Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best way to align rear wheel (Read 187 times)
jabman

England
best way to align rear wheel
09/30/09 at 04:49:52

i just fitted some tyres ans done the belt tension but how can a get the wheel straight, are the markings accurate?

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: best way to align rear wheel
Reply #1 - 09/30/09 at 08:00:05

Markings are only an approximation.  Best procedure is to elevate the rear wheel, tighten belt to specs, place transmission in neutral, then rotate wheel forward and reverse, adjusting the tensioner bolts until the belt is running as centered as possible on rear sprocket.  For belt tightness, use belt gauge in tool kit, or (easiest) tighten belt until you can twist it 90 degrees using only moderate force.  Hope this helps.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/30/09 at 11:19:45

As you do this, if you note your handlebars are suddenly not straight as you go down the road you will have to adjust the rear wheel to straighten up the front.

You move the rear wheel as if you were correcting the error in the front (they are linked together through pavement running forces)

I for one cannot get "good belt tracking" any more as my bike is warped from getting smacked in the butt while I was parked -- but I can get the front and rear wheel to track together as they go on down the road.

Hopefully, you can still have your cake and eat it too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/30/09 at 12:02:37

I just get a yardstick or something straight, and lay the edge across the tire, then site down it to see if it's parallel to the belt...

« Last Edit: 12/12/09 at 21:44:55 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 12/12/09 at 21:19:48

I used this the compare the distance from the swingarm pivot to the middle of the rear axle on both sides of the wheel:

When I checked the accuracy of the wheel alignment marks on the swingarm, I found them to be off by a full turn of an adjusting screw!  (It goes without saying that you can't trust the index marks on the swingarm.)

I got my beam compass for about five or six bucks at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Hand+Tools%2C+Carpentry&pid=009...

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:39:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › best way to align rear wheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.