Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Oil level (Read 551 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Oil level
09/01/09 at 14:14:56

Does anyone know about how much oil is needed to fill from the low line to the high? It seems to take quite a lot, but I don't want to overfill it. If I add a litttle at a time, it seems to take forever to flow down.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil level
Reply #1 - 09/01/09 at 14:25:19

Shouldnt take any time at all to see the effects of what you just added. It goes thru the hole & bounces off a small L shaped baffle & its in the crankcase.

I have a 3 oz bottle that came with the weedeater. Its a 4 stroke.
It makes a clear difference in the oil level in the window, but Ive not measure the amount of oil needed to get from low to full.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/01/09 at 14:26:52

I'm only guessing put it seems to take about 1/2 quart from one line to the other.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - 09/01/09 at 15:11:01

I thought about a half qt. also, but wasn't sure. I like the 3 oz idea. Also didn't know how much it had to go thru to get to the bottom. The reason I ask is that I had to suck some oil back out once, pain!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/01/09 at 15:37:17

Oldnewguy wrote on 09/01/09 at 15:11:01:
I thought about a half qt. also, but wasn't sure. I like the 3 oz idea. Also didn't know how much it had to go thru to get to the bottom. The reason I ask is that I had to suck some oil back out once, pain!

Open timing port and tip it over next time.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #5 - 09/01/09 at 15:50:45

That sounds like a capital idea, but if you will look at my bike, it's a trike! I found a 60cc syringe and some tubing at work. It isn't hard once you get the hang of it.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 16:31:49

how about a big pic of the trike?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/01/09 at 18:45:51

I swear, some day Im gonna remember to cut a couple of grooves in the first 1/2" or so of the threads on the drain plug. If I do get too much in, I can back it out till the oil drains slowly out the grooves & not worry about it popping all the way out & draining the crankcase completely.
If ya do that, make sure you clean those threads up, best to put a nut on & back it off & chase the threads, or use a die, or a thread file,,wouldnt want to screw up the threads on the engine. Or stick metal bits in..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/01/09 at 21:49:08

Does anyone know that over filling is a problem ? When I bought mine, the oil was 1/2 way between the lines when setting on the sidestand. It didn't seem to be hurting anything. I didn't even know it was too full till I read the "how to check oil" thread on this forum. And it must have been that way for a while because the oil was a bit dark when I changed it.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/01/09 at 22:02:21

Routy wrote on 09/01/09 at 21:49:08:
Does anyone know that over filling is a problem ? When I bought mine, the oil was 1/2 way between the lines when setting on the sidestand. It didn't seem to be hurting anything. I didn't even know it was too full till I read the "how to check oil" thread on this forum. And it must have been that way for a while because the oil was a bit dark when I changed it.
Rich

It's not really a problem unless you have one.  It may cause weak seals to pop or leak.  But that in conjunction with another problem.  Internally, may cause foaming, which leads to bubbles in the oil stream, which leads to advanced wear in the journals and bearings.
A little too much oil is better than no oil.

WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/01/09 at 22:02:37

Routy,
I have been told all my life (and read in manuals) that overfilling any internal combustion engine can cause foaming of the oil because of oil being "whipped" by rod caps, crank, etc. Foaming oil is not pumped effeciently, and causes a shortage of oil to the parts. Plus your air filter and air box may get soaked in oil.
Boofer

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 09/02/09 at 05:10:25

Here's a pic of the "trike" except it is not a true 3 wheeler. The back wheel is still on. I chose this way because I am 68 and this is my first bike. At my age I do not want to hit the ground!

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #12 - 09/02/09 at 05:14:30

I'll try this again, smaller I hope.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/02/09 at 05:35:47

If you right click and vue imagine it comes out smaller

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #14 - 09/02/09 at 05:37:15

Oldnewgoy
Your trike looks great. Who was the manufacturer of your trike kit. This maybe my next modification.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.