Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Confused about buying a slip on muffler.. (Read 497 times)
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Confused about buying a slip on muffler..
09/19/09 at 21:33:47

I purchased a 2009 S40 not more than two weeks ago and I'm loving it! I've put on clear signals and brake light and a side mount license plate. Now I'm looking to add more performance.

I've search on the forums about slip on mufflers and found a couple of brands: Supertrapp, Jardine, Sportster, and Dyna. When I get on their respective sites, I don't know what to buy. I tried to get on ebay to find any deals but I'm afraid to buy just in case it doesn't fit. Plus it seems that when you are looking to buy a sportster or dyna you end up buying two mufflers.

I'd like to go the most cost effective route which is why I'm looking at Sportster and Dyna slip ons. Plus I'd like to get black as well. Any pointers? Thanks in advance! Smiley

P.S. Oh, I'm planning on buying a Dynojet kit as well as a K&N. Debating on the K&N bc I've seen that not everyone is gung ho about it bc the possible more dirt entering.

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Confused about buying a slip on muffler..
Reply #1 - 09/19/09 at 21:46:48

You can get a Dyna take-off from your local Harley shop if they are frendly enough.  You do not want a canister with a cross-over port.  It is important that you ask for a take off canister - cause they will try to sell you a new set.  Cost anywhere from free to $50 - do not pay anymore than $50

You will need a 1 3/4" exhaust clamp - get one from the harley dealer, about $10 - best clamp out there.

Buy a jet kit from Lancer - $15

Bolt on affair - nothing to it really.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/19/09 at 22:01:08

If you get a sportster or dyna take off it most likely WILL NOT fit as is. Never fear. The problem is this - The OD of the head pipe is slightly larger than the ID of harley mufflers. Some are able to just really clamp it down hard and it works. Most make a shim. I just cut the ends off a soda can and then cut it down the middle, folded the aluminum over once or twice (cant recall) wrapped it around the head pipe and slid the muffler over it. Then clamped it of course.

One more thing to add just to make fitting it easier. As ER pointed out make sure whatever muffler you get does not have a crossover port. Also, there are two kind of mounts. Tab mounts and rail. A rail mount will be much more simple. Keep looking on ebay. I was able to get a single, brand new, screaming eagle slash cut for $25.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 09/19/09 at 23:13:57

tran2112, what state are u in? If u r in Southern California near LALA land, I have an extra Sporter muff that u can have and try it out. And if you live near me, you can come over and check out how I did mine. Heck, I might even help you put it in Wink
BTW: Are u Vietnamese?

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #4 - 09/20/09 at 00:17:36

i used some exhaust paste on mine, smother it round the connections, fit the pipe, bigger exhaust clamp to hold the join together, when its gets hot it sets rock hard and seals the join

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/20/09 at 04:15:13

Supertrapp allows the exhaust to be tuned, sounds really good doing it, too. Pricey.
Foe some increased power, a Dyna muffler & rejetting the carb would save a load of cash &, even tho I Have the Supertrapp & like it for the performance, the Dyna is a lot better looking IMO. Id still make the call I made, I like the Trapp enough to accept that its not so pretty.

Before you spend any $$$ on the carb, talk to Lancer. IIRC he said something about Dyna Jet not being the best way to spend $$ on these carbs..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #6 - 09/20/09 at 05:54:55

Thanks for all the advice! This is the most comradely forum I've been to. Other forums would see my single post and not bother to answer. I really appreciate it. It's been fun to meet other ppl with the same bike and the same passion.

So this is what the game plan thus far..

Muffler
I just started Chiropractic school so I'm ridiculously poor now so I'm going with the Dyna from a local Harley dealership to be sure that I get the exact muffler you guys suggested. (My school doesn't allow new students to park on campus so that was my justification to buy the bike - haha!) Now I need to do some research on what a "canister with a cross-over port" aka get a "take off canister" and not pay more than $50. I've come to realize that bike shops and mechanic give you better advice and prices when you walk in and at least pretend to know what you're talking about.

Other Mods
Jet Kit - I'm going to shoot Lancer a PM about purchasing a jet kit. Is installing a jet kit for a newbie mechanic an easy process? I tried to reading the DynoJet's 4 easy steps to installing one and noticed there's drilling involved seems difficult.

Air Filter - So K&N? I saw that the Savage Store suggests a brand different from K&N bc it doesn't require oiling. But I also read that a lot of ppl do not suggest an air filter because of the debris entering the engine.

I'm also planning on getting the HID headlight conversion kit. Getting old and my eyes are terrible at night.

SavageDude wrote on 09/19/09 at 23:13:57:
tran2112, what state are u in? If u r in Southern California near LALA land, I have an extra Sporter muff that u can have and try it out. And if you live near me, you can come over and check out how I did mine. Heck, I might even help you put it in Wink
BTW: Are u Vietnamese?

