White Spacer Mod (Read 348 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
White Spacer Mod
09/19/09 at 11:32:10

Just completed the white spacer mod (was .110 now .055) to correct the lean 1/4-1/3 throttle condition.
Nothing,.....I mean nothing could have worked better. It runs almost perfect now.
I thought removing the brass plug mod would be next, but not anymore,....I ain't touchin the air screw. It idles perfect, and runs near that too.

Advice ??,....that I should probably not be giving ?,......If you ride at around 500 ft elevation, and your bike is surging at low speed- 1/4 throttle, try a 1/2 white spacer mod. You mite just like it ! Shocked

And thanks to all who helped make it a little easier !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Re: White Spacer Mod
Reply #1 - 09/19/09 at 13:46:08

Yup. Smiley I recently went from the stock 145 main to the 150, up on the pilot and 3 washers in place of the spacer with a Dyna muffler. Purrrrrs like a tiger.

07 S40
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #2 - 09/20/09 at 07:13:05

I haven't been able to find on the forum what exactly this mod does. I see everyone that's done it with seemingly good results. Is this something you do instead of rejetting? If so, I'd love to save money but get max results where ever I can!

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 09/20/09 at 08:29:49

In the carburetor is a throttle slide. It is a large black plunger. Mounted to the slide is a "needle" which is actually a slightly tapered rod. The slide controls the amount of air entering the engine. The needle inserts into a "jet" which is actually a brass plug with a hole in the middle. The needle moves with the slide, and controls the amount of fuel passing through the jet. The fuel passes through the space between the needle and the hole in the jet. The "white spacer" is a white plastic washer, which positions the needle against a spring in the slide. Removing or thinning the spacer allows the needle to rise slightly in the slide, allowing slightly more fuel into the mixture, richening the mix in the midrange where the needle controls it. At wide open throttle the needle is pretty much all the way out of the jet, so the jet size controls fuel mixture.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/20/09 at 12:50:10

Wow,..I wish someone would have explained it that good before I started on it ! I kinda went into it blindly, but not much surprises, except it gets a little challenging in a couple spots, like getting those 2 little screws threaded back where they belong. And I doubt I could have removed the 6 screws w/o an impact driver

I think most times the spacer mod is done in combination w/ larger jets. But I like to keep stuff simple as possible, so thought I'd do the spacer first and hope that would do it. It turned out really good, and I don't really see any need for jet change right now. I don't even see a need to do the brass plug mod, as it runs and idles great just as it is.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dhtran
YaBB Newbies

If you see this, I
should be studying..

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 09/20/09 at 14:55:53

@Charon, that's was exact what I was looking for! Thanks a heap. I'm definitely sure that the next person who searches White Spacer Mod will see this! But I didn't look in the Tech section. I'll do that next time.

@Routy, I must admit that I am not very handy at mechanics. Is this mod something you recommend me trying to do? Can I really mess something up? It's definitely not worth taking to a mechanic for sure tho, huh?

2009 White Suzuki Boulevard S40 - Clear Signal and Rear Brake Lenses, Side License Plate Mount, and much more to come..
WWW dhtran DavidHaiTran   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/20/09 at 17:26:29

dhtran wrote on 09/20/09 at 14:55:53:
@Charon, that's was exact what I was looking for! Thanks a heap. I'm definitely sure that the next person who searches White Spacer Mod will see this! But I didn't look in the Tech section. I'll do that next time.

@Routy, I must admit that I am not very handy at mechanics. Is this mod something you recommend me trying to do? Can I really mess something up? It's definitely not worth taking to a mechanic for sure tho, huh?

Who am I that I should tell anyone that they should not attemt this mod unless they are handy in mechanical stuff, especially small parts, but, I'm afraid that would be my advice. I myself am a retired GM tech, and have overhauled many 4 barrel Quadrajets in my days, and this mod was still challenging for me.

I don't know if the Suzie shops do these mods or not.
Perhaps the "longtimers" here can tell you more about it.

Rich
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 09/20/09 at 18:14:28

Strictly speaking, neither you nor your motorcycle dealer can do the mod. Doing it is a violation of Federal laws against increasing engine emissions. Nor can you do any other modification to the intake or exhaust system which will increase emissions, including noise emissions. As a practical matter, you will probably get away with it because there is almost no enforcement at the individual level. You have been warned.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/20/09 at 19:00:04

a.k.a. a translation of the jibberish stamped onto the chrome on the side of the OEM muffler.  "If you modify anything, Big Brother will find you!!!"  Nevermind if perhaps some of us want to be more socially acceptable, and not have our bikes unleash upon hapless civilians a shotgun blast upon ignition cutoff.  GRR.  Smiley

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/20/09 at 20:08:36

dhtran wrote on 09/20/09 at 14:55:53:

While simple in principal, the tool techniques might prove challenging.  Depending on the condition of the things.  And some problem solving might be required.  

Ideally, it shouldn't be hard.  But if the machine screws holding the top of the carb are difficult to remove, then you'll probably have to remove the carb from the bike, which is a bit interesting.  Then be faced with the challenge of stuck screws.  Getting the needle out is no trouble, getting it back in might be less easy.  

We used to do this type of thing all the time for cars and faced similar troubles.  I don't know that motorcycle shops do it.  One would think so, given how lean many bikes run.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 09/20/09 at 20:31:23

[quote author=4B445E45595F4C4E46485F2D0 link=1253385130/0#6 date=1253492789]dhtran wrote on 09/20/09 at 14:55:53:

Do your research and see what tools you need to have to do the job. As any tweaking job, you need to allow extra time (double it up) in case things don't go right. All mods in this bike are doable but you have to read and read info in the Tech Section. To sum it up, do your homework Smiley

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/21/09 at 05:26:36

" except it gets a little challenging in a couple spots, like getting those 2 little screws threaded back where they belong. "
Here is a trick you might try. If you  don't have a magnetic screw driver to told the screw heads in place simply stick a small magnet to the shank of your screw driver. The tip will hold a magnetic charge until you pull the magnet off.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/21/09 at 05:43:09

zactly dat!! Or a drop of some GP glue, magnet is better, though.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 09/21/09 at 06:21:01

And make sure you get that little round plate right side up so that the slots line up correctly w/ the 2 holes.

And getting the outer edge of the rubber diaphram to stay in the groove till the cover is put on, was a little challenging also. I used some heavy sticky grease there too.

Rich
  IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #14 - 09/21/09 at 08:59:47

[quote author=263F3C3439373933313D500 link=1253385130/0#9 date=1253502516]dhtran wrote on 09/20/09 at 14:55:53:
We used to do this type of thing all the time for cars and faced similar troubles.  I don't know that motorcycle shops do it.  One would think so, given how lean many bikes run.

The suzuki shop I took mine to took out the spacer after I complained to them about backfire.  They completely took the spacer out, so now I have to go back in and fix it since they should have just modded the spacer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 18:08:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White Spacer Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.