Send Topic Print
Float Charger (Read 574 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Float Charger
Reply #15 - 10/24/09 at 18:00:02

Could we PLEASE address the point of the thread? This is about using a FLOAT CHARGER.
Once again, I ask, is the output of a float charger more or less than the alternator? IF its less, then whats the big deal? The answer is obvious enough. We dont need to debate what happens if we hook a totally drained battery to a million amp charger. We are talking about a batter, topped off with H2O, commected to a charger that SENSES the Voltage & shuts OFF, doesnt Boil the thing dry, shuts OFF, & maintains the charge. Thats all.
My opinion? With no numbers to look at? The float charger cant put out enough current to create a hazardous situation unless someone TRies to confine the Hydrogen & create it intentionally. The ones I got at Harbor Freight specifically styated NOT to hook it up to a battery that was discharged, because it would ruin the Float Charger. It CANT produce that amount of current. Its just a tiny thing. No way can it even hang with our pukey alternators, so why get all freaked out about the caps? Its NOT gonna swell or pop the battery, I PROMISE,,
Is it POssible to have a problem with a charger & battery? Yea, I guess so.. but it AINT Gonna happen with a flippin little float charger on a fully charged, topped off battery. Its not trying to RE charge a battery, its only maintaining it. crap,,enough already,
If someone is so anal they simply MUST pull the caps, then by all means, pull the darned things OFF, but, whatever evaporation I will see, you will see more. Whatever corrosion you will see due to fumes in the area, I will see less. Enjoy your charger..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 10/24/09 at 18:59:43

I never had a float charger and would never buy one because a small cheap charger will work and you know by the charger if your battery is good you don't know that with a float charger.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 10/24/09 at 19:07:11

The idea behind the float is to hook it up & walk away. An occasional check on the battery H2O & V, till you become either unable to trust it or trust it.. well,, you get it,, maybe

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/24/09 at 19:15:00

Justin, why do the manufacturers of the float chargers which I have provided links for, tell you to remove the caps?  They just don't dream this stuff up.  Perhaps it is because the float charger charges for longer periods of time than alternators, because an alternator does not once the battery is brought up to specs?  And how can you be sure the charger will only be used to top up an already charged battery, and not one thats been sitting and lost its charge?   Alternators with faulty regulators that keep throwing their full amp capacity into a battery have exploded those batteries.

No one here with an electrical engineering degree has responded to the questions and comments in this thread with a detailed explanation.  All the readers have to go on is someone's speculation, or, links to manufacturers of this equipment.  In a science like this a person can't just assume something because it makes sense to his limited understanding of that science.  Again, unless someone is fully versed in the theories involved, the wise choice is to listen to the engineers who designed the equipment.

Whats really important here is that many uniformed people visit this site asking for advice.  Sometimes the things they ask about have safety ramifications they may not be aware of, such as in this thread. To provide them with answers like "Trust me", or "Use your God given common sense", or "Believe me, I know for sure",  without documenting you know for sure with fact links, is irresponsible. Somebody could get hurt believing another person's uninformed opinion.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 10/24/09 at 19:52:51

Maybe because they have a lawyer who says if they dont it will leave them "exposed"?

& Like I said, IF,, NOTE IF, IF,, THEN, THEN,, follow a logical progression,IF it truly performs as Advertised then it shuts off when the battery is charged & turns on when needed, JUST LIKE AN alternator operating behind a V regulator. & has limited, as in VERY LOW current carrying capacity. Have you LOOKED at the wires on a float charger? Theyre wimpier than speaker wires. How are they gonna make a battery boil? Not gonna happen..At least, not on the Harbor Freight units, way too wimpy.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/24/09 at 20:09:03

You may well be right.  But until I hear an electrical engineer explain it to me, I can't assume anything, and will follow manufacturer's instructions.  Better to err on the side of safety, especially when it is SO easy to remove the caps.  Also, its not a matter of boiling the battery, its a matter of pressure build up as a result of charging.  The battery doesn't have to boil to build up pressure.

