Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ear Plugs? (Read 627 times)
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Re: Ear Plugs?
Reply #30 - 08/31/09 at 18:48:47

I use the rubberized reusable earplugs, the kind with the string connecting both together.  I had some trouble with having the full face helmet, that when I put it on it loosened the earplugs as it slid over my head.  I cut about 1/8" off the "stem" of each earplug (there goes the string connector in the process), now they still insert and remove easily, and the stem doesnt stick out too far.
Cost a few bucks at Home Depot to get them, been using them for about a year.  Takes less than 10 seconds to put them in.

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #31 - 08/31/09 at 18:51:40

Pabst 2006 wrote on 08/31/09 at 18:48:47:
I use the rubberized reusable earplugs, the kind with the string connecting both together.  I had some trouble with having the full face helmet, that when I put it on it loosened the earplugs as it slid over my head.  I cut about 1/8" off the "stem" of each earplug (there goes the string connector in the process), now they still insert and remove easily, and the stem doesnt stick out too far.
Cost a few bucks at Home Depot to get them, been using them for about a year.  Takes less than 10 seconds to put them in.

I like that kind better too.  SOmetimes the string pulls out, but it goes back in.  Maybe you could try that, I'm not sure how far in the string goes.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 08/31/09 at 22:04:09

Precher, You got something started talking about hearing protection. The fact is a lot of people on here are in their 50s and have spent years around loud machinery, firearms, and music. I have a "blank spot" in both ears at a certain frequency. I will (thanks to you) remember to wear earplugs when I ride. I like the E A R brand that look like a cylinder and are not tapered. They actually help me hear people better than without when there is background noise. I think they have a Noise Reduction Ratio of around 29. That's better than my Remington shooter's headset earmuffs. We are a little deaf, a little stiff, and may not look like much, but we ride. Young guys, take care of yourself. Boofer

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #33 - 09/01/09 at 03:29:45

qn7qcw7 wrote on 08/31/09 at 22:04:09:
We are a little deaf, a little stiff, and may not look like much, but we ride. Young guys, take care of yourself. Boofer  

That is certainly the truth.  Honestly, ear plugs were just not something I had ever thought about.  I guess I thought the helmet would provide all the protection I needed for my head and my ears.  But since I tried the plugs once, I can tell a diference.  

It is amazing when I mow and take the plugs out how much better I can hear right then, not having listened to the mower and weedwhacker for that hour or two.  

I may be slow, but eventually I learn the lesson.  I try to tell my kids and wife they need to use ear protection for the mower, etc but they do not want to listen.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #34 - 09/01/09 at 04:57:42

I have never worn them,I like engine noise,that's why I never have the radio on in my car.  Although with my last wife I could have used them.
Did the US army offer ear plugs to soldiers?
I know we never had them when I was in,and I was inside a tank firing that bloody great gun.
And yes I am a little hard of hearing now,that's why I have loud pipes.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 09/01/09 at 05:02:28

When I was in,in 1962 our ear plugs were cigarette filters,My left ear has been ringing ever since the rifle range.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #36 - 09/01/09 at 06:03:25

mick wrote on 09/01/09 at 04:57:42:
Did the US army offer ear plugs to soldiers?

They did for the firing range when I was in -- and the Air Force is very generous with 'em for anyone near the flight line!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #37 - 09/01/09 at 09:21:04

I use the radians jelli plugs. They solved all my problems when riding with a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet.

They block wind noise, they reduce ambient noise, they do not reduce all sounds too much (what I found with the standard yellow EAR plugs). FWIW, they are useless for protecting my ears from my Browning 12GA.

I bought three more pairs on ebay for the wife and backup pairs for both of us. You can leave the shoestring attached or pull it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOFT-CORDED-JELLI-EAR-PLUGS-NOISE-MUFFS-IN-BOX-2-PAIR_W0Q...

This is not an endorsement of any ebay seller, just an example of item and price. Do your own shopping!

VHFKID

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #38 - 09/02/09 at 03:16:58

I always snag a handfull from work every couple weeks, the foam roll-up kind.  As stated, a must with a half helmet on the highway, and definitely helpful in a full helmet for longer rides.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #39 - 09/10/09 at 13:37:00

I worked with ammo/explosives in Iraq and worked right near the flight line, surrounded by diesel generators and riding in vehicles where you have to shout to talk to the guy next to you.  Now I have to use closed captioning when I watch movies.  And there's that constant pinging...

Yeah, they issue us some pretty nifty earplugs now, but they get lost and you don't want to wear them all day everyday for a whole tour.  Course, now I think maybe I should have.

I use the little orange foam ones for highway riding- discovered this on my 1,200 mile ride this summer:  cutting down on wind noise lets you relax more, focus on the road, and reduces fatigue significantly!  

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 09/10/09 at 17:42:50

Thanks for your service.   Boofer

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 09/10/09 at 18:23:40

I've got scads of different plugs.  And I find I'm mostly using the yellow squishies!  I can really hear the bike better and I stay rested, as Hard Corps noted.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Reply #42 - 09/11/09 at 18:18:15

Webbikeworld has a number of reviews on ear plugs, different ear size and shapes, etc.

The folks there evidently prefer the disposible cheapies the best.

I need to get some for myself. Though I honestly hate putting stuff in my ears, I'm also pretty sure I would hate losing my hearing even more...

1998 Savage, Aztec Orange (so the rescue crew can find me, if I get lost at sea).
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #43 - 09/11/09 at 18:40:53

I have been using earplugs while riding motorcycles for probably fifteen years, and wish I had started sooner. When I first enlisted in the Air Force they didn't issue earplugs in Basic where we used the M1 Carbine outdoors. Some years later when I was required to qualify on the M16 - on a covered firing range - they offered earplugs. Being young and dumb I didn't think I needed them. Until I fired the first shots, and then I went for the earplugs. In Vietnam they didn't issue earplugs to passengers, but did for aircrews. Later, they were issuing earplugs to passengers too. I use earplugs for mowing and chainsawing, too. Unfortunately, the ringing in my ears will never go away. You young guys, especially, start protecting your hearing NOW. Once it goes, it never returns.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #44 - 09/11/09 at 19:25:02

Charon wrote on 09/11/09 at 18:40:53:
I have been using earplugs while riding motorcycles for probably fifteen years, and wish I had started sooner. When I first enlisted in the Air Force they didn't issue earplugs in Basic where we used the M1 Carbine outdoors. Some years later when I was required to qualify on the M16 - on a covered firing range - they offered earplugs. Being young and dumb I didn't think I needed them. Until I fired the first shots, and then I went for the earplugs. In Vietnam they didn't issue earplugs to passengers, but did for aircrews. Later, they were issuing earplugs to passengers too. I use earplugs for mowing and chainsawing, too. Unfortunately, the ringing in my ears will never go away. You young guys, especially, start protecting your hearing NOW. Once it goes, it never returns.

Charon is exactly right.  I was never in the service, so I cannot say those things, but I had been around enough other loud things; guns, mowers, saws, weedeaters, engines and so forth that the ringing never goes away.  I try to tell my folks to use protection, but they think they do not need it.

Wednesday night after church my son asked me if i heard the cricket that started chirping when I started my lesson.  I looked at him and said, "The crickets never stop chirping."  Another guy, about my age agreed.  

Wear those earplugs guys, you will miss the whispering in your ear later. Sad

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:24:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ear Plugs?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.