Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Saddlemen bags, what do you think? (Read 346 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
New Saddlemen bags, what do you think?
10/25/09 at 06:45:45

Had recently ordered some new Saddlemen saddlebags for my husbands C90 from Dennis Kirk, and they sent me an email about some clearance items.  Surprisingly, they had a set of Saddlemen's for my S40 on clearance for $37 bucks (originally $150.99).  I was shocked.  Couldn't pass them up after seeing the quality of the ones we bought for the C90, and what a price! I found them for close to $200 at other places.  I debated between the medium and large sizes.  They showed the S40 on the fitment guide for the large, and I was afraid they'd be too big, but went with the large anyway (the medium was around $28).  They actually went on easily too, and I didn't even have to cut the yoke to go around the rectifier.  It fit right behind it.  It would be difficult to carry a passenger with these bags, but I don't do that anyway.  

Oh, I also got a $100 luggage rack for the hubby's C90 for $25!!  Its Hard Krome and very heavy and nice.  Another shocker.  Feel like I got great deals.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: New Saddlemen bags, what do you think?
Reply #1 - 10/25/09 at 06:56:10

Looks good we seen the back of you what about the front.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/25/09 at 07:11:39

that's my good side, bill

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 10/25/09 at 07:47:09

Very nice deals indeed.  I especially like DK's ebay clearance store ... lots of good stuff there.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/25/09 at 08:59:41

Very sweet deals there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #5 - 10/25/09 at 21:23:30

Nice bags. What's the story on the backrest?

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/26/09 at 04:38:56

savagedml wrote on 10/25/09 at 21:23:30:
Nice bags. What's the story on the backrest?

'''Yea, & Just WHERE are ya hiding it in the top pic?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #7 - 10/26/09 at 07:53:58

backrest!

Inquiring minds want to know!!!  I would love to have one. Smiley

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #8 - 10/26/09 at 08:33:04

That looks like a protac to me, I've got one. Makes a big difference too.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 10/26/09 at 09:23:37

I don't really know what the backrest is.  And in the first pic, its hidden under my shirt!.... nah, actually, I had to take it off while installing the bags, so I was just holding the bike up straight so we could see if the bags were level and the right height.  Hubby took a pic so I could see what they looked like from behind.  

Here's a little better shot of the backrest (before new bags).  I haven't seen any markings on it, so I don't know who makes it.  It is pretty comfortable and helps on longer trips.  I'll look this evening and see if I can find any brand, numbers or markings.  Its easy to take off and put back on, as it just slips (tightly) down into brackets.

IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #10 - 10/26/09 at 11:44:36

Good Pic of the brackts and what they are bolted to sure would be nice. and I feel another mod is going to happen.... then I can do away with the passenger seat and expand the Flat bed for more stuff haulin

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 10/26/09 at 12:07:30

Here's a cutout from one pic I had from the day I brought it home while I had the backrest off.  If its not clear enough, I can take more this evening, just let me know.  I believe the bolt is through one of the existing holes... I don't think any new holes were drilled to mount it.  (it was on when I bought the bike)

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #12 - 10/26/09 at 12:10:04

+1  on pictures of the backrest & brackets. I already started making one that I planned to use the front 2 fender strut bolts to retain.

And tell hubby to relocate your turn signals to the license plate bracket so your bags don't rub on the shocks. Those are nice looking bags.

A piece of 1/2" emt, stretched on each end by putting a soccket in the end & stretching with a little hammer work. A few holes drilled with a uni-bit & the stock turn signals slide right in. bolt it to the rear with your license bolts. Run the wirng along side the taillight wires, thru the existing hole, & make short extensions for the wires. It will give you room to slide the bags back off of your shocks. If the s40 turn sig. stems are the same size as savage.

Please ignore the rust, she's currently undergoing a makeover. Huh

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 10/26/09 at 12:18:25

Great picture & different idea from mine. I'm thinking of extending the 2 front bolts ghost bracket style & having the backrest slide down over them & lock in place. Then when you remove it all that shows are the bolts that stick out about 1/4" more than stock.

Yours would be much simpler to make, I may change my plan.
                                                         THANKS! Smiley

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 10/26/09 at 12:18:56

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/26/09 at 12:10:04:
+1  on pictures of the backrest & brackets. I already started making one that I planned to use the front 2 fender strut bolts to retain.

And tell hubby to relocate your turn signals to the license plate bracket so your bags don't rub on the shocks. Those are nice looking bags.

I'll take some better pictures this evening of the backrest and brackets.

I do want to relocate my signals!  Have wanted to since day 1, just haven't gotten there yet.  I actually never liked the stock signals and intended to find something different and relocate at the same time.  The new bags give me good reason to do it now, so thanks for that nudge.  That will be some winter tinkering, I'm sure.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Saddlemen bags, what do you think?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.