But whats more important here is that readers have been told you never have to take the caps off a battery when charging with ANY charger.  Thats dangerous advice.  We are not taking about something as inane as what oil is best , we are talking about batteries bursting.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 10/24/09 at 20:15:55

Well, Im no EE, but the USAF did force feed me electronics for 9 months & I have a few hours more that an associates degree in electronics, that, coupled with some experience in repair of electro-mechanical equipment,, I feel pretty good about what i said. I Would watch one, before I just walked away, all trusting. but the amps that can go down the wires on mine? Very small wires, very few amps & no way would it charge the battery more than the alternator. Physical impossibility.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 10/24/09 at 21:30:18

Quoted by Gort ?
Ensure all connections are tight. See that the vent holes are clear and open. DO NOT  REMOVE  BATTERY  CARS  DURING CHARGING. This prevents acid from spraying onto the top of the battery and keeps dirt out of the cells.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Talk about being played for a fool !!
The above is just one of several of that loooooooong list of batt charging websites, that say to not remove caps while charging.

Several more don't say one way or the other.

A few more say to follow Batt MFGs instructions

One of them is unreadable

There is a couple that say to remove caps

So, a bunch of really stupid websites that don't prove anything, except that the MFGs (some are not MFGs) can't even agree on cap removal.

I guess Gort didn't think that anyone was really stupid enough to read them. Bad me !

BTW, I had forgot to mention,...I attended 2 battery seminars during my GM automotive training years ago, (general motors training center, San Leandro, Ca) and both sessions stressed saftey reasons to never remove caps while charging. This and plain ole common sense told me I have enough experience to post advice on this. And this is the only place that has ever even questioned what should be common sense. I'm not sure what that tells me, but I have a good idea. Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/24/09 at 22:31:00

Routy wrote on 10/24/09 at 21:30:18:
Quoted by Gort ?
Ensure all connections are tight. See that the vent holes are clear and open. DO NOT  REMOVE  BATTERY  CARS  DURING CHARGING. This prevents acid from spraying onto the top of the battery and keeps dirt out of the cells.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Talk about being played for a fool !!
The above is just one of several of that loooooooong list of batt charging websites, that say to not remove caps while charging.

Several more don't say one way or the other.

A few more say to follow Batt MFGs instructions

One of them is unreadable

There is a couple that say to remove caps

So, a bunch of really stupid websites that don't prove anything, except that the MFGs (some are not MFGs) can't even agree on cap removal.

I guess Gort didn't think that anyone was really stupid enough to read them. Bad me !

BTW, I had forgot to mention,...I attended 2 battery seminars during my GM automotive training years ago, (general motors training center, San Leandro, Ca) and both sessions stressed saftey reasons to never remove caps while charging. This and plain ole common sense told me I have enough experience to post advice on this. And this is the only place that has ever even questioned what should be common sense. I'm not sure what that tells me, but I have a good idea. Roll Eyes

"THE  ABOVE IS JUST ONE OF SEVERAL OF THAT LOOOOOOONG LIST OF BATT CHARGING WEBSITES, THAT SAY TO NOT REMOVE CAPS WHILE CHARGING."

WRONG AGAIN!

"SEVERAL MORE DON'T SAY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER."

WRONG AGAIN!

"A FEW MORE SAY TO FOLLOW bATT MFGS INSTRUCTIONS."

WRONG AGAIN!

"THERE ARE A COUPLE THAT SAY TO REMOVE THE CAPS."

WRONG AGAIN!

Links 1 through 5, 8,9 10 and 14 all tell you to follow the manufacturer's instructions as to whether or not to remove the caps.

Links 6,7 and `13 tell you to remove the caps.

Link 11 says nothing either way and was a mistake entry.

Link 12 tells you to leave the caps on.

Did you even bother to read the links?  Try again.  And if one is "UNREADABLE"  because the print is too small for you, use the enlargement icon at the top of the link and enlarge it.  Thats why they put it there.

"THERE ISN'T A BATTERY CHARGER OUT THERE THAT PUTS OUT MORE THAN 40 AMPS."

WRONG AGAIN!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871240000P?mv=rr

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331048_.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200331048_...

"THERE AIN'T AN ALTERNATOR OUT THERE THAT PUTS OUT LESS THAN 60 AMPS."

WRONG AGAIN!

