Now THAT"S a  horn! (Read 284 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Now THAT"S a  horn!
09/21/09 at 19:09:37

I don't use my horn a lot, but when I do I want it to be heard.  So I swapped out the pathetic stock "meep-meep" for this guy:

Now, I ran a pair of 14 gauge wired from the original horn back to under the seat where they plug into a relay.  I also ran a pair of heavier wires from the battery (actually to the pigtail for the battery tender that connects to the battery -- I upped the fuse to 15 or 20 amps).  The fused positive goes to the relay, then another wire goes from the other side of the relay to the + connector on the air horn.  The ground for the air horn goes from the - connector to the pigtail.  I used the stock horn mount.  I had to take out the metal shim inside the rubber part so a 5/16 bolt 3/4 long could fit through with a washer on either side of the mount.  I turned my single wires into duplex with heat shrink tubes, and wrapped everything that shows with black electrical tape.

Now when I push the horn button it sounds like a cross between a '58 Buick Roadmaster and a Mack truck!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: Now THAT"S a  horn!
Reply #1 - 09/21/09 at 19:27:56

What's the make and model of the horn. Love the idea.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #2 - 09/21/09 at 19:32:11

That dog will hunt!!! great mod!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #3 - 09/21/09 at 20:53:53

Skid Mark wrote on 09/21/09 at 19:27:56:
What's the make and model of the horn. Love the idea.

I got it from good ol' Sportsman's Guide -- www.sportsmansguide.com

A lot of their stuff goes in and out of stock, so you may have to hunt for it.  FWIW it says "FIAMM" on the package, and it looks just like the Stebel Nautilus and Wolo miniature air horns.  Do I smell re-branding and repackaging?  It came with the relay and some mounting parts.  The bolt that came with it was WAY too long, but I could see how to mount it.  As for the angle, that's just the way it settled by gravity -- however the crossbar/turn signal mount just tucks into it.  At the extreme it nudges the horn in the rubber mounting, but that's not a position it'll see much in actual riding.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #4 - 09/22/09 at 02:22:55

That's a WOLO badboy.  I put one on my Savage.  Easy to do and LOUD.  I am even going to put one on my Vulcan.

T Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #5 - 09/22/09 at 09:44:04

Quite possible will do a WOLO this winter.  A great safey enhancer, affordable, and fairly simple to do. I have a 12v power supply line off the battery that I can tie into a relay if needed. The horns I've come across come with a relay and are prices under $100

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #6 - 09/27/09 at 21:18:53

I took the thumper on a club ride this morning -- meet 6 AM, leave 6:30.  Our leader was a guy who has a truly encyclopedic knowledge of the local back roads and keeps a brisk pace.  I found myself going through places I've been a dozen times and having no idea how we'd gotten there.

I got to show off the new horn, and actually used it.  On the way home I spotted a car at an intersection.  I wasn't sure if he'd seen me, so I gave him a little "toot-toot".  Not anything obnoxious, just saying "Hello -- I'm here!"  It was nice to know that it was heard.

I still covered the brake!   Grin

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #7 - 09/28/09 at 04:55:27

Went to J&P cycles at Destination Daytona this weekend,I think they carry that horn.check them out.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/28/09 at 05:54:52

Harbor Freight has that horn for $40.The one they have is the WOLO brand.

A quick check of their website shows they offer it in chrome for $50.
Part number for the plain one is 94117-OVGA & chrome is 97099-OVGA.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #9 - 10/06/09 at 09:53:46

Love the horn. Just a quick question. I'm familiar with ohms, volts and amps. Was the bigger wire and fuse necessary or just a precaution? This project is on my list of winter to dos.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #10 - 10/06/09 at 13:44:57

A little of both -- if it needs a relay and a 20 amp fuse, you can't go wrong with a bigger wire!

Besides, I had some lying around the workbench from a previous project.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:45:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Now THAT"S a  horn!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.