Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch adjustment - friction point (Read 115 times)
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
clutch adjustment - friction point
09/04/09 at 17:20:36

I decided to adjust my clutch tonight because i felt like I was right on the edge of the clutch not fully engaging when i released the lever. I have some confusion about what adjusting at the handle does. If I loosen the locknut and unscrew the cable some, does that move the friction point towards me or away from me?

Anyways, I screwed the cable all the way in at the lever. I loosened the lock nut on the crankcase and turned the nuts so the cable went further down so the clutch arm would be lower when the lever was released. It's still higher than if the cable weren't there, but it's better. I tested it and I couldn't get the clutch to fully engage so i then did some adjusting at the grip. I unscrewed the cable a bit and now it seems to be better. My friction point is at about 50% lever pull, i get no power to the wheel with the lever pulled all the way in, and from what I can tell, i get no clutch slippage. Under heavy load the clutch starts to slip when i pull the lever in a few mm.

Does this sound good? I know its hard to describe these things over the net. I'm heading on a ride tomorrow and am going to bring some pliers with me just in case I need to make some adjustments on the road. Also, say I am not getting full engagement of the clutch, will going riding like that do any damage?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: clutch adjustment - friction point
Reply #1 - 09/04/09 at 17:30:36

with minimal input from you(1) these are some basic #s
"at the lever 3mm(.12")    adjust at the lock nuts and adjuster b4 the cable goes into the engine..
fine tuning is done at the lever..
lube cable with motor oil" PER SSM
if this doesnt work post again cause youll have to get into the clutch itself.

(1)age of bike, miles on od new owner,previous owner...etc

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #2 - 09/04/09 at 17:50:03

Sorry, 2006 w/9k miles (6.5k of those are mine). Sounds like I should be good to go. Thanks for the #s

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/04/09 at 19:29:17

did u get it right?
at 13K (almost) never had to adjust my 06....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/04/09 at 21:51:04

take a look at the cable itself by the hand lever and the lever on the case. I too suddenly felt as if i should adjust my clutch and quickly realized the my cable was just about to snap. It was hanging on by 1-2 wires out of...8 i think, that make up the cable. Its is NO FUN trying to ride with a broken clutch cable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/05/09 at 00:20:18

Which end is giving up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cowspotter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ashburn, VA
Reply #6 - 09/05/09 at 03:07:55

I don't think the cable is going bad. There's been no change recently with the clutch, just something that had been nagging me since I bought the bike and I finally decided to try to do something about it last night.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/05/09 at 09:55:49

The end on the engine is like the coarse adjustment, the end on the bar is the fine tuning. With a new cable, Id screw the adjuster on the clutch lever end all the way in & adjust the bottom end to give some slack in the lever. After that, you'll be able to adjust the cable on the handlebar end & not have the adjuster stretched out to its capacity, unless the cable stretches wildly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 17:23:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch adjustment - friction point

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.