Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Down Shifting Problem on S40. (Read 264 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Down Shifting Problem on S40.
Reply #15 - 09/24/09 at 12:06:32

Don't get me wrong EB, my style matches the moment.  Clutchless shifting is more or less limited to getting to freeway speeds from a dead stop.  But I enjoy a good rumble pop shift as well as the next guy.  And don't have the nack for downshifting.  But being able to do it, got me home one night when my clutch went out.  And does save your clutch hand when riding in traffic.

WWW   IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #16 - 09/24/09 at 19:00:15

I had to shift without the clutch in my Chevy Love when it's clutch went out many years ago. Helps to know how.

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/24/09 at 20:14:39

My maternal grandfather started out on bikes before WWII.  Moved through souping up Allisons and other aircraft power plants, then into race cars.  He could drive.

His shifting technique in a car was the most gentle I've seen.  He'd just whisper from gear to gear.  While this sounds slow, he was also more than quick enough for quite spirited work.  I'm sure he was just as gentle and precise on motorbikes.  

That's how I tend to shift - with as little force and as careful matching as possible.  It works.  I have a BMW with about 300,000 miles on the original clutch, and a Ford Ranger that got a clutch just because it was out at 175,000 miles - with 80% of the disk live left.  

I can shift a car without a clutch.  I just don't.

On Suzi, I find that the the trans is pretty light, things spin up and down pretty easy.  So a quick shift is cleaner.

I understand the polishing of touching clutch components.  That makes sense.  I can feel the stick sometimes.  I found the change to synthetic oil greatly helped the shifting.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #18 - 09/25/09 at 05:51:22

I had a brother that could speed shift unlike anything I had ever seen back in the 60's. It was amazing how fast he could go from one gear to another. Now, he used the clutch is why his super fast syncronization was so unbelieveable. For me, I enjoy shifting, even using the clutch on all my bikes. I feel I would be missing part of the biking experience if I just syncronized and kicked it up or down. Might as well have an automatic, almost. Thats just me....Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:42:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Down Shifting Problem on S40.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.