Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Rusty tank...
10/01/09 at 16:41:19

My buddy bought a V-Star with 12 miles on it, sitting for two years...
Tank is so rusted, we couldn't get the cap off...  So, now the cap's off... and the tank is full off rust.
Carbs cleaned, lines and petcock replaced,...

But that rusty tank....
Any ideas?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Re: Rusty tank...
Reply #1 - 10/01/09 at 16:53:58

Aye, Take the tank off the bike and take pet tap off block the hole and put a couple of handfuls of gravel (small stones) into it and add  two or three pints of water, put hand over filler hole and shake it like hell, you could put some music on to keep in time to, then pour it all out the filler hole, do this a few times and your tank will be spotless

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 10/01/09 at 17:23:24

that may work, but if it looks pretty bad i'll bet not. go to your local wal mart or equivelent. buy some WORKS toilet bowl cleaner. one bottle should do it. if not, they only cost about a dollar. youll need to plug the petcock hole. i usually throw a few screws in the tank first, shake it around really well, then with a long magnetic screwdriver, take them back out. now for the fun stuff. pour in a bottle of the works, then fill the rest with water. let it set. i have let them set over night with no ill effects. the next day, pour the mixture out (according to EPA regulations Wink ) then rinse the heck out of it with water, i have done it about ten times. i would recommend sealing the tank with por 15 expensive, but worth it.

disclaimer, the works is ACID so be careful. by doing this, you take full responsibility of your actions. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!!!

now back to our regularly scheduled programing  Cool

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/01/09 at 17:30:44

I dont like nuts or gravel or anything, usually some of that crap gets stuck in there wihtout a way to remove. I in fact clogged my fuel valve on my coffee colored tank 2-3 years ago with a BB put in in a POR15 prep stage. Of course savage tank does drain a lot better than some tanks do.
I also hate coating tanks that dont drain 100% and you cant access much of it cos the frame tunnel is right under the filler cap.
The worst offenders seem to be honda, shadow 600 and a CB400F tank were the worst IMHO.

The way I would do it - muriatic acid full strength and just about 1-2 pints needed to get the rust out. 2-10 mins sloshing will do for most tanks, Drain and toss it in the sewer not storm drain. It is a component of toilet bowl cleaner, so toilets and sewers are OK with it. Ground will turn acidic and nothign grows there for 2-3 years, drain = lakes and streams = bad. Baking soda will neutralise it in any location as long as its not run off into somewhere.

Follow with super hot water and slosh and dry, and baking soda can be added in addition to hot water.
Dry it.
Then put a little acetone in it and slosh it and get it dry with a new clean towel etc.
Then put 1/4-1/2 a pint of that kreem stuff in it and slosh. as it gets thicker from evaporation, slosh it less till it just needs to be dried.
I sometimes do POR15, but in a tank that dont drain 100% POR15 is a lot harder to get right. My virago 1100 is one such tank, I really prefer kreem when it dont drain 100%.
I could do it but I rely on warm weather, so if I catch a cold and rainy spread it will sit till I get a 70 degree dry weekend. Anyway, $100 is I were to do it and shipping. I have over 50 tanks I have kreemed/POR15'ed.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/01/09 at 17:34:51

Bill Hirsch products has been the leader in the automotive restoration industry for many years.  They sell a kit to remove the rust and seal any gas tank.

I've used the gas tank kit in a number of vehicles, and it works perfectly. Its well worth the $30.00.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CRK-01

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/01/09 at 18:48:28

There was a post a while back where someone added a cup or two of pennies to the tank and padded it up good with a quilt. Then they put it in the clothes dryer for about 30minutes. The copper cut out the rust without cutting the harder steel, and it cleaned the pennies as well. I guess you could count the pennies to make sure you got them all back.
You will still have to seal the inside of the tank or the rust will just come back. I did it one time with fiberglass resin...worked like a charm!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/01/09 at 18:53:52

& If you dont want to spend the $$$ on a kit, $12.00 for a quart of Ospho will kill the rust left in the tank after the shaking & rinsing. Phospric acid turns iron oxide into iron phosphate, doesnt cover it up, kills it..& youll have nearly all of it left over, it only takes getting it wet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 10/01/09 at 19:09:55

Rustol.

Mix with water (5:1 or 10:1) put in tank for 8 to 12 hours.  Shaking periodically.

Works wonderfully.  Got it at the local Honda Dealer.

http://www.sudco.com/rustol.html

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/01/09 at 19:14:56

Thanks for all the ideas guys,... I'll print'em out and pass them on...
Serowbot  Wink

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/02/09 at 06:16:25

Phosphoric acid turns rust into phosphate yes, but it also leaves blisters of that and it gives off a lot of powdery phosphate crap. It will take a lot of washing etc etc and phosphate slowly turns back into rust. Gasoline has enough crap in it like Oxygen and methanol that it will rust very well. I'd phosphate a frame any day, in fact POR15's acid is a close relative of phosphate and I have a frame I just did in that, I like it a lot when its out in the open, but not a gastank.

