buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: tire recommendations?
Reply #30 - 08/20/09 at 09:46:42

I have 8000 miles on a set of Bridgestone Spitfire S11's
white letters with dual compound tread.
Looks like they will last that much more.

they were heavier and stiffer than the stockers when I changed them.

IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/21/09 at 17:14:34

I like my Dunlop K555 140 80 on the rear and Dunlop D404 up front. Handles well. IRC also makes front and rear- 140 80. I think they were OEM. - not sure though.  My suzuki dealer wanted to put D404 front and back and said they would be fine. I think he was just a bit too lazy and didn't want to take the time to go deeper. I said no and within a few minutes he had the K555. Said it cost another 14 bucks. I ran Conti on my suzuki GN400- awful hard bike to get tires for- The Contis were fine. I don't see an advantage to a taller tire (140 90) in the rear. It should shift the handling a little bit, quicker to turn, and less straightline stability. But I imagine it is not very much of a change.
Last time I tried changing a tire - it was a pain in the neck- no "proper" tools and when I was putting the tire back on I pinched the tube. I gave up and took it to the dealer. I do all the small stuff -lawnmower etc. It is getting the tire on and off the rim that gets me - stretching it with out doing some damage to something while I wrestle with it.

Good luck

tom c

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 08/21/09 at 17:21:43

My wife had a Suzuki GN400,Back years ago I alway used Bridgestone
Spitfires.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #33 - 08/23/09 at 11:05:16

The only real advantage of the taller 140/90 vs. the original 140/80 is greater availability and more price and performance choices.  In the 140/80 all I found were the mediocre IRC and the pricey Metzeler ME880.

I like the performance of the Pirelli MT66 Route 140/90 tire I bought, and the price was easier to swallow than the Metzeler's.  The only difference I notice from the taller tire is that my around-town shift points need to be a couple of mph higher, not a big deal.  The taller rear should make the bike more nimble at the cost of a bit of straight line stability, but I don't feel that--it is both quite flickable and quite stable.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #34 - 08/23/09 at 12:29:54

Seeing how back tires wear out twice as fast as front tires, and you need maximum sticky on the front tire for emergency braking, have any of you guys tried a soft compound front along with a hard compound rear?  Or is that "bad" like mixing bias-ply with radials?  It seems like you could get both longevity and safety with the right combination (and trained not to panic and lock up the back tire of course).

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 09/04/09 at 07:01:40

I've finally got my new tires (I went with the Metzelers) and got them installed.  I'm still in the break-in period, so I can't necessarily say how they handle, but the peace of mind from being able to ride on tires that aren't dry-rotted is quite nice.

I got the 90 degree tubes (I think the PV-78 was the right kind of valve stem), and I asked them to install it so that the stem would be pointing toward the right side of the bike, so that all the stuff on the left side of the back wheel wouldn't be in the way.  They told me they couldn't necessarily do that, because the tube would only fit one way.  I told them it looked like the valve stem itself was adjustable, but they said it wasn't.  When I picked it up, the stem was pointing to the left.

Were they correct about that, or were they just being lazy?  It looks like I should still be able to get to the stem easier than I could with the straight stem, but it would've been nice to have it pointing toward the other side.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 09/04/09 at 07:10:46

I wouldn't go back there, they're idiots.
Tubes don't have a direction.
Just turn the darn thing around.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #37 - 09/04/09 at 07:51:58

The stem is not "adjustable" (at least I've never seen one that is, and why would it be?), but Verslagen is correct in that it doesn't have a "direction" like a tire does.
You just flip the tube over and put it in the other way.
He's right, they are idiots.

And if I were you I would double check to make sure they have the tire mounted the right way.
It DOES have an arrow on it that points in the direction of forward rotation.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #38 - 09/04/09 at 09:11:46

Mixing front and rear tire brands or models is usually OK, according to the folks I've spoken with and my buddy who owns a motorcycle shop...but once in a while a certain combination on a certain bike does not work out well.  One combination that is used on some bikes is a Metzeler ME-330 on the front and harder ME-880 on the rear.  Another used on adventure touring bikes is a Metzeler Tourance EXP on the front and harder Metzeler Tourance (not-EXP) on the rear.  Tire have a "slip angle," the difference in the direction the tire is pointed and the direction it actually moves.  While cars want to somewhat understeer, bikes need to oversteer with the rear having greater slip angle than the front.  Matching front & rears works so well because the tire design engineers take this and other factors into account.  Mixing certain tires doesn't work for this reason among others.

The tube doesn't care which way it runs nor which way the stem points.  The lazy jerks in the shop do care if they have to re-do a job they did stupidly the first time.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 09/04/09 at 10:15:11

HA! Slip Angle,, Finally I have a term to describe what is happening! I suffer from Slip Angle issues, myself. I find that, depending on how much beer Ive had, I may be Looking at where I want to go, but there is a "Slip Angle" issue with the feet & they move off at an angle not exactly helpful in getting me to where I want to go..

Slip Angle, gotta remember that one..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 09/04/09 at 11:42:02

Freddie Mercury just lives to sing his special m/c tire song to stubborn people putting yet another expensive m/c tire on the back of their Savage ....    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 09/05/09 at 23:58:42

Bryan,
It gripes my grits that people are not doing you right at the dealer. I bought my Savage with the stem turned to the left. Being right handed and with all the clearance on the right, I get hacked off every time I check my air. I have a suggestion for you. Get a Dennis Kirk catalog and a JC WWhitney motorcycle catalog. Read everything that pertains to Savages from batteries to brakes to tires...Mark every item that will fit your bike and write the page numbers on the front. You will learn so much and get a good idea of average prices. Since they send me a free catalog, I order a few things from each of them to help them pay for my education. Of course I love to read, so it's enjoyable to me. And we will continue to help you any time we can. Enjoy those new tires, but wait till the "slippery" wears off before testing them too much.  Boofer

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:30:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire recommendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.