YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rebuilt title?
10/10/09 at 07:58:22

to considered rebuilt, the bike has to first declared salvage, in other words wrecked.  The site didn't say anything about replacing the engine to get a rebuilt title, although possible.  I'd wait till monday and get the history from dmv

WWW   IP Logged
TJ9000
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #1 - 10/10/09 at 08:14:10

Yeah, I thought to have a rebuilt title it had to first be declared salvage but as I said, a bit ignorant about some of those things.

Definitely waiting til Monday so I can talk to the DMV, just curious if any of you had had dealings with things like this.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 10/10/09 at 08:42:22

Oh GOODY, a practically new engine!  Roll Eyes

Wait a minute.. the guy was told by the previous owner that the engine was replaced due to running without oil, and he's passing that along as firsthand knowledge?  So for it to be true, there would have to be two non-lying parties in a row, each of whom would benefit greatly by lying.  

Sounds like a hell of an advantage for negotiation.. I wouldn't pay anywhere NEAR 4k for that bike, especially after your research with the DMV uncovers that the bike must have been wrecked, as verslagen1 indicates.

You don't have to call him a liar.. even though presenting hearsay as fact is bordering on lying.. just point out that he got hosed by the previous owner.

Also, be sure that you really want to keep the bike a long time.. run it to dust and/or part it out when you're done, because you won't get squat on resale.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 10/10/09 at 08:55:56

I didn't go dig my titles out of the safe, but as I recall the titles only have the VIN, which is the number on the frame. There is no engine number on the title. And the engine numbers are not the same as the frame number, anyway. To me, that means you could replace the engine six times per day and not affect the title. Note that I am in Nebraska (where it snowed last night). Your State may differ.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/10/09 at 08:56:57

In CA, salvage title vehicles are very difficult to insure, and to sell.  If the frame or forks of the bike were bent and or re-straightened, you've now compromised the structural integrity of the bike.  Welds and metal can fracture internally and therefore cannot be detected by visual inspection.  Vibration can appear at specific speeds which you won't detect unless you go that speed, although the vibration is always present and always stressing the frame. That is a recipe for catastrophic failure. This is why the insurance companies don't want to insure them and why prospective buyers don't want to buy them.  Beware a salvage title bike.

IP Logged
TJ9000
YaBB Newbies

Alabama
Reply #5 - 10/10/09 at 09:30:23

No no, the first owner ran it low of oil and sold it as-is to the second guy. Second guy bought the new engine..I've seen the receipt and all but yes...this all seems fishy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/10/09 at 10:22:46

Charon wrote on 10/10/09 at 08:55:56:
I didn't go dig my titles out of the safe, but as I recall the titles only have the VIN, which is the number on the frame. There is no engine number on the title. And the engine numbers are not the same as the frame number, anyway. To me, that means you could replace the engine six times per day and not affect the title. Note that I am in Nebraska (where it snowed last night). Your State may differ.

In CA, the engine number is on the title.
and you're supposed to notify the DMV when you change engines.

WWW   IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 10/10/09 at 10:25:03

I can't say anything about Alabama but in Minnesota a rebuilt title is one of two things.  It either has SALVAGE stamped accross it which means it was totalled out due usally crash damage, but could also be hail, fire, tree fell on it, girl friend kicked it over and jumped up and down on it.  (Actually while I was a suzuki wrench I have seen the last one so don't laugh).  The other title in MN is a clean title.  If it was marked salvage and you repair it you can get it inspected and cleared.  From there on no one knows that it was once damaged.

Now, the replacing the engine. I have worked for a suzuki dealer during my life and I am not aware of any suzuki that ever had engine numbers that matched frame numbers.  The old brit bikes would but not the japanese.  I don't believe kawasaki ever did either.  They instated the long VIN number we are all used to some time in the mid to late 1970s.  even before that japanese had frame numbers and engine numbers that were a different code.

I personally have swapped engines in several bikes.  the MN DMV trys to record them to try to stop stolen parts moving around but they do not print them on the title.  My engine swaps have never changed the status of the title.

Personally I would be very wary of that bike.  

You are doing the right thing by waiting until monday and call your DMV.  The other thing is if you don't have the actual title number get the liscense plate number from him.  In MN you can call the DMV with the plate number and tell them you are looking at buying it and they will confirm title history/status for you on the phone.

good luck!!

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 10/10/09 at 13:07:54

Just be careful with this one. Some states will not register any rebuilt or salvaged titled bike or car. Check with your DMV first before any money trades hands. The owner might be trying to unload the bike just to make some money back.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/10/09 at 15:06:56

You can make the guy go with you to register it & if it wont register, you can just NOT pay him for it. If the thing will register, pay for the bike. If he declines to go do that,, well,, maybe hes trying to break it off on you.

Call your insurance company & see how they will act if you buy one like that? Maybe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 10/10/09 at 16:43:58

Or, it was rebuilt from miscellaneous parts.  Or, the damage was extensive superficial damage too expensive for the insurance company to replace so they totaled it.

Lots of questions, no answers.  Check with your DMV and your insurance agent before you stand handing over the cash.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 10/10/09 at 17:22:56

In PA,  only VIN on the title, no engine SN., or bike Color (been told as in Indiana).   Why??   On most bikes they don't match.  It’s a replaceable part.  

If you look at your Savage, (and from prev bike I owned,  Honda's too) you will see that the engine number does not match the bike.  Why??? The engines are not build at the same plant.  It's a mix and match .......  too much work trying to match them up.    

A salvage / rebuilt bike, like said before, had to be "totaled" by the insurance company. It doesn’t matter what’s it's totaled for (fire, crashed, dead engine, flood etc etc).  If the First owner put a claim in that the engine died, they would have to prove it wasn't negligence.  Pretty sure a dead engine is enough to total a bike.   You can only make money on those types of deals if you do the work yourself, which is what it sounds like the second owner did.

In PA, a Salvage bike can be re-registared only after it has been thru the state yearly Safety inspection and of course a bunch of forms (got to love the gpov't).

So,  since states are different, you need to look at the Alabama laws and understand what you’re getting into.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 03:27:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Rebuilt title?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.