Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Best Oil for Savage
Reply #120 - 09/30/09 at 14:14:29

So now you can go get you a gallon and have what you need at a price that you can afford.

And that's why we have these little discussions ....

(other than to keep Bill occupied and out of trouble)

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #121 - 09/30/09 at 14:30:32

i can get suzuki and k&n oil filters at about the same price here. i dont suppose theres anyone knows which is best

i use the suzuki filter now

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 09/30/09 at 14:46:42

K&N air filters do not filter the air as well as factory OEM filters, such as Suzuki's brand. In order to determine how well an air filter filters the dirt from the air, it must be tested using sophisticated equipment.  Your eyes can't see everything that might pass through the filter, which is why this testing equipment is used:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245172228

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #123 - 09/30/09 at 14:56:55

I have to agree with Gort, oil impregnated K&N filters have mixed reviews by those that test them.

The media in a K&N is a quarter inch thick cotton gauze that is impregnated with oil.  The oil traps particles in the air as the air moves through the media, so it is dependent on having enough oil and enough contact time to do the job.

Oil base filters lose oil over time as it dries out or get "occupied" after collecting enough dust.

Stopping all the small particles of dust in the air (IMHO) needs more depth of filter / air depth of travel and rigorous maintenance of a fairly decent oil supply in the filtration media to work as well or better than a stock Suzuki filter.

Your Suzuki stock filter is good for several blow out cleanings and several years of use before plugging up so bad you have to replace it.

=================

This here is an oil war, if you want to read up on filters go here.  Once you have read up some on the subject, feel free to go start you up a filter war.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244205111

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #124 - 09/30/09 at 15:01:28

I've used K&N air filters in motorcycle and cars,I could fill or see no difference in performance or gas mileages

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #125 - 09/30/09 at 15:51:51

K& N filters and anything else other than paper filters will not filter as well because of the air gaps in the filtration media, not because of the filter's thickness or amount of oil on it.  K&N tells you to oil their filters because it stops dirt from permanently clogging their filter material.  Their guarantee is void if you don't oil the filter.  Instead, the dirt that hasn't already passed through, adheres to the oil.  You then wash the oil off the filter's fibers, and re oil with new product and re-install the filter.

If being more efficient meant that K&N filters had to be thicker, they would have done so.  The benefit of thicker is that you won't have to clean it as often. More oil on the filter makes no difference because the engine vacuum will just suck it off the filter's fibers and still leave air gaps between filter's fibers or foam holes.  Thats why k&N tells you not to over oil.  You are just wasting your money.   Even 2 K&N filters back to back aren't going to solve the problem of the filter media itself having too large of an air gap between filter strands or foam holes, to be able to stop the passing of dirt that a denser paper filter would stop.  Look at the test results in the link I provided.  K&N comes in second to last in its ability to stop dirt from passing through.

Their are many explanations of this on the Internet, if you care to do the research.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #126 - 10/01/09 at 00:22:57

erm thanks but i mentioned suzuki and K&n OIL FILTERS. typically i have just finished installing my k&n round filter, it big and wide (6"long), as i was trying to go for the biggest surface area.  so far very good however i noticed some tiny bits in the carb bowl when I did a  re-jet after it. they were not there before. maybe I need a in-line fuel filter? ill keep an eye on it

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #127 - 10/01/09 at 00:44:35

Yep, I'm a fan of fuel filters for our bikes too.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392/1#1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jack8823
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #128 - 10/18/09 at 07:54:37

Shell Advance VSX4 10w40 - good or bad?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #129 - 10/18/09 at 08:19:46

You have discovered why Shell was so slow to put the JASO rating on the Rotella oil jugs -- in Europe they sell a high priced 4 stroke motorcycle oil called Advance and they didn't want to undercut their own motorcycle high price spread market.

So, now they have European 4 stroke oil called Advance and maybe they will start to sell it over here now.  I dunno.

Interesting that it was originally a semi-synthetic oil and now it becomes a full synthetic at the same time that Rotella T6 comes out in America .... hmmmm, I wonder.

Ve vill see ..... won't we?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #130 - 10/18/09 at 09:10:03

OF you can have you oil shipped from Europe now thats nice to hear.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #131 - 10/18/09 at 09:36:53

Or buy it locally from Walmart in gallon jugs for less money  Wink