Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OEM Exhaust Modification (Read 459 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
OEM Exhaust Modification
08/22/09 at 07:05:42

Can't find anything in search on it.

I have read about cutting the end plate out of the OEM muffler.

What about drilling 6 holes in a circle midway between the rivets and the  center pipe ?

Last nite I machined a plug for the pipe, and spot centered it while in the lathe, then w/ a pair of dividers drew a circle between the rivets and the center pipe. Then drilled six 1/4" holes equally divided on the circle.
The exhaust is a little louder, and quite a lot of exhaust is coming out those holes. It looks good (wouldn't know it if you didn't know it) and I think it sounds good too.
But, the question is,....what did I do,....not knowing what I was doing ?
Sure seems like I relieved the exhaust somewhat. If I screwed up, my mig welder is just waiting to plug'm up :'( Untill then I'm ready for a touch of enrichment,......ain't I ? Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: OEM Exhaust Modification
Reply #1 - 08/22/09 at 09:11:43

If it sounds good to you, great.
I feel most people over drill the muf and ruin the sound.
1/4" holes sound about right.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/22/09 at 10:00:31

Actually the hole are 7/32. I just took it for a ride, it has a touch of back rap on decelleration now, no louder on acceleration....that I can hear, but really sounds good at idle.
But it sure needs some enrichment in 2nd gear...light throttle. I'll get on that next. Stick around incase I get in trouble Shocked Smiley

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/22/09 at 10:16:50

I would have thought that small of a hole would have whistled. I have a 1/2 in hole drilled up in to the muffler,It doesn't sound to good but I lost a little low in power and gained some at the top.All my bikes I drilled like that accept the Goldwing, The Moto Guzzi i put different mufflers on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 08/22/09 at 13:42:09

my stock muffler has a couple holes drilled in it, kind of big not sure how big though.

mine sounds great, backfires like crazy(which in case u didn't notice i kinda like lol) but i just got a debaffled sportster muffler that i'm awaiting my jet kit to put on with.

it's all about u and what u like ! don't listen to the others, they're just jealous of the relationship we have with our bikes LOL!!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/22/09 at 18:18:26

A "relationship?" With a machine? I guess, if you say so. To me, a motorcycle is just another machine. Some I like better; some I don't like too much. Most get traded within a few years in hopes of finding one I like better. But - a "relationship?" I don't think so.

I think of a "relationship" as a two-way deal. Machines return nothing. They have no emotions, no soul. They are purely and simply machines.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/09 at 01:25:43

Definately a relationship. You invest time care concern and labor in maintaining your machine. In return you get transportation, fun, financial savings (sometimes), relaxation. You also get a hobby you can continue for life and the ability to create something unique (if you do a lot of modding).

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/23/09 at 02:02:18

Yes, they are just unfeeling machines -- but you are not.  You supply both emotional sides of the relationship and you enjoy what you have built and the machine does its job which is to act like a machine while you play around having a relationship with it.

=========

Ask any woman ....  they can tell you all about it.

=========

"Yes, they are just men -- but you are not.  You supply both emotional sides of the relationship and you enjoy what you have built and the man does his job which is to act like a man while you play around having a relationship with him."

=========

Skills developed in both fields of "relationship building" are useful, what you learn working with your machine will help you get along better with your spouse.  Turn about is fair play after all, if you can't manage to keep a relationship going with a machine how the heck is she going to get you to play along properly with having a relationship going on with her?  Same head skills apply.

"Isn't it all just in your head??"   Yep, but that is where you live and have your entire life too.   All the good stuff depends on somebody's head to make it work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 08/23/09 at 09:17:03

sorry u don't feel the same charon, luckily the others got it and i don't look crazy lol

when i uncover my savage, i smile. when she backfires, i laugh. when i see a big pot hole and i move her around with ease, i'm glad she's so light.

i told my girl, that every relationship should benefit each half for the better. in this relationship i think that applies and i believe i benefit from all the fun & skills i've gained and she does what she was meant to do ROAR! lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/23/09 at 14:34:49

In May I came a dozen or so feet away from hitting 2 deer, and I promptly got into an exhaust-mod kick.  I did almost the same thing as you did, I made 6 x 1/4" holes evenly spaced around the endplate, except I didn't put a plug on the pipe as you did, if I read your post correctly.

The six quarter-inch holes in addition to the stock exhaust opening gave a louder sound at idle, not harsh, just an ominous WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP, think of the deep sound of an Apache/Huey helicopter hovering.  When I accelerated from a standstill, the sound, well, you could tell it was a low-budget solution, as it lost a bit of that ominous low-frequency sound and gained an ATV/4-wheeler exhaust sound in those midrange RPMs.  I did enjoy it for a couple weeks, and I could actually enjoy the sound of the bike at highway speeds without it being terribly loud.

Then I noticed some problems, primarily that of the air-fuel mixture becoming more lean (than it already was @ stock settings), hesitation and surging at low throttle openings, observed less of low-end and midrange torque, with more frequent afterfire on sharp deceleration, no more pops on shutoff - this time it's a loud blast.

The next step was finding out how to drill out the plug and uncover the idle mixture / pilot adjuster screw, and after many adjustments (it was getting over 8 turns out on the screw), it still was in a very lean condition, which means that lil' piston was enduring hotter temps for a sustained duration.  Not good.

The next step after that would be to re-jet and replace the pilot and main jet at the very least, but I had to throw in the towel as I'm only 25% of the way to having the bike paid off and am hesitant to do any further modification.

Some day, some day..... (shakes fist)

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 08/23/09 at 20:29:29

I'll get this OEM exhaust mod description correct sooner or later.

In actuality, there is 8 7/32 holes, not 6 like I said. And the plug did not stay in the pipe, I put it there just to have a center point. It looks good, and sounds kinda like...... half a Harley ?? Roll Eyes

Rich
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 08/24/09 at 17:35:30

In addition to the method you and I did, there was discussion on this site of a modification of the OEM muffler called the "Hartman mod"... you could try searching for it on this site or try Googling for it.  The original writeup and pictures were on an external site.

Instead of drilling the holes in the endplate, from what I recall you'd cut and detach the endplate, pull out the cylindrical baffle/airflow restriction and modify it somewhat, then reinstall what's left and repack the muffler with fiberglass.  You'd have to do a search for the Hartman mod to get the exact details, it was from a couple years ago so set your search setting to "All Posts".  And, there was a video on YouTube I came across that featured an exhaust sound of a Savage muffler modified with the Hartman mod, or something close to it.

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #12 - 08/31/09 at 06:10:01

I just googled "hartman mod" and it came up as first choice. Has good instructions, etc. On the site is a link to another mod that looks interesting.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #13 - 08/31/09 at 07:15:22

I would like a Dyna myself but I hate to waste a prefectly good muffler. How many miles do people tend to get on the stock muffler before it starts to fall out? I have a feeling the stock muffler will last a long time.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 08/31/09 at 07:53:48

mine lasted 7000 miles and since '95.....but was totally destroyed by me taking it off...so i guess it lasts until u rip it off ahahaa

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:16:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OEM Exhaust Modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.