord I use for an extension speaker wire out in the garage, so I can listen online while I work out there. I hooked a wall socket into one of my computer speakers & hooked a male plug on a speaker out there. I leaned over, unplugged the circular saw & plugged my speaker in... It sounded like it sneezed real loud,, then, Nothin,, just plain blowed her UP, Daddeeeooo,, But, thats okay, I hooked it to a better speaker.. hope I dont screw up again.

Harbor Freight has a decent little meter for about $3.00 that will go to ( IIRC) 10 Amps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #46 - 10/28/09 at 18:35:10

I tried that ,didn't help.I sent it back to the company.Maybee they will warranty it .It's only 5 months old.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #47 - 10/28/09 at 18:42:46

I added stuff, above.
What kinda meter was/is it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #48 - 10/28/09 at 18:56:44

Thanks for the info on harbor freight meter . It was a $20 walmart ETEK ,but I had to send it back to the manufacturer ,as the store warranty passed .I fried my stereo.I was spraying contact cleaner on the volume dial ,but forgot you can't do that with the power on .OOps.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #49 - 10/28/09 at 20:08:31

YIKES! Sorry about the stereo.. Big Bummer..Hopefully it wasnt an old tube type..

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #50 - 10/31/09 at 17:08:21

I happened to find the instruction sheet for the battery maintainer I am using. It said the charger/maintainer is to be used on sealed lead-acid batteries only, so I have already erred. That also makes the question of removing battery caps moot. The instruction sheet says the maintainer will bulk charge at 2000 milliamps (2 amps) until the terminal voltage reaches 14.4 volts. It will then taper off the charge, holding the voltage at 14.4 volts, until the charge current decreases to 500 milliamps. It will then maintain the battery voltage at 13.6 volts. If the battery voltage decreases to 13.0 volts, the maintainer will switch back to bulk charge mode. Its described behavior agrees reasonably well with the behavior I observed.

I think the 13.6 volts for a flooded-cell battery is just a little high. Backing that up, today after the battery had been on float charge, I chose to tip it backwards, to see if any bubbles had been trapped under the plates. A good-sized bubble rose from each of the six cells, which tells me the float charger has been dissociating water from the electrolyte. Over time, this would run the battery dry. Note that a sealed battery would probably have some provision such as a catalyst for recombining this dissociated water, where a flooded-cell battery allows the water to be replenished. I think that, if you plan to use some sort of automatic battery maintainer on a flooded-cell battery, you will need to check the electrolyte every month or so.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #51 - 10/31/09 at 17:31:58

You only need to charge a battery every 3-4 months with a 2 amp charger and your battery will last a lot longer and you want have to put water in it.

« Last Edit: 10/31/09 at 19:27:56 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #52 - 10/31/09 at 19:22:40

Charon,
You're right, 13.6 is a little high for a normal float charger, w/ most being at 13.2 - 4. But in cooler weather 13.6 is not a problem, and it will use very little water also. In very cold weather, float voltage can even go into the 14v catagory, and be fine and also use little water. A hi $ temperature compensating charger will change the float voltage automatically according to the temperature.
There are charts on some battery sites showing what temps will tolerate what float voltages. I do know that in hot temps of 95 deg+, 13.2 should be a max voltage to not loose water.

Also, I have always used the same float chargers on SLA AGM as I use on regular lead acid, and have never had a problem, even tho the AGM have a little higher standing voltage.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float Charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.