Send Topic Print
Best Oil for Savage (Read 1771 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #60 - 09/28/09 at 16:04:58

Diesel oil and car oil aren't made for transmissions,As far as I know only motorcycle oil is. If you have a Moto Guzzi you can use car oil in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #61 - 09/28/09 at 16:39:19

Dino Rotella T at seven dollars a gallon has both the additive packages for cam lobe flat tappet issues and as high a temperature threshold as any normal dino oil can offer.   It also has the detergent/dispersant and anti-foam packages that support long mileage diesel engines, so it will keep your small particulates in solution until you dump them out in the drain pan.

If you follow Charon's point -- rapid oil changes are the only method to remove mineral wastes from combustion products and fine air dust inhalation unless you use a bypass oil filtration rig.

OF, where you finding that $7.00 price tag? Ill get a boat load( row boat)?

If a guy drained his oil into a clean bucket & let it just sit, would the sand & crap just settle out? How long should it sit b4 it went back in the engine? Maybe a Salad Spinner with some coffee filters in it? LOL..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #62 - 09/28/09 at 17:13:40

Justin, I just read it again in some of the out-of-date stuff one of the newbies just posted and it stuck in my mind.

I think Triple Protection Rotella T (dino) sells for $9-$11 a gallon at Sam's/Walmart now days depending if on sale or not.

==============

OK,  for best general use buy Triple Protection Rotella T (dino in the white jug) and change your oil very frequently and your oil filter every 4,000 miles.

If you decide to go long service interval with a synthetic, you are going to have to do something to prevent very fine air-born fine particulates from getting past your air filter system and you are going to have to do something about the hard ferrous (steel) particles that your engine generates naturally to get them out of the oil on the same circulation pass that they occur on.

(both of which I did a long time ago, but I keep forgetting you new guys haven't kept up with all the mods we all developed and did in years past)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183640744

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197231468

=============

Or you can put in place a sub-micron bypass oil filtration system.

(which Verslagen and I each built a different competing system but we each ran aground at the low flow & low pressure oil pump that inhabits our Savage -- both projects still pending that brainstorm that allows them to go forward)

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1232661088/11#11

note:  this contains references to several of our very best factually based past oil wars

==============

--- or you can say "Screw it, I don't understand all this stuff" like Free Spirit has done on occasion in the past and just carry it to your dealership to have your oil changed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 09/28/09 at 18:16:48

I suspect my bike was run with normal motorcycle oil for the 10,000 miles before I got it.  I popped in dino Rotella - shifting wasn't as good, but the oil dirtied up rapidly.  Changed after 800 miles because it looked dirty and the shifting just gave a faint sensation of not shifting as well.  Shifting back to it's previous level.  This wasn't a dramatic thing, but was pretty clear.

1000 miles on that oil and I changed to synthetic Rotella.  Dramatic improvement in shifting.  Have 500 miles on the synthetic and have noticed no change in shifting - if anything, the shifting is improving, which I can't account for.  

Given the superior performance in my bike of the syn Rotella, I'll keep using it.  Regardless of the occasional flak about it.  

The dust in the oil thing bothers me.  My teeth are ground flat from living in dust.  

So I need to come up with a change interval that gets the dust out suitably.  I'm not in a really dusty environment.  The air filter doesn't pick up much.  

Perhaps 1500 miles?  2000 miles?  I don't mind the cost of the Rotella synthetic.  It shift so much better and the shifting isn't changing over time.  So I suspect it's holding up very well, as one would expect.  

Any idea on suitable syn Rotella change intervals?

The syn Rotella has been nice enough running that I think I'll put it in my car & truck.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #64 - 09/28/09 at 19:36:52

I have fine dust removal built into my oil impregnated air filter system.

I remove all ferrous particles first pass with a really strong supermagnet on the oil filter.

====================

I am NOT NORMAL for the general list member to pattern themselves after.

For what it's worth, I run a one year oil filter and oil change interval on Rotella Syn and feel that it isn't excessive as I put less than 5,000 miles on the bike in that year.

This fall it comes down for a side case removal, a Lancer Cam and a head retorque and seal replacement.

=============

Note:  after that, I will be even more "not normal" as I will be spinning some RPMs and torque outputs and hp that are even more out of the list norm.   All of my wear items will be exaggerated.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #65 - 09/28/09 at 19:53:40

How about changing the oil, dumping into a clean bucket & running the oil thru a filter? I know you have the "How To" on getting hold of a filter base , oil pump & a pickup. Filter the oil up & in a coule thousand miles, dump the oil in the engine into a clean bucket, drop the filtered oil back in & run it. Its not "old & wo' out", but what about the acidity level from hydrocarbons & sitting around? Doesnt it get more acidic just sitting once its been run?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #66 - 09/28/09 at 19:58:50

Talk to Verslagen about pump filtering the oil in the sump at night -- he actually identified the bits and pieces to do it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #67 - 09/28/09 at 20:03:30

I hadnt even thot of just hooking the bike up to "Dialysis".

