Send Topic Print
tire recommendations? (Read 635 times)
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

tire recommendations?
08/16/09 at 21:10:40

I need new tires for my Savage.  It's my first bike and I have no experience with this stuff.  Some have recommended me order them online and change them myself, but I don't have an air compressor, a garage, or the time, so I'll probably take it somewhere.  But I still might buy them online if I can get a good deal.

I'm not looking for anything super nice, but I don't want something that'll fall apart.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't need any speed rated or performance tires, but if the treadwear is significantly higher I don't mind paying a little more to save money in the long run.

1. Any good websites where I can find tires?
2. Any recommended brand/series/model of tires?
3. What should I expect to pay for tires?
4. What can I expect to pay to get them put on?  How much is too much?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: tire recommendations?
Reply #1 - 08/16/09 at 21:44:54

Bryan,

To quote Paladin, "There are good motorcycle tires and there are better motorcycle tires"

I currently have IRC Wildflares - 100/90 - 19 front and 150/80 - 15 rear.  With tubes I paid about $200.00 for them including shipping from J&P Cycles.
Way better than the stock IRCs.  It really all about how much you can afford.  Do buy new tubes when you get the tires.

You can save a few bucks if you take the wheels of the bike and have the dealership mount them for you, if you don't have the means to do it yourself.  If you have to have someone do everything for you, now is the perfect time to find a independent shop that is willing to work on your bike.  Just do not expect same day service if you take the bike in.

When I did my tires, I changed them myself.  With my son helping me.  Of course, I had all the tools.

Rear tires wear out before fronts, figure 2 rears to every front tire.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 08/17/09 at 04:24:46

Bryan,

It really pays to shop around and do your homework, which is what you are doing.  I recently bought a tire and that was my first experience and I knew nothing, as Sgt Shultz used to say. Cheesy

There are many threads on here about tires, go to search, type in tires, change the "when was this post last made" to all and go at it.

Buying motorcycle tires is diferent than buying car tires, but you alredy knew that.  I asked the guy I get my car tries from, who I pretty much figured did not mess with motorcycle tires, but I knew had motorcycles and he gave me a good lead.  That took me from someone local I trusted to someone that he trusted, which is better than nothing.

I got a dunlop k something, had a dunlop d404, but that did not seem to hold up very well around here.  I had the guy put it on for me, but I kept thinking, "I could do that myself"  Maybe, but he had all the tools and stuff right there to do it with.  $140 (tire, tube, rim strip and labor) later I was heading out.  The K does seem to be holding up better than the d, but it is a little too early to tell.

I know this got kind of long, but search and read on here, ask someone you know local, even if they do not sell motorcycle tires, they might have a lead for you, make your best decision and go ride.

Hope that helps.
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 08/17/09 at 05:43:21

I cam buy tires from the local Suzuki shop here. 2 days to get them. If I bring in the wheel, they charge 15 bucks to mount them. Well worth that!
I'm lucky to have a d@mn good dealer.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #4 - 08/17/09 at 07:15:54

Bryan

Are you a high mileage rider?  Harder, longer lived tire rubber has less traction than softer, shorter lived rubber.  If you're in an emergency where you need all the traction you can get, remember your choice.

I got Pirelli MT66 Route tires, and I like them a lot.  They cost no more than some of the lesser name tires.  140/90-15 fits the rear and is much more common than the 140/80-15 original tire, but some folks have to replace the bolts under the rear fender with round-head bolts to avoid tire rubbing.  Above all, get better tires that the original model, IRC GS-18 or whatever they're listed as on the sticker on the bike.

If your tubes are five years old or more, get new tubes.  I prefer a rear tube with a 90° bend in the stem for easier air checks and adding air.

Make phone calls.  Call all your local shops including the Suzuki shops and independent repair shops if you have any to get prices.  My local indie shop charges $21 to mount if your bring in your wheel and new tire/tube.

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/17/09 at 07:43:45

MT66 front seems to be working very well.

Remember they're really slick with mold release when new.  I use naptha to clean the release off, then car wash detergent & pressure wash.  Saves a little slippery new no traction time.

Worth $15 to have someone else change if you're not up for it.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/17/09 at 08:56:28

For you people running the MT66, please let everyone (especially me!) know what kind of mileage you get out of them.  YES, I know that my mileage may vary.
I got 20k out of the rear on my Metzeler ME880, and the front is still going strong.
I've heard that the MT66 has handling similiar to the ME880, and I could be tempted by the MT66 if the mileage is good enough.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/17/09 at 10:32:31

PTRider wrote on 08/17/09 at 07:15:54:
I prefer a rear tube with a 90° bend in the stem for easier air checks and adding air.

Yes,.. 90' bend valve stem,... and have them mount it to the brake side, or it will do you no good....

and don't buy more tire than you need,... you want them to wear out in 2 or three years...
after that they will start to dry out and rot,... so don't buy 10,000 mile tires if you only ride 1,000 miles per year.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Louisiana_Geezer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Reply #8 - 08/17/09 at 12:46:41

youzguyz wrote on 08/17/09 at 08:56:28:
For you people running the MT66, please let everyone (especially me!) know what kind of mileage you get out of them.  YES, I know that my mileage may vary.
I got 20k out of the rear on my Metzeler ME880, and the front is still going strong.
I've heard that the MT66 has handling similiar to the ME880, and I could be tempted by the MT66 if the mileage is good enough.