1973 Volkswagen: 25 Amps
1970 Toyota Corolla: 30 Amps
1980 MGB: 45 Amps
1975 Nissan: 50 Amps...the list is endless.

You've lost your credibilty because you deliberately tried to misrepresent what my links said in order to win an argument, and because your statements about charger capacities and alternators are wrong.  Calling 13 websites describing manufacturers safety precautions and instructions "REALLY STUPID",  is desperation to win an argument.  Saying that I didn't think anyone was really stupid enough to read the links I provided, is wrong.  I didn't think anyone would have been stupid enough to mis-read them.

After all these errors, do you really think anyone should take your advice seriously?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 10/24/09 at 22:55:43

& Im wrong? Why?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 10/25/09 at 06:15:57

My statements were correct, never thinking that anyone would have to dig way back into the 70's to prove the alternators wrong.

And I guess Gort doesn't know what a portable bench charger is either, having to resort to the largest commercial chargers on the market to prove that wrong, as if we all have commercial chargers setting in our garages. (I do have one in my shop)

At least now we know,...everytime Gort charges a battery, he first looks to see which brand charger he is using to know whether to take the caps off or not, only because batt MFGs can't agree whether to take the caps off or not. I'd really be curious to know if Gort thinks you can't set a battery on a concrete floor w/o it dying either.

Again I say, taking caps off a battery is as much a myth as the concrete floor. The very fact that it can't even be agreed on should tell a person that the "myth" has even  the batt MFGs confused. And the battery "Grus" are so confused on it, that they tell you to follow the MFGs instructions, who themselves don't know what to tell you.

Really, ?? Yeah,....just a little common sense,....or is it the lack of it, tells it all !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #26 - 10/25/09 at 06:29:21

Nowhere was the question addressed - what does one do with batteries such as the much-touted Big Crank, on which the caps are not removable?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/25/09 at 06:38:30

Functionally, if the clear vent tube isn't crimped it suffices to carry off all gases produced during normal use.  I never had an issue with it carrying off the charging gasses as well.

Count me amongst the ignorant masses on this one (blissfully ignorant).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/25/09 at 07:22:52

If the battery is in the motorcycle I leave the caps on and tight,I if its out I take off the caps,So my batteries get the best of both worlds.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/25/09 at 08:09:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/24/09 at 22:55:43:
& Im wrong? Why?

Justin if you are addressing me, as I said you may well be right.  No one in this thread has been able to prove he is right.  What has been proven is that there are pros and cons on this issue.  It is my suggestion that either know what your battery and equipment manufacturers recommend and follow their advice, and if you don't know, then err on the side of caution and take the caps off.

Here is an interesting link describing how overcharging due to faulty chargers can cause a battery to explode:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5099009_causes-car-battery-overcharge.html

Here are 2 links describing how a battery can swell, due to an  alternator having a defective voltage regulator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_battery#Exploding_batteries

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090616152716AAmSTZ3

Here are 2 links suggesting that a battery can be overcharged and swell because its vents are insufficient to release the pressure:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090224040553AAu6VBD

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Car_battery#4.

The 'net is full of these stories.  Clearly, charging a battery can cause it to swell or split open if the pressure cannot get out fast enough.  Charging it too quickly by one of the commonly available home battery chargers could do this.  An unregulated alternator could do this.  You can't ride around with your battery caps off in your car just in case the voltage regulator fails, but you can remove the caps of a battery you are charging at home.  Why? Because a charger can malfunction and overcharge without you knowing it until its too late, or because the floor model charger that so many people have in their garages is capable of charging the battery faster than its vents can handle the pressure, or because some of those vents are clogged.

Remember, uniformed readers look to this site for advice, and it is irresponsible to tell them they don't have to take the caps off.  Suppose their caps are clogged?  Suppose their charger is able to charge faster than the battery can vent?  If you are going to advise someone, tell them the whole story and provide links.  Don't just say "I know" or "Use your God given common sense", and expect them to believe you. Those aren't answers.  Thats the kind of bull$hit you hear in bars from guys who think they know everything. Common sense tells you research the facts, and to play it safe.  

« Last Edit: 10/26/09 at 15:23:21 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Float Charger

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.