Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Push Starting Advice (Read 325 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Push Starting Advice
Reply #15 - 12/04/09 at 07:07:54

You KNOW you are going to have to replace the battery. Do it and get it over with, then quit worrying about push starting. Why make it hard on yourself?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 12/04/09 at 07:19:52

Sure it's easier to replace the battery, put it on the charger...
But if you're out on the road and all you got are 2 sticks to rub together?
You had best learn how to get where you need to go in an emergency when you don't have to.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 12/04/09 at 22:01:01

I have push-started my fair share of motorcycles, though I have not tried it with the Savage/S40. It has always been an operation fraught with at least a little peril. For instance, if the rear wheel decides to skid instead of turning the engine, the bike becomes a handful. If you have the throttle open a little and the engine catches, the bike can lurch away from you. If you jump your posterior onto the bike to give it a little more rear-wheel traction, you are usually "side-saddle" and the bike can decide to fall over the other way. If the bike takes more than a couple of brief tries, you end up out of breath (at least, I do) and coordination tends to suffer. That's why I recommend just replacing the battery instead of trying to tough it out and push start the bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
HappyHighwayman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/04/09 at 23:02:53

EVen though my battery is fine I think Ishould practice this a few times in non-emergency conditions to learn to do it Smiley

My buddy's R/R is bad on his SV650 and he push starts it a LOT. (I've told him 1000 times to replace it)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:20:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Push Starting Advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.