Bicycle tripometer (Read 196 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Bicycle tripometer
08/30/09 at 21:58:04

Could someone give me the make/model of a basic bicycle speedo that mite be easiest to mount on these bikes ?

Thanks for any replies.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Bicycle tripometer
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 02:56:52

Probably any of the wireless ones would work well, or might not because of electrical interference

You get a magnet that screws onto a spoke and a transmitter that zip-ties to the fork.  You'll probably need to get longer ties.  

There's also the receiver that clamps onto a round handlebar easily.  

The non-wireless would also have a wire to snake along the fork to the handlebars with enough slack that it doesn't break from the suspension action or steering, but no so much slack that it breaks from catching on something.  Rumor has is that following the brake cable works well.

Oh yeah, you don't need to pay extra for any special features like cadence or heart monitoring unless you're using your Savage as a moped!

« Last Edit: 08/31/09 at 09:55:22 by drharveys - FSO »  

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 04:35:42

drharveys - FSO wrote on 08/31/09 at 02:56:52:
Probably any of the wireless ones would work well.

Actually Dr, Gary on a Savage tried a wireless and due to engine/electrical interference, it did not work.

Please see this thread for some helpful info on the bicycle tripometer...

HTH!  Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246300064/0

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 04:43:34

My wireless didn't work.  A cheapie Schwinn from WalMart, rare earth magnet on brake rotor w/final position fixed by superglue, wire snaked up the brake cable.  Works very well!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 05:45:05

Thanks a bunch guys. It seems to me like the larger spokes is what can be the hardest to adapt, but I'll try the WM Swin, then get different magnet if need be.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/31/09 at 05:57:54

I've got a Cateye Velo 5. Works great.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 08/31/09 at 08:05:00

Good to hear the cat eye ones work too. I have a Sigma and it works great. I epoxied the sensor under the front fender and have a small strong magnet in the tire tim. For the trip meter alone, its worth every penny.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 08/31/09 at 09:56:54

False Illusion wrote on 08/31/09 at 04:35:42:
drharveys - FSO wrote on 08/31/09 at 02:56:52:
Probably any of the wireless ones would work well.

Actually Dr, Gary on a Savage tried a wireless and due to engine/electrical interference, it did not work.

Please see this thread for some helpful info on the bicycle tripometer...

HTH!  Smiley

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1246300064/0

I, as well as my earlier post, stand, as we so often do, corrected!   Grin

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #8 - 08/31/09 at 12:29:51

Mine only keeps up to about 65 and then it cuts out, its the wallmart schwin one. Does anyone else have this problem?

Heres a pick of how i installed the magnet!
http://2001827571079766070-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/sit...

WWW   IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #9 - 08/31/09 at 12:43:31

I have had two diffrent Wal-mart purchased Swin speedo's. Both have worked perfect as a odometer. I only bought a second one because it said it had a back light on it so I could read it at night. It did'nt tell me that you have to hit the button and it only stays lit-up for 30 seconds or so. The first and cheaper one was better at reading speeds over 60 but both always say 100 miles when I run out of gas.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/31/09 at 18:21:56

My Schwinn with rare earth magnets works up to 70 mph.  Haven't tested it above that, but no sign of not working.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/31/09 at 18:36:54

I bought this one today, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10400636 Only I got it at Bi Mart for 2 bucks cheaper.
It works superbly ! The magnet fits on the spoke just fine. I had to make a fork adapter that bolts to the fender mount bolts. And the wire was too short to mount on the handle bar, so I mounted it on the turn signal, which works great and doesn't look bad either.

Thanks for all the info.

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 08/31/09 at 20:17:22

OK, photo time!

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #13 - 09/01/09 at 16:22:16

It's been working great for 12kmiles. Velcro mounted on top of Suzie emblem.
Bend an aluminum strip in an S, popriveted the pickup-unit. Notice the tiny earthmagnet (radio-shack)on the disk which is NOT glued on, but you have to be carefull not to knock it off when cleaning. Wire is nytied to brake-line.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/01/09 at 19:33:15

Routy wrote on 08/31/09 at 18:36:54:
I bought this one today, http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10400636 Only I got it at Bi Mart for 2 bucks cheaper.
It works superbly ! The magnet fits on the spoke just fine. I had to make a fork adapter that bolts to the fender mount bolts. And the wire was too short to mount on the handle bar, so I mounted it on the turn signal, which works great and doesn't look bad either.

Thanks for all the info.

Rich

Did you spot this comment on the product?

Let me say that this is a LOT of cyclometer for the money, and stylish too! It was very easy to install, and the setup instructions were good, except for one error. When you get to page 6, it instructs you to press and hold both left AND right buttons to reset the "TRIP METER" (DST), when you should ONLY be pressing and holding the LEFT button. Doing as they tell you to, will erase all your settings, and cause you to have to go through the entire process of entering all the values (tire diameter, age, weight, km or mi, etc.) again. It happened to me twice! Other than that one mistake in the instructions, I am quite happy with this purchase.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bicycle tripometer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.