I have these Pirellis on my Rebel. After nearly 5K miles they still look NEW, but you _can_ tell that they perform better after they've been run in about 500 miles. The tire seems to hold the road very well in turns, so I couldn't be more pleased.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/17/09 at 13:15:12

I put the Route 66 on my 1500 Suzuki, cheaper tires than what come on it,But they handle a lot better and also are softer riding over bumps.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/17/09 at 14:36:45

I definitely don't have the resources to change tires.  I live in an apartment, I've got no air compressor, garage, bike jack, and I'm technically not even supposed to be working on my bike on apartment property.  I could probably take the wheels off and bring them somewhere, but I'm not sure I wanna just leave my bike (minus wheels) sitting in the parking lot.

I'll definitely need tubes as well.  I'm sure these are probably the original tires and tubes.  The tires are dry rotted and cracked pretty bad.  The bike's only got 2400 miles on it, and it's a 96.

I've seen a lot of people mention putting larger tires on the Savage cause the 140/80's are harder to find.  I'm not sure I want to do that, though.  I don't mind swapping out bolts if I have to, but I imagine 140/90's would have a larger circumference, so they'd probably throw off my speedometer, and I've heard even 150/80's can throw off the speedometer.  In addition, I'm not sure a bike shop would be willing to put wider tires on my bike cause they might be harder to fit onto the rim, right?

What companies make tires that are the right size for the Savage?

IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #11 - 08/17/09 at 15:20:04

One easy way is go to DennisKirk.com, under Metric Bikes, then search by bike.  I'm sure plenty of other sites have the same feature.

IRC Front GS18 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire
   IRC Front GS18 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire
   $57.99

IRC Rear GS18 140/80H-15 Blackwall Tire
   IRC Rear GS18 140/80H-15 Blackwall Tire
   $76.99

Metzeler Front ME 880 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire
   Metzeler Front ME 880 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire
   $101.99
(go to site for more)

I personally loved the ME880's on my Suzuki Marauder for 6K or so miles (before I sold it) which showed virtually no wear and had plenty of grip.  I put ME880's on my Savage 500 miles ago and they are working great also.  Cost more but seem to last forever...

I was told by a fellow Savage owner to avoid the stock replacements at all cost, as they are slippery as heck and never seem to get the right grip...but that is just passing on what I was told, I've never had stock.

I also ordered mine online (forget where from) and my local Suzuki shop put them on for about $25 total.  Considering they quoted me $120 more for the tires than what I bought them online for...it was worth taking off the wheels/tires and taking them in along with the new tires.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #12 - 08/17/09 at 17:03:13

You can see the date the tires were made.  The last four digits of the DOT code impressed into the sidewall of the tire are the week and year of manufacture.  For tires made before 2000, the year is only one digit--236 as the last three digits would be the 23rd week of 1996.  2306 would be the 23rd week of 2006, for example.

If you look at tire company web sites and use their lookup tool, you'll find which tires they make that they recommend for the LS650 Savage & S40.  Dunlop, Pirelli, and the others recommend their 140/90-15, because they don't make the 140/80-15.  If the tire maker recommends it, the shop will install it.  Interestingly, many of the tire makers recommend higher inflation pressure than Suzuki recommends for the IRC GS-18.  
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide_print.asp?fitment_id=621

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 08/17/09 at 17:34:03

after 5k on my 06 the rear was unsafe went with metzlers,caught them on sale @ cruiser customizing.com
had the staelership mount them with NEW tubes and NEW rim liners..
w/o going out to look the od is around 13k..
rode in a parade (15 miles) @ the winter park colorado tribute to vets rally, 10 miles in pouring rain,stingin my forehead rain,totaly soaked my flydana rain...

IMO metzs are the best offered,may be pricey, but for me theres 2 things on any vechicle you dont scrimp $ on:
1 brakes
2 tires

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/17/09 at 20:35:53

PTRider wrote on 08/17/09 at 17:03:13:
If you look at tire company web sites and use their lookup tool, you'll find which tires they make that they recommend for the LS650 Savage & S40.  Dunlop, Pirelli, and the others recommend their 140/90-15, because they don't make the 140/80-15.  If the tire maker recommends it, the shop will install it.  Interestingly, many of the tire makers recommend higher inflation pressure than Suzuki recommends for the IRC GS-18.  
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide_print.asp?fitment_id=621

Won't a 140/90 throw my speedometer off?  I know it's not the end of the world, but I'm an inexperienced rider as it is...

I called a place today and they want $80 just to take the wheels off the bike.  Maybe I'll see if I can just take the wheels off at a friend's house and lay the bike in his grass while I get the tires changed...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 11:28:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire recommendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.