Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Oil level (Read 551 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Re: Oil level
Reply #15 - 09/02/09 at 05:54:43

That's a Voyager. Can see them online with a video. Cost is about 4K plus 200-250 for install. You can install it yourself, but I chose not to cause I didn't have a facility at the time. There are dealers all over the country i think. They are out of IL. mtcvoyager.com Tel. # 877-434-7901. They will send you a DVD. I'm lovin' mine especially with the backrest for my arthur itis.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #16 - 09/02/09 at 06:28:24

Back to the oil level thing. I have 3 different bottles of engine stuff that are 12 oz and have long necks. If i can find one with the little window thingey in the back, that would be more super. I'm going to carry one full of oil and the long neck will negate the need for a funnel. Thanks for the ideas!

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/02/09 at 06:55:42

Before you get all tied up in your mind over over oiling a wee bit, crank your bike up and let it idle while looking at the oil window in the upright position.

Hey, lookie !! -- a good bit of your oil goes into circulation (oil pump, galleries, tranny shafts, head, coating gears etc) so your window oil level drops a good bit when the engine is actually running.

Shut it down with the kill switch and immediately look in the window for signs of foaming as the oil level rises back up in the window.  Foam rises to the top of the oil mass, and would be visible at the window oil line if it was present.  

Foam not there, then don't worry about it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 09/02/09 at 07:09:00

I know that by design, some engines can be critical to over oiling, but from what I saw on mine, this 650 is not one of them.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #19 - 09/02/09 at 07:09:35

Got it! Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #20 - 09/02/09 at 07:10:32

Both of you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 09/02/09 at 09:57:22

That 3 Oz bottle has a screw on nozzle, like a tube of silicone. A silicone tube nozzle screws onto  the plastic tight enough that it doesnt leak. I fill it, wrap it in a rag & drop it in the bag. If I get low on oil, 3 OZ is enough to make it plenty happy for the trip home.
Whats that? I see a hand up? Ohh Yes.. Whats your question?

Mr Justin, where can I get ME one of them cute & ever so functional bottles like YOU have?

Well, I got mine in the box when I got the Craftsman 4 stroke weedeater. They dont sell them off the shelf, BUT, when this one craps out Im gonna look at a 2 stroke oil bottle. In the Chainsaw Oil department there are 4 Oz bottles & I hope my nozzle tip will screw on that. Keep an eye out for a bottle with a nozzle tip. No funnel needed that way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #22 - 09/02/09 at 10:12:02

How about a shampoo bottle with a "press-to-open" top?  You could either clean out the shampoo and put some oil in the bottle, OR the cap might screw right on to the 3 oz oil bottle.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #23 - 09/02/09 at 10:55:21

serenity3743 wrote on 09/02/09 at 10:12:02:
How about a shampoo bottle with a "press-to-open" top?  You could either clean out the shampoo and put some oil in the bottle, OR the cap might screw right on to the 3 oz oil bottle.

Now THAT's a GOOD idea !!!  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #24 - 09/02/09 at 12:58:55

mpescatori wrote on 09/02/09 at 10:55:21:

Now THAT's a GOOD idea !!!  Cool

Yeah, I think it's a good idea.  I can just squirt the oil into the oil fill hole even without a funnel.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #25 - 09/02/09 at 13:35:34

Actually you can buy the small travel size empty bottles at Wally World which should work really well for tossing in the saddlebags like this  Grin

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 09/02/09 at 14:28:04

Am I haluctinating, or are we really talking about carrying motor oil in a saddle bag ? How much oil are these engines burning that would make you even think of carrying oil in a bag ? If mine was ever to start burning 3 oz of oil in less than a few thousand miles, it would be in the shop finding out why ! How much oil could they burn before you's would consider them completely worn out ? You're all scaring me now.
Maybe I missed something along the way   Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #27 - 09/02/09 at 14:45:24

I originally asked the question because my bike seems to need oil at times and I do not keep it at the high mark, just in between low and high. Sometimes she seems to use a little more like on hot days and hilly conditions. So my question was to find out approximately how much to add at the low mark to bring it to the high mark. The real problem to me is the fact that you can't just stop at any store and pick up motorcycle oil. I tend to ride in very rural areas and there are few places to buy MC oil.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 09/02/09 at 16:15:57

I thought that was the reason for the 2 lines,....to work inbetween them,......w/ probably at least 8 ozs difference between them. I really wouldn't know any reason to not run on the top line,....kinda like running "full" on a dipstick ?

But there is one thing that I know for sure, if I ever got in a tight spot,....like an oil leak etc etc, and I needed to buy oil, oil would be oil, .....there would be no thoughts of "MC " oil,.....if there is really such thing anyway Roll Eyes

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #29 - 09/02/09 at 17:28:49

You are probably right on that count, but I was told that running auto oil was not good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 19:30:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.