babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: shifting speeds
Reply #15 - 09/24/09 at 07:30:12

I try shifting up from 5th just hoping that a 6th has appeared magically!!

~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #16 - 09/24/09 at 07:35:49

My problem with listening to the engine is my bike is so quiet, if there's a good cross wind I cant hear it.  From reading some of these posts, I  have confirmed a suspicion I've had about myself- I shift up too early.  Alot of shifting is practice, getting a feel for your bike and how it handles.

Now, as for down shifting.  Here is a tip that I picked up the hard way (which is how I learn most things).  When letting out the clutch when down shifting, let it out gradually.  Because if you are going to fast for the gear you just shifted down to - your bike will slow down rather quickly.  If you are not prepaired for that, it can freak you out.   Cool

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #17 - 09/24/09 at 08:05:22

verslagen1 wrote on 09/23/09 at 18:52:51:
Holy cow, a nube asks when to shift and you tell 'em to red line it?

very simply... shift out of 1st at 10mph, 2nd at 20, 3 at 30, and 4 at 40.

of course you can go faster than that.

This is about right.
1st gear is there just to get you moving.
2nd is the puttering gear
3rd gear feels most comfortable for getting around town (I wouldn't try to get to 75mph Shocked )
4th if you need to get going
5th you should probably be on the freeway or long stretch of open road

On Freeway trips (or those that last for hours) I use earplugs so Feeling the bike has become more important than hearing the bike.

Put in some earplugs and head to a big open lot and practice feeling when the bike should shift. Wink

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 09/24/09 at 08:52:33

Angie wrote on 09/24/09 at 07:35:49:
My problem with listening to the engine is my bike is so quiet, if there's a good cross wind I cant hear it.  From reading some of these posts, I  have confirmed a suspicion I've had about myself- I shift up too early.  Alot of shifting is practice, getting a feel for your bike and how it handles.

Now, as for down shifting.  Here is a tip that I picked up the hard way (which is how I learn most things).  When letting out the clutch when down shifting, let it out gradually.  Because if you are going to fast for the gear you just shifted down to - your bike will slow down rather quickly.  If you are not prepaired for that, it can freak you out.   Cool

With the clutch lever held in, give the gas a blip, then the engine & trans  will be synched & not load the rear tire.
Or, just put pressure on the shifter, not trying to bend it, just light pressure, & roll off the throttle, Itll fall into the lower gear.
Or, If you are running hot, gas it, step down & itll be in a lower gear.

Clutchless shifting between 1st & 2nd, up or down, is not easy. Ive done it & IF I am playing Hotrod & really pumped on adrenaline, I can do it, but its just not worth it to me. The chances of lurching & jerking the bike hard or only partially making the shift & it popping out are just too high. All the others are so easy they require no thought,
To get started & not worry about lurching the drive around, just play around, shifting up & down, between 4th & 5th. That way the engine RPM only changes a little while the RPM on the rear wheel changes a lot, so it wont skid so easy as if you dont synchronize the tranny & engine & wheel speeds in a lower gear.

« Last Edit: 09/24/09 at 10:23:21 by justin_o_guy2 »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #19 - 09/24/09 at 09:06:31

Like Justin I give it a blip of throttle too when down shifting. Shifts a lot smoother doing this. I don't even think about it any more. It just happens.. This shifting issue is definately an engine feel thing, and that is only aquired with lots of practice. Over time it become 2nd nature.

On the bright side, I couldn't think of a more enjoyable think to do that practice riding a motorcycle.

On 2nd thought  maybe 1 Roll Eyes

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #20 - 09/24/09 at 10:38:36

The supertrapp i have helps indicate when to shift. I can actually hear and feel it it v the stock muffler.

Man, an di thought i was the only one who tries to get to 6th every now and then

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/24/09 at 12:43:44

Dude, your over thinking this. You will figure this out in the first couple of rides. When you are at 40mph in first gear or 20mph in fifth you will know it is time to change gears. Ride your bike, have fun...we will see you out there!
JB

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #22 - 09/24/09 at 13:05:43

If it feels good, you are probably in the right gear!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/24/09 at 18:06:08

Wet clutch. Different from dry clutch.  Slip as required in first for low speed, or rounding a corner in second when you didn't get to first.  

MSF likes that clutch held in.  Makes me tired.  If I'm stuck at a light I hit the kill switch.  If it's a long one, I'll turn the key.  Plenty of time to get going again on the yellow for the other direction.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
nbatter
YaBB Newbies

nebraska
Reply #24 - 09/24/09 at 18:23:47

thanks for all the feedback -- much appreciated.

i am riding her a couple hours each day, i just wanted to make sure im not killing my bike with my ignorance, but the replies are very assuring. thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:42:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › shifting speeds

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.