Send Topic Print
starting problem (Read 141 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
starting problem
08/26/09 at 18:53:13

Okay in a nutshell here is my problem. I have a new S-40 with 1200 miles on her. She had her 600 mile checkup and nothing showed up to be wrong.

I have now developed this problem. Upon starting her for the first time if she happens to die, I have a heck of a time restarting her. I pull or push the choke in 1/2 or all the way out and nothing seems to work.
After a few tries and choice words seems she finally gets the hint to start.

Is this a common problem? As long as I have enough throttle upon starting her and don't let her die then their is no problem.
It only seems to do this upon the first start no matter the time of day or night.

If is it error on my part then excuse me as again is the first Suzuki and S-40 I have owned so am still learning..

I appreciate all the help and the information you all take the time to give me..  Have a great evening... Kim

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: starting problem
Reply #1 - 08/27/09 at 00:55:41

It's not common per se, but it happens. Check what others say too, but from my experience, if it cranked up with choke once, and managed to stay running for longer than half a minute - you don't need the choke at all anymore. But why would it die at all?? Raise the idle speed a little, see if that helps.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/28/09 at 09:26:53

Your startup problems don't seem to be common, at least I don't have them.
The fact that the dealer has looked at it and found nothing wrong is mildly comforting.  Most here only let the dealer look at the bike from across the street.

Has your bike been rejetted?
Brass plug removed and Idle mixture readjusted?
Do you get a pop or KABOOM on shut down?

My guess is your idle speed is a little slow for a cold bike.  And you're a bit rich with the choke on.  And the slight fluctuation in conditions kill it causeing it to flood.

When you restart, push the choke in (yes I know it's not really a choke) and give it about 1/2 throttle.

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 08/29/09 at 16:58:50

I have done nothing as far as rejetting or tampering with the idle adjustment. It is brand new and I am not wanting to do anything that may jeopardize the warranty. Since I first posted this I haven't had the problem as much.. Could be error on my part too..
I do have backfiring at times.. I think the gas I get at some places is richer. As in changing places I get gas seems to make a difference in that too..
I am still learning and again I really appreciate any suggestions you all have.. Thanks a bunch.. Kim Smiley

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 08/29/09 at 20:40:21

Raising the idle speed won't do anything to your warranty. Doesn't even require tools. Look on left hand side when sitting on the bile. Where the throttle cable attaches to carb. Knurled screw you can turn with your fingers. I've adjusted mine while sitting at a traffic light. Hope this helps!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 08/29/09 at 21:21:56

Quote:
push the choke in (yes I know it's not really a choke)
-------------------------------------------------------------

If its not a choke, it must just be a fuel enrichment system of some kind. Could you define it,......or better yet, link me to the info on it ?

Thanks

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/29/09 at 21:42:53

I found that if I turn the throttle more than just the slightest bit, it wont start. Ill have to walk away & let it sit a while. 1/2 choke, no throttle, set the idle up a bit, tho. Once you get the hang of it & know the low limit on the idle, you can set it on down some. Keep the idle Up enough to make sure oil gets to the top. Its a low pressure thing & low RPM will ruin the head.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 08/29/09 at 22:59:16

So how do I know if the oil is getting to the top or not? I let it idle and yet not at a slow rate, say put put put.. I make sure it is reved up some. But at the same time I don't want it to go VAROOM with the throttle cranked up all the way either right? Isn't that bad for the engine especially when it is the first start of the day or night?  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/29/09 at 23:36:26

I cant remember the idle speed Zuki calls for.. wanna say around 1,000 rpm..Somebody?? Anybody?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/29/09 at 23:39:12

1000-1200

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 08/30/09 at 06:34:56

okay so without a tach how do you know your rpms?. Sorry for having this question. Yet how do I learn if I don't ask those that do?  Huh
I have read my owners manual front to back and inbetween more than once. I even went to it last night. I just want to make sure I am doing everything right on my end. Thanks again for your suggestions and patience with me.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/30/09 at 06:42:19

Id call the shop & ask if they checked/adjusted the idle. Once youve been around it a while, youll get used to the right "beat" from the exhaust.
Someone will come along with the "rolling at idle in first gear" speed. Of course, 1,000 rpm in gear would be a bit higher once the clutch gets pulled in, but if on a smooth ,level area, not a lot. Like the oil level itself, there is a range, 1,000 the low end, 1,200 the high end & Id bet that if it idled at 1,500 the hassle would be low speed maneuverability, not some mysterious meltdown. If it wont idle at 1500, then how come it will run all day under load at 5,000? Just as long as you can roll thru a parking lot in 1st & not be running too fast to be safe, (I use the clutch, because it is a bit fast with the tall rear tire & fairly high idle) its not crazy high. Id say, until you know, fudge to the high side.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:27:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starting problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.