Ear Plugs? (Read 627 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Ear Plugs?
Reply #45 - 09/11/09 at 21:06:00

The EPA regs give hrs of noise exposure to decibel dbA noise  safety levels that shouldn't be exceeded.  Wind noise at speed is above 80dBA.  Everytime you assualt your ears with loud noise, you'll get a temporary threshold shift, usually but not always at about 4-6thousand Hz.  This, anatomically, is the first turn in the basil (bottom end) the organ of hearing.  This first turn get most of the energy hit, the system stifffens up and the hair cells die off (over time).  Thus like the cycles of tidal water, the temporary threshold shift recovers after a while, but not to quite as good as it was.  Slowly, so that you don't notice it, the higher frequencies drop off..meaning you can't hear /s/, /th/ the differrence between /t/ and /d/, /s/ or /v/.  Thus the funny situation..did he say cat or cap? Was that dog or dogs (losing the plural marker /s/).  Ear plugs slow down this assault, please use them cause hearing aids cost thousands you could spend on motorcycles. Cheesy  The ringing is tinnitus, made worse by  any blod flow restrictors such as nicotine, caffeine and stress.  At least now I don't have to spend thousands for a top end stereo system. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 09/12/09 at 09:36:04

made worse by  any blood flow restrictors such as nicotine, caffeine and stress.

This explains why my ears scream when someone is choking me,,
I have tinnitus 24/7, sometimes so loud it interferes with sleep.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #47 - 09/12/09 at 11:34:45

Not just blood flow restrictors. Aspirin is another culprit, frequently prescribed long-term in large doses for arthritis and small doses for its blood thinning (anti-coagulant) property. Aspirin can cause or aggravate tinnitus. I probably had incipient tinnitus, and a long-term aspirin treatment brought it to the fore. It lessened when I stopped the aspirin, but it has never gone completely away.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:23:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ear Plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.