Savage Makeover (Read 639 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Savage Makeover
10/18/09 at 22:07:12

I'm about 1/3 way through doing a makeover of my bike due to rust & corrosion. When I'm done the tins will be grey & everything else will be satin black or black wrinkle. I've totally debadged it right down to removing Suzuki from the cylinder. I'm going for a modern Indian Scout look & plan to have a BS story to go with the look for the people who "axe" me about it. Something along the lines of it was a prototype for a company that never got off the ground & sold them off.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Re: Savage Makeover
Reply #1 - 10/18/09 at 22:14:36

Did you paint your rotor?!  Shocked

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/18/09 at 22:28:36

Rotor, spokes, hub & center of rim. Plan to do rear same way.

Just realized it looks like I painted the rotor surface. I did NOT paint the contact area, it just looks that way in the picture.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/19/09 at 19:44:04

How did you paint the chrome and the aluminum?  I think I'll do my bike this way.  I have aluminum clear coat corrosion.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #4 - 10/22/09 at 20:03:58

I just sanded clean the aluminum, scuffed the chrome with 180 grit & shot it with Krylon. If it peels, I'll just touch it up. It will still look better than it did.

Yesterday, I stopped by a biker shop here on the island & asked about floorboards. For $50 I was able to pick up a set of fronts & another set to use on the rear. Genuine H-D take-offs.

Will do rears first, keeping in mind I want to be able to put the pegs back if needed. First cut off the stem & grind it on an angle to fit the peg mount.

Tomorrow, I'll get started on the front ones. They will require a little more fabricating to work with my Ed Ls' I put on last week. I've put about 100 miles on with them & the extra 4" is great. Now we'll see how they work with floorboards. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/23/09 at 11:36:39

Looks like a candidate for Ospho. Sanding it will leave it looking nice, but you still need to treat it & kill the rust. The gel Ospho,, I didnt like that stuff, I like the liquid. About $12.00 a qt. from Kelly-Moore. Its good stuff to keep around the shop. I kill rust & dont worry about it, till I can get to it & finish the job up later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/23/09 at 13:00:33

OK how much for that manx in the background.  Grin
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 10/24/09 at 07:38:19

srinath wrote on 10/23/09 at 13:00:33:
OK how much for that manx in the background.  Grin
Cool.
Srinath.

The Manx look-a-like belongs to a customer. It's one of the nicer ones i've worked on in the last few years. Next week, I'm supposed to have a VW trike coming in that needs to be wired. It has a type 3 engine & automatic trans, the first trike I've seen with that combo. It should be way easier to drive than the 4 speed versions I've worked on. I will post some pictures once it is here. Smiley

Justin, I think I live in "the Rust Capital of the World". Over the last 30 years I've probably used a drum of Ospho. Sad I've also tried every other kind of rust converter on the market. POR15 works best but is a PITA to use. I live about 1/4 mile from the gulf & everything rusts here. Angry I've tried the 'special' paints & they don't hold up as well as plain old Krylon. My 2000 Savage, I pulled the tins, treated the undersides with rust preventer, sealed with bedliner paint & after 3 years the rust had came through it any way. Now, I just clean it up, spray it with a converter, & use the Krylon. WHEN the rust comes back, I just touch it up & go on.
In the past, I would just sell my old Savage for $1200-1500 & find another for $2300-2500 & start over.

I used to work on boats & even the stainless trim would rust. On one, my boss had us clean it with steel wool. Looked great for about a week, then the 'dust' from the steel wool rusted & left a bigger mess than we started with. Now I use stainless steel wool to clean things. I also have a set of the Kobalt stainless tool boxes & they rust too. Only high $ stainless doesn't rust here. :'(

Of course, maybe I'm doing something wrong & need someone to come down & demonstrate the proper way to apply the product. I can supply plenty of rusty items for you to show me the error of my ways. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 10/29/09 at 10:27:09

I like the shape of the front fender but it needs to be longer. Here is my solution. I just love to beat metal into submission.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 10/29/09 at 16:21:05

Awesome fender extension! Shocked  I've thought of using just a piece of heavy rubber or something, to make a mudflap.  What with all our rain for the next 6 months or so. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/11/09 at 10:34:24

Don't want to hi-jack someone elses thread so I'll post these here.
Trailer hitch

rear view

damaged fairing

H.E.R.R.B. (Hurricane evacuation recreational race bus)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 11/11/09 at 12:49:59

Excellent idea, that bus. You & the family & important "stuff" can be loaded up & moved out & stay together, or do you "convoy" out?
You keeping fuel to make sure long lines/shortages dont keep you from getting out?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/11/09 at 16:34:38

I've had crew cab duallys for years & was looking for another one when I decided to go this route instead. I was very disappointed with the condition of several I looked at that were going for $10k +. I found this bus on E-Bay in Tn. & it still had current school bus inspection stickers on it. I paid $4550 for it & drove back to Tx. with no problems. It's not fast but it gets there.
With our dogs & my racecar & bikes, there are few places that allow animals, thus the bus. 7.3L na Navistar & 4 speed automatic are as simple as I could find.

Latest picture of bike - Harley floorboards, fender & headlight trim, heat shields

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 11/11/09 at 17:13:14

I've been working on the trailer too. Upgraded to LED lights & 12" tires. It tows much better with the larger tires.

Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 11/11/09 at 17:31:27

Is the latch on the trailer supposed to look like a rabbit?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:17:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Makeover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.