air filter question (Read 164 times)
cunn1780
YaBB Newbies

My '87 Savage is
older than me

Norman, OK
air filter question
10/19/09 at 20:08:50

need to replace the air filter in my '87... anyone have any suggestions?

I have found an OEM replacement, but am also looking at K &N filters, although they only go back until like 98. Did the filters change at all before that?

Thanks!

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum..."
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: air filter question
Reply #1 - 10/19/09 at 21:18:48

filter is the same through all years. If you're looking for a cheap high flow filter you should look into old fellers method. I think its in the tech section.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/19/09 at 21:40:14

Here is the ultimate in air filter tests.  As you can see, nothing filters as good as a factory paper air filter.  To determine how well a filter actually filters the air, requires sophisticated equipment under strict test conditions.  You cannot see everything that gets past a filter, hence the need for proper testing equipment.

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 23:47:39

The K&N filter listed fits all the bikes, they just don't bother listing older models.

There are many paths to take on air filtration with the key question for you to ask is "how much trade off on catching the little fine dust stuff am I willing to make to get some performance increase?"

Gort likes stock filters because they work better catching small stuff (and they do work better catching fine stuff - no argument there).  If you find you want some performance increase, then there are a range of increases/trade offs you can make.  Here is the listing thread for those options -- also tells you the adjustments/rejetting you need to make for each option level so you don't get surprised after you do it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244205111

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/20/09 at 06:42:04

I agree with O.F. about this matter.  Myself I use a cheap cotton mesh, filter oil treated stainless steel cone filter which is good for filtering little more than rocks and sticks.  But I like the loud sound, and it allows the additional airflow needed for for my having re-jetted the carb and installed a freer flowing muffler.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 10/20/09 at 06:55:33

I took the stock filter and welded the corners where the plates join.
Then I sprayed gas on it and burnt it.
Then I slightly sand blasted it till it was free of paper and glue.
Then I painted it with epoxy black paint.
Then I bought Poly urethane foam from craft store for 6 bucks a yard. AKA big enough to cover the bike.
Cut a square slightly larger than the filter.
Then cut a 45 degree bevel in one edge - the egde that goes where there is a 45 degree in the filter.
Then use a pick and scredriver and pliers to pry out that curled edge on the frame.
Then put the foam in the filter frame.
Lightly oil it with foam filter oil.
Drive by the local suzuki dealers (if there is more than 1, drive by all of them) with the new filter in your hand and give them the finger.
Then ride by the harley delaers and repeat. Filter not required for this step. You can conversly laugh @ them in they are a harley Buell dealer and they still have the buell sign, and buell bikes on the show room floor.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 10/20/09 at 07:12:16

Arthur wrote on 10/19/09 at 21:40:14:
Here is the ultimate in air filter tests..

..for dry filters that don't change in weight due to evaporation of the filter oil and/or solvents.  This concludes my participation in this thread Wink
<hides behind tree to avoid laser>

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #7 - 10/20/09 at 10:12:35

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/20/09 at 11:12:29

Boule’tard wrote on 10/20/09 at 07:12:16:
Arthur wrote on 10/19/09 at 21:40:14:
Here is the ultimate in air filter tests..

..for dry filters that don't change in weight due to evaporation of the filter oil and/or solvents.  This concludes my participation in this thread Wink
<hides behind tree to avoid laser>

Although I respect both you and your opinions, the engineers who designed and ran these tests would disagree with you.  

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 10/20/09 at 13:45:39

If someone had access to a dynamometer, it might be interesting to run a few tests. First, test with the stock OEM filter to get a baseline. Next, remove the filter completely, but close up the airbox, and test again. If there is no difference, then nothing you do in way of a freer-flowing filter will help, because you can't get freer-flowing than no filter at all. Next, remove the airbox cover, or the whole airbox, and run another test. That ought to reveal whether the airbox causes any restrictions. Study your results - and report them here for the edification of others. Remember to make only one change at a time, so as to not confuse the issue and yourself wondering which change made the difference.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #10 - 10/20/09 at 14:18:46

would a larger surface area K&n filter better then a smaller surface area k&n filter?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/20/09 at 14:19:53

You could use a furnace filter,you will have no pollen,mold spores, dust debris, smoke, pet dander, any dust smog,bacteria,particles that can carry viruses any odor.It only about $2 a piece,because you can get 12 out of one filter.After many years you will still have a virgin engine. And you have a 1900  performance rating.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/20/09 at 15:15:44

Charon wrote on 10/20/09 at 13:45:39:
If someone had access to a dynamometer, it might be interesting to run a few tests. First, test with the stock OEM filter to get a baseline. Next, remove the filter completely, but close up the airbox, and test again. If there is no difference, then nothing you do in way of a freer-flowing filter will help, because you can't get freer-flowing than no filter at all. Next, remove the airbox cover, or the whole airbox, and run another test. That ought to reveal whether the airbox causes any restrictions. Study your results - and report them here for the edification of others. Remember to make only one change at a time, so as to not confuse the issue and yourself wondering which change made the difference.

Members have already seen a hint of the results you are looking for.  Some have tried re-jetting without changing the stock muffler and air filter, and have reported spark plug fouling from too rich a mixture, thus giving a decrease in power.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/20/09 at 15:16:48

bill67 wrote on 10/20/09 at 14:19:53:
  You could use a furnace filter,you will have no pollen,mold spores, dust debris, smoke, pet dander, any dust smog,bacteria,particles that can carry viruses any odor.It only about $2 a piece,because you can get 12 out of one filter.After many years you will still have a virgin engine. And you have a 1900  performance rating.

Ah Bill!  I almost fell off my chair laughing at that one!  Keep up the good work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 23:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.