prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Ear Plugs?
08/28/09 at 10:55:33

In the lovely picture of Lancer we see his earplugs dangeling nicely around his neck.

I got to thinking, does anyone wear earplugs when they ride?  I don't because I always figured I wanted to hear everything that was going on around me.

But, I do have some hearing loss and am careful to wear earplugs whenever I am around loud noises.  The dr asked me if I had ever been around loud noises.  I asked him is lawn mowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, shotgus, rifles, pistols, outboard motors, etc counted.  He said, they all counted, so I told him I had.

My question, do I need to wear earplugs when riding the motorcycle?  What about hearing traffic and other dangers?  What about hearing the bike itself?

Thanks for any input.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Re: Ear Plugs?
Reply #1 - 08/28/09 at 10:58:07

I allways wear earplugs around all that equipment. even when riding with a fullface helmet and still hear plenty

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/28/09 at 11:41:36

YOU GUYS DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' EAR PROTECTION! I  NEVER USED ANY AND I'VE SHOT GUNS AND LISTENED TO LOUD MUSIC ALL MY LIFE. HOLD ON A MINUTE, THE DOORBELL'S RINGING AGAIN. JUST LIKE BEFORE, NOBODY WAS THERE.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/28/09 at 11:44:26

Boofer, that was hilarious.

I wear em when I hit the big road, but if Im just running around town, I dont. I know I should. My ears ring 24/7 from the damage Ive done, working on drilling rigs, shooting, playing with fireworks, & on & on..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #4 - 08/28/09 at 11:57:04

WHAT DID YOU SAY?  Grin

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/28/09 at 12:51:34

Guys put on loud mufflers then use ear plugs  Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 08/28/09 at 13:06:24

I use them when on the Hiway.I can still hear what's around me but the DB level is reduced.

I like Lancers idea of the plugs in a string. I keep loosing mine. Good thing the company keeps a stash in the shop.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/28/09 at 13:11:34

The primary noise maker is wind.  At least the really loud and harmful.  On the local 45 mph tops roads, no.  Unless I'm going to be out for a long time with some fast bits.  Then it's more comfortable.  For even short trips on the highway, I use either good quality foam plugs or custom fit plugs, depending on which box I can find!  I can hear much better overall with the plugs, including the engine and cars.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/28/09 at 13:26:55

Sporting goods stores have plugs with little soft rings & on a string. Really better than the Crush & stuff em in type.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #9 - 08/28/09 at 13:55:11

Due to playing in R&R bands cranked to 11 ...(and some times louder! Shocked Shocked) back in the day, I have suffered from mild hearing loss.

I do wear them on trips that require speeds over 35mph for moderate to long distances.

Wind noise is the main reason.

It is not super loud..BUT...it is a constant decibel that over several miles will wear on the drums.

As for hearing sirens and horns, not a problem.

The style I use are the spongy roll and insert deals...like Hearos.

« Last Edit: 08/28/09 at 15:43:47 by False Illusion »  

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 08/28/09 at 14:00:44

I tried them once,... but I couldn't hear with them... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #11 - 08/28/09 at 15:28:43

Almost always use 'em -- local run to the grocery store, maybe not.  Always if expressway is anticipated.

Yup, it's the wind noise -- and the full face and flip up helmets are actually the worst because of the sharp edge at the bottom.

And, yeah, when it's quiet I can hear "crickets", even in the winter.  Curiously enough, since the earplugs cut out so much outside noise, the crickets increase in apparent volume when I pop 'em in!    Cheesy

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/28/09 at 15:37:01

Wind noise on a very high speed run wearing a beanie helmet requires the use of plugs.

It is apparently very hot and tiring on an old guy's body, too.   Both Lancer and Toymaker were all tuckered out and panting for water when we caught up to them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 08/28/09 at 16:49:19

If you win the lottery, check out Westone Lab's musician's ear plugs; they are custom fitted and you can orderdefferent dB levels of noise reduction..they really work well and allow you to hear fairly normally, both while you ride and (after)>call your local audiologist, they cant set you up.  Cost is high- a little ovr $100.00 ifI remember correctly, but it is a superior product..

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/28/09 at 17:00:13

This is new to me I never heard of wearing ear plugs on a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ear Plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.