Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Im an idiot. Give me hope. (Read 224 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Im an idiot. Give me hope.
09/10/09 at 02:09:15

Checking on my mysterious oil loss and replacing my cam chain while im at it. Anyway...I didnt quite follow directions and am just about scared shytless.

When removing the camshaft sprocket you 1. LOOSEN (but dont remove bolt) 2. Rotate AND remove second bolt. 3 Rotate again and remove the first bolt you loosened, there by ensuring you remain at TDC.

I did this 1. Remove bolt. 2. Rotate and remove bolt.

Im now at TBC.

My question is this. So long as I keep the existing cam chain taught at the bottom I can rotate back to TDC and reinstall the camshaft with lobes down (indicator marks) and be good. Correct?

BTW I started this around midnight. Its 5am and Im probably not sleeping until I hear word from someone.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Im an idiot. Give me hope.
Reply #1 - 09/10/09 at 02:25:08

I don't know what your dilemma is (I have never had my cam chain off before), and I don't have my Clymers with me at work.
However, I do have Gregs CD.
There is a timing mark on the flywheel that lines up with a tip of metal by the alternator cover bolt hole closest to the starter gears when the piston is at TDC.
There is a line scribed on the end of the cam shaft (the gear end).  When that line is horizontal, and the dowel pin hole in the cam shaft gear is at about the 1:00 position, then the cam shaft is set for TDC.

Does that help?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/10/09 at 07:26:36

It doesn't matter that much, turn away.

However, when you put it back together...
As YG's said get the timing mark aligned on the crank at 3 o'clock and verify TDC, and check the piston.  Marks on the cams are in line with the case (mostly) and the pin at 1 o'clock.
Don't worry if the cam marks don't line up exactly, go to the next CCW position.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/11/09 at 10:48:15

BurnPgh wrote on 09/10/09 at 02:09:15:
BTW I started this around midnight. Its 5am and Im probably not sleeping until I hear word from someone.

Tell me you're not still sitting there,..... it'll give me some hope... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/11/09 at 10:56:41

Not still. Just again. On the up side i got the camchain and guides replaced. Cant find my oil leak yet. Valve seats are tight. Seals look good though i have taken the valves actually apart yet. There was a small leak around one headbolt and the headplug i fixed last winter aparenftly didnt stay fixed so I got the new style cap and fixed it again.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/11/09 at 11:02:06

BurnPgh wrote on 09/11/09 at 10:56:41:
and the headplug i fixed last winter aparenftly didnt stay fixed so I got the new style cap and fixed it again.

bet that was it.... Wink

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/11/09 at 11:35:29

I kind of hope not. I spent all the time and effort taking the freakin thing apart and a bunch of money on valve guides/seals and gaskets for everything.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/11/09 at 12:00:45

Well then,... for your sake, I hope it was one of those...   Grin

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/11/09 at 13:23:02

its whatever. So long as I can go more than a couple hundred miles before topping off the oil I'll be satisfied. Worst case scenario is I've got a bunch of parts for when something valve related does go wrong. Keep fingers crossed for me. First time I've been in this deep.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/12/09 at 09:42:08

There are indicator marks on both left and right ends of the crankshaft to tell TDC.
The one on the left is the mark at the three oclock position in the little observation hole in the sidecover.
On the right side, since you have the cover off anyway to do the job described, look on the end of the crankshaft for a center punch mark. When it is at  the six oclock position the crank is TDC.
Then position the cam so that the marks are in the three oclock and nine oclock position with both lobes below the mid point of the cam.
Bob's your uncle , it's on time.
Don't forget to bend up the retaining tabs on a NEW bolt lock.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Im an idiot. Give me hope.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.