Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Brake caliper frozen shut (Read 352 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Brake caliper frozen shut
10/19/09 at 13:23:26

It's been a month since I was attacked by a car resulting in a torn rotator cuff. Although I'm unable to ride, I've been firing up the bike once a week and doing one arm cleaning and waxing.

Last week I noticed that the front brake lever was stiff. I gave it some thought, knowing that this was not a good sign but covered the bike back up for the time being. Today I gave it a closer look and noticed the caliper is frozen shut with the brake pads squeezing the rotor. Did a bit of research and it sounds like the piston is stuck in place. Could be from the bike sitting in the cold rain for the past week, or just because it's a 22 year old bike. The brake line parts are pretty rusted also.

I'm guessing that I'm not going to get out of this without removing the caliper and trying to get the piston free so I can clean it out. Not an easy task, especially with one arm. I was going to replace the pads before my surgery next week, but it seems like I'm in for a total tear down of the front brake system, including a bleed.

I'm also thinking that it may be easier to just replace the caliper with a newer used one, and clean out the old one when I'm a bit more healthier. I'm fairly certain the one on there is the original.

I'll be totally out of commission for 1-2 months after surgery and won't be able to perform this type of work.

Any tips on getting this done the simplest way possible would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brake caliper frozen shut
Reply #1 - 10/19/09 at 15:47:59

Anything can be done if you have the patience, and of course a little help from time to time.
I'd get your parts and see what you can do.
Can't do it?  put it in a box and send it to me or someone closer.
I've never done one on this bike, but broke my eye teeth on vdub brake cylinders.  1st thing my dad let me do by myself.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #2 - 10/19/09 at 17:25:28

Could be froozen. Try the hair drier on it.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 18:52:18

Squirt a little penetrating oil on the pins the caliper rides on & walk away. Next dat, use a rubber mallet on the caliper, see if it will move back & forth at all. If so, that will drive the piston back into the caliper. If that doesnt work, crack the bleeder & smack it again. Its possible the master cylinder is stuck in the "Pressurize the line" mode. If the lever is not all the way out, & swinging freely, the problem may be up high,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 10/19/09 at 18:55:00

Dj12midnit wrote on 10/19/09 at 17:25:28:
Could be froozen. Try the hair drier on it.

Joe,
 He must know the weather here on the east coast.....  Wink

The Salt air of living a few blocks away from the Atlantic ocean and the wonderful weather we have had lately probably caused some corrosion build-up.

So, as a Photo wizard (award winning I must add to those that don't know) do you have alcohol laying around?  (90% or better).  You'll need it to clean up after I tell you what you need to do.  

This advice is coming from a "Fixer".  

- Get a old plastic 35mm flim holder (thingy, can, container ... pick a name).

- Spray wd-40 into it to get a nice puddle in there.  

- Take the straw that came with the WD-40, or use one from a used Aero-Duster.  Put one end in the WD-40 and hold your finger over the other end.  

- While still holding the end with your finger, go to the piston of the brake caliper and put a drop of WD-40 there, making sure not to get any on the pads.   Repeat several times making sure you do not get any on the brake pads and get WD-40 all around the piston.

- Take an old tooth brush and clean the damp crud off the piston.

- Repeat the drops again and let sit over night.

- Next day, take a rubber mallet, or wood block & hammer and slightly tap the brake caliper to gently push it in a tiny tiny bit.

- Try to move bike.

-If it moves next step is to take the caliper off, pads off and then clean, clean, clean.   The Alcohol will get rid of the WD-40 nicely.  Brake-Cleaner would work too but knowing your profession, I think you can get alcohol easier (cheaper).

Use the some scotch-brite to clean the rust off the brake rotor.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 10/20/09 at 00:52:10

my calliper would not release pressure because the tiny hair thin hole in the master cylinder was blocked. I think its the one with some weird guard on it that you can pull off and then poke something the same size through it to unblock it.

hope this helps

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 10/20/09 at 06:36:01

Obviously the easiest way is if the penetrating oil just works and unsticks the caliper for you.  

But failing that, the caliper will have to come off and take a nice long bath in used motor oil.  Verrry carefully heat it in the oil, on the stove if your wife will let you.  That will loosen the piston & seal possibly to the point you can work it out by hand.  If not, a little compressed air in the brakeline hole will shoot it out of there in no time (seriously, use a soft piece of wood to stop it).
EDIT - this can be dangerous.. use only a little squirt of air, then another method if the piston is still stuck.

This assumes the problem is the caliper.. crack open the air bleed and make sure it's not the master cylinder as jabman suggests..

« Last Edit: 10/21/09 at 12:53:42 by Boule’tard »  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 10/20/09 at 07:59:27

Excellent comments and suggestions, thanks a bunch.
I too thought the master cylinder may be the problem.

There's only one thing to do and that's to start pulling it apart. We're being blessed with 3 days of sunny 60+ degree days here, so I'll get started this afternoon.

I just need to go slow and keep my left arm in a sling so I remember not to use it. I've been walking around the house without it, and inadvertently reach for things with my damaged wing. My neighbors know when that's happening, as I'm sure they can hear me yelling "Ouch you mother#$%*!"

FSO
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/20/09 at 08:55:30

If the piston is sticking in the caliper, & assuming you already have it off the disc, remove the pads, wrap caliper in old  towel & apply pressure to master cyl. lever slowly. The piston will pop out & the towel will catch the mess. You may have to pump the lever a couple of times to push the piston out. This has always worked for me.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/20/09 at 14:22:52

+1 on ridge's comment. The compressed air was useless on my caliper. The piston wouldnt budge.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 10/21/09 at 07:49:19

I have never tried it, but I have read that you can use a grease gun to remove a stuck piston from a caliper. I presume one would remove the brake line, install a Zerk, and pump away. The grease gun will generate a lot more pressure than the usual air compressor. Of course, you will then have a caliper full of grease which will have to be carefully cleaned out.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/21/09 at 08:44:28

Wouldnt have to be full of grease. A careful loading with oil/ brake fluid up to the zerk. Remove the hose from the gun & fill it with fluid, keep topping it off after a stroke or two. Wouldnt have to be bad at all.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 10/21/09 at 12:48:36

I have to agree with that.. using a liquid or grease to push the piston out is a much safer way to do it, just because liquids don't compress.  If the piston is really stuck tight and you jack up the air pressure to 120psi, then it does let go..  you've set off a large caliber airgun there.  Sorry for the dangerous suggestion.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #13 - 10/22/09 at 11:42:17

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/20/09 at 08:55:30:
If the piston is sticking in the caliper, & assuming you already have it off the disc, remove the pads, wrap caliper in old  towel & apply pressure to master cyl. lever slowly. The piston will pop out & the towel will catch the mess. You may have to pump the lever a couple of times to push the piston out. This has always worked for me.

This approach worked for me. I held the caliper in some paper towel inside a plastic bag, had Shar hit the brake lever a few times, and out she popped. Got the caliper off and getting ready to soak/clean and I'll be doing a rebuild. The outside lip of the piston (the part towards the brake pad) is scored, so I'll most likely replace it. The piston was favoring one side, and was not true with the cylinder.

I took so much care in not spilling brake fluid on the street, but of course I left it with the top off and it fell over. Didn't notice it until there was a 2' wide pool of the stuff on the street. The little things we need to remember.......

FSO
  IP Logged
Yunus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/15/09 at 09:09:33

I took my caliper down to the gas station air compressor and no luck getting that piston out, thanks for all the good ideas though, I'll try hooking it back up and filling it back up with brake oil and pushing it out with the brake, I know it's going to be a mess though!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brake caliper frozen shut

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.