Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oldfeller's air cleaner revisited 'with pictures' (Read 20 times)
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oldfeller's air cleaner revisited 'with pictures'
09/10/09 at 14:58:54

I have been using Oldfeller's Nu-foam filter for a while now, and I can see no evidence at all that dirt is getting to the back of the filter screen. I choose to change the filter element and I will defer to Oldfeller for the long term test results. I do believe however, that he is dead on with his comments about how good a Nu-foam element is. The down side was keeping the Nu-foam in place while it did it's thing. Well I think I have a solution that works for me. I made two “caps” that fit over the face of a stock air cleaner. When I change the oil filter, I swap the air cleaner. I gutted the paper core in my first filter and added a piece of two inch Nu-foam. The filter's screen holds on the intake side and an expanded metal cap holds the other. Cleaning a filter is as easy as removing the cap, dropping in fresh Nu-foam and putting the cap back on. The air box holds everything in place nicely. While one filter is in use I swap the element on the 2nd and it goes into a zip lock baggie until the next oil filter change.
The best part...I bought an office letter box made of expanded metal from goodwill for $4.00 that was big enough to make both caps. Tell me what you think!

You retain the factory engineered air box and get the benefit of a high performance  air filter. Thanks Oldfeller!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oldfeller's air cleaner revisited 'with pictur
Reply #1 - 09/11/09 at 02:15:40

I like the idea, but you may be bypassing the filter some now. Maybe some kinda silicone smeared into the edges of that cap where the filter frame is supposed to seal off to the air box?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/12/09 at 02:15:05

You have created a quick change containment feature for your filter element which is a good trick for you since you choose to change your element with every oil change.  

This change frequency isn't necessary as the Nu-Foam is good for over a year with Mazola oil and is likely good for quite a bit longer when using heavier gear oil.  But that's up to you since you built yours to be easy pop off and pop on so as to be able to do that.

To handle Justin's air leak and still keep all the quick change features you built into your filter, go to the window insulation area at Lowes and pick up some sticky backed thin black foam window sealer strip type stuff and add it to the air box so as to be there to seal your tapered back edge area that Justin is talking about.

Then you can have your cake and eat it too, with no leak potential to spoil your cake.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #3 - 09/12/09 at 08:57:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/11/09 at 02:15:40:
I like the idea, but you may be bypassing the filter some now. Maybe some kinda silicone smeared into the edges of that cap where the filter frame is supposed to seal off to the air box?

Bingo. I was thinking the same thing.  a bit of silicone to fill the holes in the mesh around the edges, then some weatherseal foam tape on top of that would make the edges airtight, plus the filter wouldn't stick to the airbox.. Voila! perfect filter.  Wish I'd thought of it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:26:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oldfeller's air cleaner revisited 'with pictures'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.