Pennies, this or that, no idea, but muriatic acid eats rust very very fast and steel over 1000 times slower. And that is if you use it full strength. Once it eats the rust, it may be too dilute to have any effect on the steel.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 10/02/09 at 09:44:34

srinath wrote on 10/02/09 at 06:16:25:
Phosphoric acid turns rust into phosphate yes, but it also leaves blisters of that and it gives off a lot of powdery phosphate crap. It will take a lot of washing etc etc and phosphate slowly turns back into rust. Gasoline has enough crap in it like Oxygen and methanol that it will rust very well. I'd phosphate a frame any day, in fact POR15's acid is a close relative of phosphate and I have a frame I just did in that, I like it a lot when its out in the open, but not a gastank.

Pennies, this or that, no idea, but muriatic acid eats rust very very fast and steel over 1000 times slower. And that is if you use it full strength. Once it eats the rust, it may be too dilute to have any effect on the steel.
Cool.
Srinath.

Srinath,
   Just looked at the Rustol MSDS.  It says ita a Aminopoly Carboxylic Acid derivative.  Do you know anything about that chemical?

TMack 1

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/02/09 at 10:54:42

Cool.
Srinath.

Muriatic acid is the stuff people use in swimming pools right?....  Can I buy that stuff at a pool supply place?...
Also, how harmful is it to paint?...

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/02/09 at 10:59:19

Phosphoric acid attacks nonferrous metals such as brass, bronze, copper, etc.  Any brazing will start to dissolve when submersed in phosphoric acid.  I know, because I watched it happen overnight  on a rusted steel item that had been repaired with braze.   Phosphoric acid will change the temper of the surface of iron or steel, which is why you don't use it to remove rust from springs.  I'd think real carefully about submersing a bike frame in it because the temper of the welds as well as frame temper will be affected by Phosphoric acid.  Also, it is really bad for your lungs, and will burn your skin:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/P3973.htm

I stopped using Phosphoric acid because of a product that was introduced some years ago and works just as well, though not as fast.  I use "Evapo Rust" instead and although it takes 3X longer to do the job, it always removes rust completely when an object is submersed in it.  I Prefer it because it's easier to ship through the mail or UPS, it doesn't attack non-ferrous metals, and it doesn't burn your skin or eat holes in your clothes.  The fumes don't burn you eyes.  Its a fairly safe product to handle.

http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html

You still need to quickly seal the tank after you remove the rust because it will immediately start to rust again as soon as moisture in the air or water in your gas, hits it.  Thats why the $30.00 Bill Hirsch kit is is convenient.  Everything you need is right there and it works perfectly.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/02/09 at 11:01:04

Serowbot wrote on 10/02/09 at 10:54:42:

Cool.
Srinath.

Muriatic acid is the stuff people use in swimming pools right?....  Can I buy that stuff at a pool supply place?...

Thats nasty stuff, Serowbot.  I've used it to clean pools and driveways, and you have to be real careful and really protect your skin, eyes and lungs.  

http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Visual_Art/documents/Muriaticacid.pdf

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 10/02/09 at 11:16:34

Muriatic acid does give out chlorine. However it eats rust so fast, and gets diluted in the process - you toss in a pint in a 3-5 gal tank, seal all holes with duct tape and 2-5 mins of shaking and you're done. Dump it on your driveway (away from all metal objects) and toss baking soda on it and water from a hose and you're done.

The thing is available 2 gal for 10 bucks @ home depot.

Phosphoric acid is a lot less toxic but it is messier at the end. And hard to finish the job in a closed in space.

I dunno about any others. Oh, POR15's acid is a close cousin of Phosphoric acid.

I agree on the quick sealing of the tank after muriatic acid, but that time is in the order os 10-20 mins not in the order of seconds.
If your tank will drain dry, or drian 90% dry and you have good access like a savage tank 20 mins is plenty of time.

Sealing against acetone has to be done with inner tube and petcock and a rubber stopper on the mouth, you have to keep it plugged up good.

Muriatic acid in the time you would slosh it will not get out in any quantity to hurt paint. Sealing wiht duct tape should keep it 99% inside. Few little runs etc should be wiped and be OK.

Honestly I have had far worse than muriatic acid. If you're afraid of it full strength, dilute it 2-10 times. But then you have to seal it tight because it will need more quantity and more time. Inner tube inside petcock works for that as does rubber plug @ cap.

Muriatic acid's strength is its biggest strength, forgive the pun. Its very very quick acting.

I'll happily do it for you - POR15 or Kreem, but in a way it depends on the tank design as to what is best.

BTW take it from me - and I have the virago tank to prove it, if you are powdercoating it after wards, you need to do POR15. Not Kreem. It cant stand 450 degrees.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 12:47:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rusty tank...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.