Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forward control question (Read 151 times)
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Forward control question
10/01/09 at 12:33:21

Hi stratman here.  Question for someone who has installed forward controls;  I'm putting on the left plate( the one with the shifter) and it looks like there is a hole missing for a bolt that goes though the the engine, and should bolt to the control plate.  It's not the one of the two long bolts.  Specifically it's pic #8, bolt #8 on page 331 of Clymer.  It looks like i would have to drill the plate and put a washer and nut on(it's the 1.25 metric bolt.  I'm pming Ed L. i was just wondering if someone online can help me - thanks, stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Forward control question
Reply #1 - 10/01/09 at 13:09:21

Stratman,

I am not looking at the bike, clymers or anything else.  I do know that I had to twist and turn and make sure I had the right one on the right side.

Sorry I am not much help, but turning and looking and thinking are better than drilling when you don't need to. Huh

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 10/01/09 at 19:18:14

I had to drill out that hole too.    Not really needed, but I thought that another connection ppoint would help with any flexing.

Remember, the Hardware store is your friend......   and maybe one of your new dependants  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 10/02/09 at 02:03:00

I do believe the bolt you are referring to is one of the bolts that bolts into the sidestand assembly. Since you are using ed l's forward controls which bring the sidestand assembly forward, you probably do not need that hole. (this is just my opinion since I built my own and kept my sidestand in the original position. But by all means, find out what ED L has to say since you are using his controls.)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 10/02/09 at 15:44:18

That mid length metric bolt is used to mount the stock assembly onto the frame. The only reason I don't drill that hole is because I don't think it is needed to mount the plate with. All the stress is put on the plate out by the kickstand and not back by the engine bolts. I also didn't like the look of an extra nut on that side when I designed them. There is no reason why you can't drill a extra hole there, I just didn't. Hope this helps clear it up.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
stratman

Klaatu,
Verata....Necktie

Concord, Ca.
Reply #5 - 10/02/09 at 16:42:34

Thanks Ed L and all.  I thought i was missing something.  I am the slowest mechanic in the world, and sometimes i'm staring at the solution but i don't see it.  stratman

'There's no money above the 7th fret'...Tommy Tedesco
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 10/02/09 at 17:38:34

I went and looked at my bike, the forward controls, the clymers, the bike, the controls, etc.  I did not have to drill out that hole and I do have that bolt in mine.  

Maybe Ed drilled some and not others or maybe he decided later he didn't like it.  It matters not to me.

I am sure you can firgure it our stratman and I am sure you will like the controls as much as I do. Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 10/02/09 at 19:12:25

Ed L. wrote on 10/02/09 at 15:44:18:
That mid length metric bolt is used to mount the stock assembly onto the frame. The only reason I don't drill that hole is because I don't think it is needed to mount the plate with. All the stress is put on the plate out by the kickstand and not back by the engine bolts. I also didn't like the look of an extra nut on that side when I designed them. There is no reason why you can't drill a extra hole there, I just didn't. Hope this helps clear it up.  

i drilled that xtra hole cause im a lil a..l
also i used a piece of all thread(3/8" ?) to tye the front of the two plates together(theres a topic on that mod here somewhere)wrapped in that black plastic cable wrap sutff and added yellow/amber led srtip
to it all in all the best mod ive done to my 06

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forward control question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.