Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Still back firing after rejet (Read 267 times)
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Still back firing after rejet
09/23/09 at 06:08:31

2005 S40 , took out the last baffle in the muffler and replaced the air filter with a mesh steel one. Installed the dyna stage one kit, their 144 main jet and later the 146, tried with the little white washer , a smaller one then just a small #4 and now no washer, and it still backfires after closing the throttle and engine braking all the way to a stop, not just pop pop pop but a really load baaang , scares the crap out of people at the traffic light lol.
What else can I do? Undecided

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Still back firing after rejet
Reply #1 - 09/23/09 at 08:19:50

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. You do not have a "backfire". You have an "afterfire". A backfire is when the flame makes its way back through the intake side of the system into the intake manifold and carburetor. However, the "afterfire" is usually, though incorrectly, called a "backfire".

On closed throttle deceleration the engine vacuum goes quite high. The throttle slide is closed, so little air passes (which is why the vacuum is high). The throttle slide being closed, the needle pretty much closes off the main jet. The high vacuum pulls excess fuel into the manifold via the pilot (idle) circuit, and with little air the mixture is probably rich. This rich mixture may or may not burn properly in the engine. If it doesn't, it makes its way into the hot exhaust pipe. Once the engine finally gets a burnable mixture and fires, the flame from the exhaust valve can ignite the fuel in the exhaust, and you get the afterfire. Making things worse, the fuel in the float bowl tends to move slightly forward on deceleration (or lots forward if you brake hard). The passages to the pilot are in the front of the float bowl, so the mixture tends to get richer yet. It seems odd that the mixture will go rich on deceleration, since Suzuki jets the pilot lean to meet EPA regulations, but I think that is what happens. I may be wrong, but I think the simplest remedy is to turn up the idle, which will reduce the engine vacuum on overrun by not allowing the throttle butterfly to close quite as far.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - 09/23/09 at 08:36:30

I hear you, I am going to try that

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/09 at 08:41:32

Charon, IDK if thats exactly "It", but it sure sounded good. Ive never even tried to wrap my head around the exact mechanism that causes the popping & barking, because I dont think I could have ever figured that out like that. IF thats not right on, you sure coulda fooled me,. Excellent post..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/23/09 at 08:53:30

Hard engine braking on an exit ramp from interstate full speed run will cause the same sorts of shuffling-whapping-bapping nonsense.  

Simply dialing in a tiny bit of throttle will stop it instantly.

Another part of the puzzle is very high full run exhaust temps that can cause burn detonation starting from the end of a shorty muffler (where air and oxygen can mix with the exiting fuel rich exhaust letting it combust on exit).

Watching Toymakers short can exhaust at the first Dragon run was a lot of fun -- made small flames and a lot of whapping and bapping noises on exiting the interstate.  

I used to tease him about it but I can't say much about it now as I whap-bap now too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #5 - 09/23/09 at 09:47:06

I chnged back to a smaller jet, put the white ring back in, upped idle rpm, but no luck yet, yes opening the throttle will solve the problem, but I forget and the result is a loud bang....
Thanks form your input guys, I'll keep trying stuff, maybe steer away from the Dyno jets.

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/23/09 at 10:44:29

Desert Dweller,.... in which desert do you dwell?.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/23/09 at 11:30:38

With your mods it'll hard for anybody to give you perfect advice.

I go about like this, adjust the Idle mixture for the shutoff bang, should be a little poof.  Use the WOT steady speed back off test for the main, white spacer mod to tame any flat spots.

next check the exhaust for leaks.  use a candle flame to find the little buggers.

I find that exhaust leaks are usually responsible for shift bangs especially if your idle seed is too low.

WWW   IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 09/23/09 at 14:12:57

Serowbot wrote on 09/23/09 at 10:44:29:
Desert Dweller,.... in which desert do you dwell?.... Huh

Tucson, like you!

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 09/23/09 at 14:15:16

verslagen1 wrote on 09/23/09 at 11:30:38:

I go about like this, adjust the Idle mixture for the shutoff bang, should be a little poof.  Use the WOT steady speed back off test for the main, white spacer mod to tame any flat spots.

next check the exhaust for leaks.  use a candle flame to find the little buggers.

I find that exhaust leaks are usually responsible for shift bangs especially if your idle seed is too low.

Thanks I,ll look for exhaust leaks, thinking of getting a screaming eagle from ebay, maybe that'll help too Cool

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 09/23/09 at 14:36:02

DesertDweller....Just for info,There's a small group here of Savage riders close to you,or at least in Arizona Smiley About four of them,I think.Maybe more Undecided

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #11 - 09/23/09 at 15:46:01

Try a 152.5 main and no spacer

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/23/09 at 18:21:58

verslagen1 wrote on 09/23/09 at 11:30:38:

+1 on the bangs on decel

IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #13 - 09/23/09 at 19:04:31

FreeSpirit wrote on 09/23/09 at 14:36:02:
DesertDweller....Just for info,There's a small group here of Savage riders close to you,or at least in Arizona Smiley About four of them,I think.Maybe more Undecided

That's cool Free, maybe I'll see them here! Cool

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
DesertDweller
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #14 - 09/23/09 at 19:05:10

vtail wrote on 09/23/09 at 15:46:01:
Try a 152.5 main and no spacer

I am getting different jets as we speak, thanks.
Smiley

'05 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 01:15:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Still back firing after rejet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.