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #68 - 09/28/09 at 20:05:41

His rig was closer to what is used to filter the fry oil at McDonalds each night.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #69 - 09/28/09 at 20:54:32

Most of us agree that it is wise to use an oil that is more robust than an automotive engine oil.  One of the more robust oils will likely add many miles to the cam chain life, as well as other parts.  Ordinary 10W-40 would be my last choice.  Diesel engine oil is a good choice, and I prefer the synthetic for its resistance to oxidation, especially at the hottest points inside the engine.

Motorcycle specific oil is different than automotive engine oil, diesel engine oil, or racing oil.  The question is where we really need that high priced stuff, and the answer seems to be that there are lower priced alternatives that give very good protection.

In very hot weather I prefer a 20W-50 or 15W-50 engine oil in our air cooled engines.  The average sump temperature is one thing, but the engine needs protection at the hottest points.

Mobil 1 racing oil is specifically not for wet clutches due to some of the antiwear agents they use (probably certain types of moly).  Chevron says not to use their Delo 400 due to the type of moly they're currently using.  Other oils with other types of moly work very well.  I use Schaeffer oil with a big load of moly (and 0.15% zinc), as do the engineers at Schaeffer in their motorcycles, and we get excellent results.  The Energy Conserving oils range from 0W-20 to 10W-30, so none will be in the 40wt range we need for these motorcycle engines.  

Most full flow filters have filtration ratings in the 20 micron range, and that is usually good for long engine life.  A bypass filter that filters down to the single digit micron range will give longer engine life, but the cost of the filtration system is hard to justify for most of us.  (Despite their advertising, there are no sub-micron filters.  If there were, they'd filter out the essential additives in the oil.)  A supermagnet on the filter or drain plug is a very good idea.  Industrial oil filters on parts with steel-to-steel contact, like gear boxes, often have magnets.  Expect to see a black "mud" of iron particles too small to be filtered out.  Hope you don't see anything big enough to be glittery.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #70 - 09/28/09 at 20:55:58

Dialysis explained
1.Add a quick connect to the drain plug to pull the oil out.  The thread is m12-1.25, same as the pressure plug and spark plug.
2.how to make sure the right amount of oil is in the case when you are done.  2 options; add a syphon tube that goes down to the oil level, then if it were over filled you could suck it back out.  Or measure the oil you put back in ie, use the oil level window.
3.How to pump... I went to the inventors candy store, got myself a used pump ready to go $10.
4.filter mount, plenty of remote filter blocks about, I stole one from my brother.
5.filter, plenty of oil bypass filters that filter down to nothing, probably the most expensive item in the mod.
6.time, priceless.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #71 - 09/28/09 at 21:31:06

Sounds like something to do when everything else is all done.. Ill never get to it..

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 09/29/09 at 03:19:48

Exactly how are special motorcycle oils different?

It can't be the base, so it has to be in the additives.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Frostnasty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #73 - 09/29/09 at 04:04:54

bill67 wrote on 09/28/09 at 07:46:27:
Frostnasty wrote on 09/28/09 at 04:31:45:
I use Rotella, the dinosaur variety...in my fawteen hunnert.

Here's an interesting read.  This is a quote, not my words, sorry I don't know who to attribute this to.  

Motorcycle usage

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The properties of heavy duty engine oils tend to map to the same requirements of motorcycle oils, particularly those whose engine and transmission share the same oil. (This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission). The chemical additives found in heavy duty engine oils work well with motorcycles. In addition, the lack of "friction modifiers" in truck oils such as Rotella means they do not interfere with proper wet clutch operations.

Motorcycle specific oils tend to cost between $8 and $10 per quart. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 costs about $19 per gallon (or about $4.75/quart). The price economy of Shell Rotella T allows a motorcycle owner to change oil more frequently, thus matching the "extended change interval" value of motorcycle specific synthetics

Why would you want to change oil more frequently when you can get a premium oil and not have too.

I don't change mine more frequently, BUT, if I wanted to, I could actually afford to w/ Rotella T. Wink
Hey, tons of MC riders use the stuff, and folks fairly new to the game need to know that they don't have to pay $8.00/quart or $100.00 to a stealer for a oil change...

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #74 - 09/29/09 at 05:17:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/28/09 at 13:49:16:
Serenity, the re-bore was first oversize, right?  Or was it second over?  Measuring the piston and the bore got me confused a bit, I can't tell if it was first over (.5mm) over or maybe it was more as the worn parts don't really jive together any more.

Yeah, Oldfeller, it was the first overbore.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 05:19:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best Oil for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.