Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Common problems with the S40/Savage? (Read 453 times)
Govt Mule
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland
Common problems with the S40/Savage?
10/02/09 at 10:50:55

Hi all,

New to this forum but have been riding for about a year. Shopping for a bike for the wife. She's 5'1 with thick legs and the S40 (and maybe the S50) is the only bike that fits her well without extensive modifications.

She sat on one and just loved it. Now I need the rest of you need to convince me that these bikes are good mechanically.

What is their longevity?
Are they pretty reliable?
What are the common failures?
What are the most common initial mods?
How do they compare to a V-twin 650?
How is aftermarket part support?
Shocked

Sorry for the interrogation.

We're looking to buy during the winter when prices are low. We're also juggling this purchase while trying to sell our townhouse and upgrade to a bigger place.

Thanks!

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Common problems with the S40/Savage?
Reply #1 - 10/02/09 at 11:38:55

I can speak to the longevity and reliability.  With practically nothing but routine maintenance, I rode my original engine over 51,000 miles.
"Most common failure" is probably the battery.  The cam chain adjuster needs attention before the first 20K.  Initial mods are unique to each individual, but often are windshield, saddlebags, highway bars, luggage rack, maybe different muffler which leads to maybe some carb tuning.  I've never ridden a 650 V-twin, but the single probably generates more torque and is simpler to diagnose and repair.  Aftermarket parts are out there; new parts are expensive, but you can usually find used or salvage parts which are very serviceable.  Hope this helps.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/02/09 at 12:13:19

Good answer serenity.

From a female perspective, I'm 5'2, about 110 lbs.  This bike is easy to handle, and I don't feel "over-powered" by it, but it is HUGE on power carrying a small female.  I guess the fact that bigger guys ride it too proves that.

Mechanically, I've only had mine for this season, but it runs like a top!  And with this forum for support, you couldn't go wrong, even if you aren't mechanically inclined yourself.  These guys know this bike inside and out, up and down, and every which way!  Just browse around this forum and see the weird things that come up, and how quickly people respond.  I don't think you'll find this support with any other bike!  The bad part is, the more I read, the more things that I want to do to mine.... but it really needs nothing....  just to be ridden and enjoyed!

Oh, check Craiglist in your area for ones for sale too.  "S40" ... "Savage" .... "LS650".  There are usually plenty out there, cheap.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #3 - 10/02/09 at 12:23:26

As serenity said, the cam chain needs replacement sometime in the high teens, but you should hear it banging around before it fails.  I'll wager that dropping a valve is the most common (but still rare) catastrophic *surprise!* failure, but this is probably because the factory fuel mixture tune is very lean to meet EPA regulations.  Lean mix => hot engine => stressed valves.

Which brings us to the most common mod:  enrichen the carb's mixture with the idle screw and white spacer.  Lose a bit of MPG, but gain lots of smiles (for you and the bike).  Many people raise or replace the seat, but that's up to the bottom half of your other half.  Wink

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Govt Mule
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland
Reply #4 - 10/02/09 at 12:25:08

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. I'm mechanically inclined, with a full set of tools (metric and imperial), I just lack proper workspace.

I've checked eBay and Craigslist and one thing that I've noticed is that the Savages seem to hold better resale value than the V-Star 650's. That is, they cost more used, than the V-Stars. Since the cost between used and new is pretty narrow (depending on how old a used bike is), we might just buy new.

I hope to report back soon with a purchase. Oh, one final question:

Are the older Savages (early 90's up to 2000) the same dimensions as the 2000-09 models? The design seems mostly unchanged throughout it's life but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #5 - 10/02/09 at 12:27:21

besides the plug cap leaky thing lol the only problem i have so far is that it rains too much and i can't ride everyday  Grin

seriously though, i've almost taken my entire bike apart(minus the engine and tranny) but i've either messed with it, painted it, or take it off completely. it's alot less complicated looking then some other bikes and everyone on here is extremely helpful so i wouldn't worry about not figuring things out!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/02/09 at 12:35:53

I bought new, because I thought I needed a warranty. Had I known then,,, well, I wouldnt buy new again,
Easy to maintain, no carbs to synch up, no chain to lube, Disk front, easy to swap pads, Rear drum, shoes look to be good for many more miles than the average person even rides.
As time has passed, the valve adjusters seem to have work hardened, longer & longer times between needed adjustments.
The weakest point ( IMO) is the cam chain/adjuster. But, its easy to keep up with whats going on in there & head off any problems. Verslagen has a modified part available that keeps the chain tensioner from being able to spit its guts out into the spinning gears. A new cam chain should be good for at least 15,000 miles & putting one in is no big deal. Doing the work yourself will save the $$$ to pay for the tools to do the job.
OIl changes are cheap & easy. Some of the v-twins out there require pulling the front exhaust & right foot peg just to change the danged OIL,, (IIRC, the Suzuki 83 is like that).

Every bike out there seems to have some issue that is a detractor. Having the field of potential choices limited by inseam makes it tough, but thankfully, this bike has a lot of things going for it. Its small & light, but it has the OOOmph to clear an intersection if someone accidentally does mess up & pull out in front of oncoming, unlike a little scooter.
It will handle running down the highway all day for days & days on end.
Delivers good MPG. Handles easy, its not twitchy. Some folks say the brakes arent good enough, but I can make the front tire start to squeal & thats as good as it can get IMO. The rear typically locks up too easy to really be able to get the max stopping power out of it, but that can be modified.

It needs a fork brace. No one has installed one & said they couldnt feel a difference, even people who ride gently & conservatively see improved "feel", a  Surefootedness absent without the brace. Not that its dangerous w/o the thing, I made over 5,000 miles before I got one & I like to play in corners. It just made it feel better.

