Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake caliper frozen shut (Read 352 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Brake caliper frozen shut
Reply #15 - 11/15/09 at 09:51:30

You could fill it w/ brake fluid. Then plumb into it & adapt to a grease zerk & use a grease gun. Maybe just squeezing the lever will get it, dont run out of fluid in the master cylinder, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #16 - 11/15/09 at 11:13:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/15/09 at 09:51:30:
You could fill it w/ brake fluid. Then plumb into it & adapt to a grease zerk & use a grease gun. Maybe just squeezing the lever will get it, dont run out of fluid in the master cylinder, tho.

Ok Justin, that's what happened to me. What's the trick on bleeding the brakes when the MC reservoir runs dry?

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/15/09 at 11:21:58

In this case, it's ok to reuse the brake fluid as you're going to pull it apart and replace it anyway.  If you had started with a clean container, just pour it back in.  keep going until all the bubbles are out.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 11/15/09 at 11:33:39

Sometimes when the m/c runs dry, its hard to get the fluid to go down into the piston/pump the lever operates. Just dump the fluid in & pump the lever.. if that doesnt get it, try vibrating the bars a bit, if thats a no go, you may have to slightly pressurize the M/C reservoir. I did. It was pretty tricky, so explaining it would take forever, just have to be creative. Hopefully, it wont come to that.

OHH yea, you might be able to suck the fluid down, if you can get vacuum on the hose or the caliper,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #19 - 11/15/09 at 23:35:20

i have to fill an ink syringe with fluid stick it on the hole in the master cylinder and open bleed hole and squeeze the fluid in

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #20 - 11/16/09 at 15:41:42

Installed the new caliper today and then went to get the top off the Master Cylinder reservoir to start the bleed. One of the darn phillips screw heads was stripped down to a round hole. Stopped me dead in my tracks. Went to Sears and bought a screw extraction kit. My project for tomorrow.

FSO
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/17/09 at 01:42:25

photojoe FSO wrote on 11/16/09 at 15:41:42:
Installed the new caliper today and then went to get the top off the Master Cylinder reservoir to start the bleed. One of the darn phillips screw heads was stripped down to a round hole. Stopped me dead in my tracks. Went to Sears and bought a screw extraction kit. My project for tomorrow.

I learned quickly not to even bother with those screw without an impact driver.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #22 - 11/17/09 at 12:59:59

Screw came right out with the extractor.

As I figured going in, there's no  pressure at all with the fluid. Lever has zero resistance. So, no bleeding yet. Going to have to buy a pump from Harbor Freight.

Quick question: Do the fluid holes in the brake hose and bolt by the caliper have to line up at all? Makes sense that thy do, but no mention of it in the clymer.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 11/17/09 at 13:59:14

No, you don't have to line up any holes.  There's a recess in the banjo that lets fluid go between holes.

How to start fluid going in a dry hose.  open the bleeder and leave it open.  Put a tube on it and drop it into a jar.  Fill up the master and either go scratch your @$$ somewhere else or have a beer   Smiley  It'll start by itself.  Keep the master full.

WWW   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #24 - 11/18/09 at 10:58:24

verslagen1 wrote on 11/17/09 at 13:59:14:
No, you don't have to line up any holes.  There's a recess in the banjo that lets fluid go between holes.

How to start fluid going in a dry hose.  open the bleeder and leave it open.  Put a tube on it and drop it into a jar.  Fill up the master and either go scratch your @$$ somewhere else or have a beer   Smiley  It'll start by itself.  Keep the master full.

Advice taken, and job complete with no need to spend money on a brake bleeder pump.

A few feet of 14" clear hose, a clean jar and a little patience. Installed the EBC pads as well. Now I'll focus on changing the rear brake shoes.

FSO
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #25 - 11/21/09 at 12:58:16

i used an ink syringe filled with fluid, poke end in hole in master cylinder and pump the fluid in manually until the leaver works

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake caliper frozen shut

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.