Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Down Shifting Problem on S40. (Read 264 times)
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Down Shifting Problem on S40.
09/21/09 at 18:26:20

Sometimes after engine is well warmed up, it becomes hard to downshift certain gears. Maybe only one. It is like the spring that lifts the shifter back up so you can down shift again is too weak. At times I can press harder and it will go down. I can always release the clutch a little and the down shift is immediate. Last, but also works is to stop in high gear, then roll backwards with clutch disingaged as you down shift. That works beautifully. Several bikes I have owned have done this including a Harley Sportster. This S40 seems to be the worst. It does not do this when the engine is not yet warmed up. It gets worse when the oil thins. I use Mobile 1 synthetic 20W-50 V-Twin oil. Anyone have any ideas as what to do? Thanks, Dan

2006 S40. Christian biker. Bikes rock, but there is more to life than bikes.
  IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Down Shifting Problem on S40.
Reply #1 - 09/21/09 at 19:43:44

Not this exactly.  But I've found, when the machine warms up, the shifter often goes dead on downshifts.

You step on it, and it doesn't shift.  Can't shift up or down.  Letting out the clutch a little gives a >snap!< and the lower gear pops in.  Often the next gear down does the same...that's a 5-4 and 4-3 shift.

By the same token, I frequently don't get that satisfying snick! in upshifts, although the gear goes in.  Sometimes if I hold the shift lever up, it will snick when power starts to apply; sometimes not.

This is the third metric bike I had that was this way; the other two were Yamahas.  The first one was used; and I wrote it off to wear.  The second one was new to me, and I passed it off as my damage from sloppy shifting.

Third time, on a nearly-new Suzuki...something's gotta be up with the basic rachet design.... Angry

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 09/21/09 at 19:44:29

How new is your bike? I brought mine when it's was spanking new; so I had the same problem of downshifting. As more mileage racking up, she is smooth as silk now or maybe I know how to please her Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/21/09 at 20:02:58

Mine is still notchy as all getout at 12,000 miles.  Reminds me of my BMW car - took almost 100,000 miles to get the trans broken in.  

1 - 2 and 2 -1 are touchy.  2 - 3 and 3 - 4 get lots of use and are easy either direction.  4 - 5 varies from no feel effortless to fail to go in.  5 - 4 is fine.  

Switching to synthetic oil greatly improved the shifting.  

I've not had a metric bike trans apart, so I don't have the visualization as precise as I would like.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/21/09 at 21:41:18

Give it a little gas & step down, or jusr roll off the throttle & step down, either way, itll shift.
2nd to 1st? use tha clutch

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 09/22/09 at 06:32:57

Mine does the same thing at times too. It also sometimes wont go into first from neutral. I let the clutch out and then pull it back in and then my bike shifts just fine. As far as shifting from 4th to 5th, I think that most of our bikes have that issue. Sometimes it shifts fine, other times it doesn't feel like it shifts but does. Switching to synthetic oil does seem to help.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
JustPassinThru
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/22/09 at 18:12:57

SavageDude wrote on 09/21/09 at 19:44:29:
How new is your bike? I brought mine when it's was spanking new; so I had the same problem of downshifting. As more mileage racking up, she is smooth as silk now or maybe I know how to please her Grin

Who, me?

It had 1300-odd miles on the clock when I bought it; four years old.  It had been female-owned and apparently neglected...the muffler was drilled or hammered out with a punch; it had been mostly kept outdoors in the sun.  (Faded kill switch and speedo needle; and dry rot on the tires.)

But it shifted smooth on a test ride; and it STILL shifts smooth...cold.

Gonna change the oil soon; it'll get Mobil 1 V-twin; hopefully it will get better or at least not worse.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #7 - 09/23/09 at 14:40:57

The bike is an '06 with 4000+ miles. I bought it used. Except for the shifting, it runs and looks about new. It has synthetic Mobile 1 V-Twin 20W-50 oil in it. (fresh change) Thanks everyone for all ihe information. Hope there is more coming....Dan

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #8 - 09/23/09 at 18:59:44

Might add that my motorcycle mechanic indy tried to explain some of this shifting problem to me. He said that there is a shift drum with flats and a star like wheel, both of which can be polished to make shifting easier. He said that some part rests on the flats, I suppose for each gear. This part is sometimes hard to move off the flat. I asked if this polishing would make it jump out of gear and he said no. He said some of the racer's do this process to their race bikes....Dan

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/23/09 at 20:47:32

I must say... you guys must ride in silk socks.
You really feel all that crap?
I just apply a little pressure in the direction I want to go, clutch it or not, twist the grip and she's in like flinn.
I think you're trying to be too touchy/feely.  
Mannup, shiftit, wheelie optional.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/23/09 at 20:57:51

No kidding.Pull away from a stop & see how fast you can get to 25 MPH, see how quick you can get into 2nd, when 40 is about to run under the needle, put some pressure on the shifter, slam the throttle shut & try to make your toes touch your knee. Gas it. Repeat till you run out of gears.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #11 - 09/24/09 at 10:10:24

Justin, why would I want to do that? That sounds like a maniac's method. I intend to enjoy riding my bike, not drag racing at every start. Upshifts are OK. It is down shifting that concerns me. Thanks for your input anyway....Dan

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #12 - 09/24/09 at 10:23:17

verslagen1, people are different. Some ride rougher than others. I am not a rough rider and do not shift without the clutch. I am not a sissy foot shifter either and probably most of the others are not as well. Shifting without the clutch is asking for trouble. I am a long time rider, off and on since 1950 and find the Suzuki 650 one of the most difficult downshifters I have owned in all these years. Your input and interest in the problem some of us have described in this thread is appreciated even though you have claimed us to be too sensitive....Dan

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/24/09 at 10:25:58

Ebikerman wrote on 09/24/09 at 10:10:24:
Justin, why would I want to do that? That sounds like a maniac's method. I intend to enjoy riding my bike, not drag racing at every start. Upshifts are OK. It is down shifting that concerns me. Thanks for your input anyway....Dan

Because once you can do that, youll be able to do it the soft & easy way. You can shift up & down w/o the clutch, sitting straight up, totally relaxed & into neutral, rolling up to a stop & never touch the clutch.
Eliminates cable wear, eliminates clutch wear, & gives a sense of accomplishment.

IP Logged
Ebikerman

Jesus is #1

Fitzgerald, GA
Reply #14 - 09/24/09 at 10:41:20

Keep it up and you will run into trouble. The parts you mention as saving are relatively cheap. The dogs on the gears are not and you are most likely rounding them off a little at a time until you reach the point that your bike will not stay in gear. Then the price of a complete engine teardown and gear replacement will be facing you. If you are very skilled and careful, you might syncronize each shift and avoid the costly repair mentioned. Otherwise, your nifty quick shift method is slowly putting your trans in danger. Why do you think Suzuki gave us a clutch, just to put it into first gear? Note how small the trans is on the Suziki 650. Could not be much beef in there. Best of luck...Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:39:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Down Shifting Problem on S40.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.