The cam chain requires some attention be paid to it, but Ive seen one of these bikes in a parking lot with over 80,000 miles on it, so its not a fatal flaw, at all.

The 5 speeds are jetted lean, maybe not all, IDK, but certainly the later models are. Power is improved by a more free flowing exhaust & jetting to optimize air fuel mix. The older 4 speeds actually have a higher final drive than the 5 speeds, so if highways will be the norm, you might want a 4 speed for the lower RPM at speed. The belt can be ditched & sprockets & chain put on for about $200.00.

Leave it stock, have fun, mod it, whatever. Info is available right here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Govt Mule
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maryland
Reply #7 - 10/02/09 at 12:48:49

Justin,

Glad to hear you say that the bike has enough power. We're not planning on doing a lot of highway riding, but I do expect days where we "squirt" down the superslab to the next town over from time to time. We live in the Baltimore/D.C. ghettoplex and the traffic is crazy here.

I was worried about the power, but I didn't want to push her into an S50. She wants the bike as light as possible.

I like the idea of the spacer on the jet screw so that the engine doesn't run so lean. That and enging guards will probably be the first mods.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/02/09 at 13:03:16

Just over 6 secs,  0 to 60 time. PLenty good. IDK what a stocker runs, but its not bad.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #9 - 10/02/09 at 13:57:35

Reliable MC. I rode mine daily for a couple of years with very few items that needed repair. I also did almost no mods (I had a trunk, but I don't consider that a mod). Without re-jetting, I was able to tune my Savage so that in all conditions - mostly a short commute year round in the Midwest USA, I didn't have backfiring problems and got 52 MPG. I only sold the Savage because I got a Concours which is a 700#+ sport tourer. Not something I would recommend for someone who want to keep their MC light. If I could have found something that fit me as well as the Concours and weighed what the Savage weighed, I'd be a happier camper. But as it was, I didn't like the cruiser position for long distances, and the Savage is underpowered for the type of rider that I am.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 10/02/09 at 13:58:44

The bike is a bit of an old school design. That means reliable as long as you follow preventative maint schedules.  Change oil at regular interval.  Make the periodic adjustments  etc etc.  

If it's your wife's first bike, it may be a great choice.  I took the MSF safety course, (Experienced rider version where you ride your own  bike) and I was the only person with no points deducted.  I could turn-inside the figure eight box with room to spare.  I think it was the bike that contributed to the great score.  

longevity???  If you do the PM's, and replace wear parts as needed,  could go easy 50K-75K before needing a rebuild and that would be a valve job and hone the cyclinder.

What I liked about it was the design is fairly unchanged for 23 years.  I have a HD Sportster now and they have a 4-5 year window of shared parts.    

The only reason I sold my LS650 was that I'm 5'11" and my 14 YO son just passed the 5'9" mark and we didn't fit on it any longer.  

Power???,   My re-exhausted & re-jetted LS650 toasted some HD's off the line ,... up to about 45-50 mph.    And, it did not know my son was on the back going up the hills here on the east-side of PA.

It's a fun, dance-able bike.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #11 - 10/02/09 at 15:17:28

I've only had my Savage for 8 months now and love every minute of it.  Other than the tire blow-out and some of the mods I've been making, This bike has been on the road every day.  Easy to change your own oil with some help from this forum and although I haven't bitten the bullet on changing the fuel mixture yet, it runs like a top.  I plan on keeping this bike for a good long time.

Makes the Yamaha guys at work jealous, Especially when they start cracking on the engine size compared to their 950 or 1100.  I just keep telling them that some of us don't have to compensate. Smiley

Being sort of short and plenty "well padded"  this motorcycle has no problem haulin my ---- well I don't have a problem getting where I need to go.  Grin Grin Grin

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 10/02/09 at 15:25:58

if its her first bike go with the s40 if not then the  c 50..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #13 - 10/02/09 at 15:27:06

Govt Mule wrote on 10/02/09 at 12:25:08:
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful. I'm mechanically inclined, with a full set of tools (metric and imperial), I just lack proper workspace.

I've checked eBay and Craigslist and one thing that I've noticed is that the Savages seem to hold better resale value than the V-Star 650's. That is, they cost more used, than the V-Stars. Since the cost between used and new is pretty narrow (depending on how old a used bike is), we might just buy new.

I hope to report back soon with a purchase. Oh, one final question:

Are the older Savages (early 90's up to 2000) the same dimensions as the 2000-09 models? The design seems mostly unchanged throughout it's life but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

The only real difference of the Savage/S40 years you mentioned that I am aware of is the handlebars, they went from pullbacks to drag style bars.

All I know is I have an 87 frame in my garage and if I wanted to I could swap everything from my 2000 straight into it without a single mod.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/02/09 at 16:47:29

Great bike. I wont be rid of mine until it explodes under me or a cager wipes me off the face of the planet.
Pros - Reliable. Cheap (to insure, purchase, repair, mod, and generally maintain). Easy to work on*. Good looking. Lightweight. Good MPG. More than capable of freeway riding all day for days. Least stolen bike in USA.

Cons - Cam chain tensioner (it fails prematurely sometimes. Best to play it safe and shell out the $110 for a Verslavy from our very own Verslagen1. Well worth the money). Head plug leak (easy to fix. Not as significant a problem on '01+ models. It isnt really even a problem. Just makes the cylinger ugly. Jetted lean (cheap, extensive jet sets available from our own Lancer {aswell as performances cams and carbs}) Small for some (cheap forward controls from our own Ed L). *"Easy to work on" (gotta take off the front seat and tank to do pretty mcuh anything. Gotta pretty much remove everything to get the engine out of the frame. Engine is a PITA to get back into the frame.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:40:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Common problems with the S40/Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.