That would have been awesome but I'm actually in Dallas, TX. Yep, I am Vietnamese. Wanna halfway and get some Pho in NM or AZ? HAHA!

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/20/09 at 06:01:27

I am in Longview & VHSKid is in Tyler. Holler if you are heading East.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/20/09 at 06:03:55

I elected to keep the stock muffler and open it up a little, ...for the very reason of these other mufflers not fitting.
Not only the problem of pipe sizes not being correct, also confusion of the angle not being correct, and having to use an adapter made at a muffler shop, and others not having the mounting hole in the right place, and having to bend tabs on others.
I don't even know if "any" of these mufflers actually fit right on w/o modifying something.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #9 - 09/20/09 at 06:43:22

Routy wrote on 09/20/09 at 06:03:55:
I elected to keep the stock muffler and open it up a little, ...for the very reason of these other mufflers not fitting.
Not only the problem of pipe sizes not being correct, also confusion of the angle not being correct, and having to use an adapter made at a muffler shop, and others not having the mounting hole in the right place, and having to bend tabs on others.
I don't even know if "any" of these mufflers actually fit right on w/o modifying something.

SavageDude graciously is sending his extra muffler to me as long as I pay him for the shipping costs. Just as important, he's sending me the installation documents. I'm going to compare SavageDude's docs versus EducatedRedneck's advice on getting a 1 3/4" exhaust clamp. If you want, I can let you know how everything goes. I'm definitely not a gear head but I'm trying to learn to save me $. I'm so glad that these guys are here to help me with this adventure I'm starting.

flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/20/09 at 07:48:43

dhtran wrote on 09/19/09 at 21:33:47:
I purchased a 2009 S40 not more than two weeks ago and I'm loving it! I've put on clear signals and brake light and a side mount license plate. Now I'm looking to add more performance.

I've search on the forums about slip on mufflers and found a couple of brands: Supertrapp, Jardine, Sportster, and Dyna. When I get on their respective sites, I don't know what to buy. I tried to get on ebay to find any deals but I'm afraid to buy just in case it doesn't fit. Plus it seems that when you are looking to buy a sportster or dyna you end up buying two mufflers.

I'd like to go the most cost effective route which is why I'm looking at Sportster and Dyna slip ons. Plus I'd like to get black as well. Any pointers? Thanks in advance! Smiley

P.S. Oh, I'm planning on buying a Dynojet kit as well as a K&N. Debating on the K&N bc I've seen that not everyone is gung ho about it bc the possible more dirt entering.

Tran, Welcome to the site, Everyone in here is very helpful and willing to assist when needed.  Now, we love pics so how about posting pics of your new ride and mods you've done so far.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/20/09 at 08:04:28

Tran, when you start making changes, document performance FIRST, then compare. Make one change at a time, then test. Otherwise, youll get a bunch of stuff done & not know what physical change relates to what performance change. I didnt do it that way & I wish I had..

IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Pics of Clear Lenses & Side Mount License Plat
Reply #12 - 09/20/09 at 14:25:35

@Justin, point taken. I'll wait until I get SavageDude's extra muffler and slap that on and wait on Lancer's jet kit then the fourth week do a intake.. then the white spacer... looks like weekends are full of football, riding, and tweaking! Smiley  

@flcruzr,  I added clear lenses all around and a side mount license plate. I need to get different screws to hold the actual plate. That red is killing me. I'm planning on blacking out everything that's chrome on there so powder coating the header, exhaust, well pretty much anything that can be powder coated. I'd like to change out the side mirrors for something alot smaller.

Click to enlarge.

Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 09/20/09 at 17:39:23

Tran,
Whats the reason for the clear lens ? I haven't heard that talked about before.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Clear Lenses (Signal and Rear Brake Light)
Reply #14 - 09/20/09 at 17:58:23

Routy wrote on 09/20/09 at 17:39:23:
Tran,
Whats the reason for the clear lens ? I haven't heard that talked about before.

I like all my vehicles "clean" in colors. Back in the mid 90s, a lot of third party companies made clear corners, clear tail lights, smoked lenses, etc. Remember the infamous blackouts? I hated those soooo bad.. Oh dear... Nowadays, car manufacturers develop the car with these accessories already installed i.e. the Lexus RX. I remember back then I used to buy clear everything, tint, alarm, CD player, CD changer, rims, speakers, etc. Now my latest ride, a 2006 Honda Element, I've only bought a billet grille and took off all my emblems. It came with everything else.  

I just think it cleans up the looks a lot. You can kind of see the color of the bulb but it isn't that recognizable. That's why the reflectors on my license plate are bugging me quite a bit. I just took off my side mirrors too - haha.. I just think less is more...

What do you think?  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 21:09:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Confused about buying a slip on muffler..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.