MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: DARKSIDE TIRES
Reply #30 - 09/01/09 at 19:16:14

I admit it.

My Dunlap 404 only lasted 6,000 miles or so.

I must be an abuser too.   I'm trying to do better.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 09/01/09 at 19:25:14

My Dunlop 404 lasted about 6,000 too. I didnt even realize how tired it is toll a few days ago. Not quite shot, but it wont pass inspection, thats fer sure,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/01/09 at 23:13:21

6k seems abotu right for the 404's. Got my bike with 404's at 9k mi. At 15k mi it was at or very near replacement time.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #33 - 09/02/09 at 02:22:29

Even on my Kawi, the 404 only lasted 6k.  I put metz's on and will go darkside at next tire change.

www.TIRERACK.com is the place, boy and girls

Because I can!
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #34 - 09/02/09 at 02:42:23

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/01/09 at 07:18:12:
I theorize that people who can get 10,000 on a stock IRC must not 1) accelerate very hard or 2) use their brakes very much.  

I bet their clutches and brake pads last forever too.

We need to start a new sub-club "Tire Abusers Anonymous" and we'll get old "smoke 'um if you got 'um"  Sluggo to chair the meetings.

"My name is Kelly, and I am a tire abuser"

Well, I'm not up to 10,000 but I have passed 7,000.  I did however have to replace the front brake pads, they were well and truly shot.  I try to go easy on the rear, simply because the front looks so much easier to replace! Cheesy  And I'm not exactly easy on the acceleration always, but I guess I've never broke it loose either, so eh... Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #35 - 09/02/09 at 10:04:00

Since I am about to go buy a tire, Id sure like some suggestions on which one. The guys with the experience? Yea, Id like to hear recommendations. I want a tall tire, I weigh about 160, keep the shocks on the stiffest setting. I use it to haul groceries & or beer & occasionally make a corner close enough to "Right" to actually feel the G forces drive me firmly onto the seat. But, I dont expect I am actually compressing the shocks 1/2"

Swapping bolts is no problem.If recommended, Ill do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 09/02/09 at 12:05:54

Ol' Barry Blowup done taught me my lesson about recommending tire stuff to anybody as the skill levels of individuals varies greatly.  You are doing this at your own risk.

However, I can tell you what to avoid -- do not go any bigger than 155-80r15.  

The reasons are many, but the ones that stick out the most is that bigger than that won't fit without excess amount of work removing bolt heads, etc.   It also aggravates the potential issues with rumba and other excessive tire size high speed running issues.   Just don't go there and simply avoid those hassles.

No one has reported high speed running issues with 155 or smaller tires -- no one.  That cannot be said for the 165 tire size and up.

Next, watch your back when wrasslin' it on (them slipped spoons can hurt when they smack you) and don't go over 90 psi when popping the bead.  Use a fresh inner tube (it is gonna be on there 4-5 years so you don't want to have to put up with a sorry leaky tube the whole time).

Take the time to tune your spokes to get your wheel/rim round and true again after tire assembly and inflation and DO REMEMBER to weight balance the assembled tire/wheel.

Don't go over 35 lbs of running air pressure.   Don't go less than 30 lbs unless you are experimenting on purpose as a soft mushy rear tire rides quite differently from a 30-35 psi tire.  

Jack your rear shock preload up to the highest preload position to maximize your bump clearance.

Remember, riding the tire the first time can result in conflicts between what you had in your "internal ride balance computer" stored in your primitive brain stem and the new reality.   Your bike will run and handle slightly differently.  

It can take a week or so to reprogram yourself and regain confidence.   Carry spare underwear with you during this period of time as your old programming will cause your sphincter to malfunction unnecessarily several times going over bumps, etc.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #37 - 09/02/09 at 20:24:35

I wouldnt consider it a recommendation, just another to consider, what are you running again?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 09/03/09 at 01:43:15

Ats awwrite OF, I really dont think Id want a wider tire than necessary, Taller, yea, if it wouldnt cause clearance issues.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #39 - 09/03/09 at 08:03:49

Why do we call car tires "Darksides"?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #40 - 09/03/09 at 10:38:47

serenity3743 wrote on 09/03/09 at 08:03:49:
Why do we call car tires "Darksides"?

I really don't want to ask how old you are.. but..  may the force be with you.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #41 - 09/03/09 at 13:17:49

I'm plenty old enough, but have not been much of a Star Wars fan.  Do I have to watch all the movies to find the hidden meaning?

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #42 - 09/03/09 at 14:12:06

Not really any hidden meaning.  "Going to the Darkside" on anything pretty much means the same thing as "leaving the beaten path", but with "evil" overtones.  Using car tires on motorcycle isn't considered to be "normal", and using them could be construed as "evil" (or at least non-comformist) and, therefore, they are Darkside tires.

That was a lame explanation.. but I tried!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 09/03/09 at 14:24:48

Plus apparently once you go over to car tires you tend not to go back to normal tires.

Part of this is waiting and waiting and waiting for that first darkside tire to wear out ....

(I'm still waiting and it isn't half worn out yet  ....  )

==============

Master Yoda, when will I be a Jedi Knight?

Patience, young paduwan -- you must first wear out your rear tire.

Master, how long did it take you to do that?

Huh (gumble-mumble-grumble),  I was a youth like you when I started -- middle aged was I when I completed the task.   A cam chain adjuster, one cam chain and three sets of front pads was I trying to wear out that first tire.  

How long was that in years, master?

Long it was, a third of my lifetime it took.

Master, how old are you now?

374 years old.

*** !!!?!

Aaaauuuugh !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #44 - 09/04/09 at 04:49:32

Thank you for the explanations!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DARKSIDE TIRES

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.