Send Topic Print
Battery cables (Read 155 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Battery cables
09/27/09 at 13:14:05

Are the battery cables you use for a battery tender ,sufficient in size to be also used to connect jumper cables to,and where can I get the right ones?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery cables
Reply #1 - 09/27/09 at 13:35:09

Depending on just how depleted the battery is, the current that needs to be added to get  the starter to spin up like its supposed to will vary. If it's totally dead, then the current that comes from the vehicle/battery used to jump it off will be more than the starter uses, since the battery is sucking some of the current to recharge itself, & the starter is using what it needa, creating quite a drain on the "donor". IF the battery is flat or just so drained it just clicks, Id suggest allowing the battery to charge a while, so the bikes charge circuit isnt overwhelmed & possibly damaged by all that current being driven thru it for so long by being asked to charge the battery up from such a low charge state.

Yea, you need bigger wires than the pukey little things on a battery tender,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 09/27/09 at 13:40:14

What is the minimum gauge wire needed for a jump start ,if I were going to make a couple of leads? Also ,jumping a dead battery can possibly damage the bike ? would it be better to pop the clutch ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/27/09 at 15:22:52

Look at the battery cables on the bike.
Like I said, if the battery is really discharged, its possible the charge circuit could be damaged by the long time of putting out the high current  The battery draws as it is being recharged. Maybe someone will come along & say its safe to do that, IDK. But, if the battery is so low it wont light the lights, it may not get thru the cdi & coil & have enough spark to make it run anyway.
If you can get someone to let you jump it with their car, let it sit there & charge a while, instead of just hooking it up & firing it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/27/09 at 19:59:20

rl153 wrote on 09/27/09 at 13:14:05:
Are the battery cables you use for a battery tender ,sufficient in size to be also used to connect jumper cables to,and where can I get the right ones?

RL...did your Battery Tender come with alligator clips? If so, you can just plug the clips into your pigtail coming from the bikes battery and attach jumper cables to the clips. (I own a Schumacher Maintainer and this tip saved me on an evening out last Winter. Wink)

Just make sure you invert the color scheme of the clips. In other words, the clip's NORMAL +RED+ is now -BLACK- due to the harness being inverted...

Essentially, once your clips are attached to the pigtail, you'll want to attach the +RED+ jumper cable from the help vehicle...to your NORMALLY -BLACK- clip. The same goes for the -BLACK- from the help vehicle...it goes to your NORMALLY +RED+.

I hope I've clarified this process well...

HTH!

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/27/09 at 22:13:05

Motorcycle jumper cables are normally 10 Guage.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/27/09 at 22:49:09

I would never have a black connector on the positive or red on negative. If someone is "helping" & doesnt know, someone might be taking an acid bath.. Always a bad idea, worse if thers no waterhose handy.

IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/28/09 at 03:46:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/27/09 at 22:49:09:
I would never have a black connector on the positive or red on negative. If someone is "helping" & doesnt know, someone might be taking an acid bath.. Always a bad idea, worse if thers no waterhose handy.

Great point, Justin.

What I did was, I re-identified the colors of the clips with red and black electrical tape accordingly....rendering that very mistake unlikely from happening on the road. If I ever did need to charge the battery indoors (..separate from the bike) I just remove the tape from the clips, plug them into the maintainer, and charge the battery as normal.

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 12/12/09 at 21:05:21

Here's another way to skin the jumper cable cat:

I modded mine for an easy, no-tools-needed jump start.

I found a used battery ground cable from my old '81 GL1100.  I attached one end to the positive battery cable and insulated the bejeezus out of it.  Here is a pic:

Not pretty, but it works (just like my Savage).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 12/13/09 at 00:18:50

Digger wrote on 12/12/09 at 21:05:21:
Here's another way to skin the jumper cable cat:

That's very ingenuitous, Digger!... Wink

I have jumped mine from a 1amp charger through the pigtail,...
I think you're O.K. doing it that way if your bike will start in 5 or 10 seconds... after that, the wires will probably start heating up, and the oh'shits will start flyin'...  Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 12/13/09 at 04:32:04

rl153 wrote on 09/27/09 at 13:40:14:
What is the minimum gauge wire needed for a jump start ,if I were going to make a couple of leads? Also ,jumping a dead battery can possibly damage the bike ? would it be better to pop the clutch ?

I believe what he said was that the charging system could be maxxed out, possibly over heated while charging a stone dead battery.
In warm-hot weather this could be a concern, but in colder weather, probably not.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 12/13/09 at 04:52:32

To maybe simplify jump starting, keep in mind that you only have to deal w/ the positive connection to the battery. Any ole jumper cable can be connected frame to frame for the negative,......in fact, negative frame connection is safer than the batt.....if it is the last connection made.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 01/02/10 at 20:55:02

Routy wrote on 12/13/09 at 04:52:32:
To maybe simplify jump starting, keep in mind that you only have to deal w/ the positive connection to the battery. Any ole jumper cable can be connected frame to frame for the negative,......in fact, negative frame connection is safer than the batt.....if it is the last connection made.

Yep.

And with a stock battery box, it's the positive battery terminal that is harder to get to, unfortunately.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery cables

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.