Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My First Ride In Four Years. (Read 136 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
My First Ride In Four Years.
08/15/09 at 18:15:51

Four years ago I had a stroke and I went blind in my right eye. I had ridden motorcycles all my life. With no vision in my right eye I decided it might be best if I quit riding. I sold my Triumph Trophy and Thunderbird. Several months later my vision started coming back but the best it ever got was 20/100 with glasses on. I'm a guitarist so I put together a rock n roll band to take the place of my bikes. Jan. this year I came down with Lupus. I got rhuematoid arthritus in my hands from the Lupus. A lot of days I can't play guitar so there goes the band. Depression set in and I decided the only way to overcome the depression is to get another motorcycle. I'm living off disability now and money is tight but I found an 03 Savage with 4,700 on the clock and I got it for $2000. I rode it home (about 30 mi) and it cut off twice. The second time I put the petcock on prime and had no more problems. I've been cleaning on the bike for about 2 weeks. The headlight bracket was broken, had to get another one. Replaced the vacuum line to the petcock, changed oil and basically went all over the bike. Today I decided to go for my first real ride. I had forgotten how much fun riding is. I climbed a couple of mountains with the Savage and she did great. I rode about 85 mi. Most of it was twist and turns, one of my favorite old runs. I was probably grinning from ear to ear the whole trip. When I go to bed tonight I'll probably still be smiling. No more depression. The Savage is a great bike and I'm extremely happy with my new purchase. I'm 5'7" and she fits me like a glove. At my age and my health condition she has all the power I need and she even does pretty dang good in the twisties. Today is one of the best days I've had in the last four years. Just had to share it with you guys and gals. Ride Safe! Smiley

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: My First Ride In Four Years.
Reply #1 - 08/15/09 at 18:44:06

Congrats..........

Well done

Glad to hear you are "back in the Saddle"

Because I can!
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 08/15/09 at 19:34:39

MNR,

Thank you for a very inspiring story.

It is interesting how Suzuki's low cost entry level cruiser from the mid-eighties had so much right.  Our Savage/S40 bikes are easy to ride, fun to ride, perform well, and are very moderate cost.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 08/15/09 at 19:49:23

I agree PTRider. I was friends with the owner of the local Suzuki Dealership. I grew up watching him race. When I started racing he helped me with my bike and when my son started racing he helped with his bike. My friend passed away last year. The last bike he owned was a Savage. He told me once "Mike this little bike right here will do anything I ask it to. Its not great at nothing but its good at everything." That statement came from a man that could ride any Suzuki he wanted to. Thats why I started searching for a Savage.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pabst 2006

Thump Thump KERPOW!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/15/09 at 20:51:03

Midnightrider wrote on 08/15/09 at 19:49:23:
"... My friend passed away last year. The last bike he owned was a Savage. He told me once "Mike this little bike right here will do anything I ask it to. Its not great at nothing but its good at everything." That statement came from a man that could ride any Suzuki he wanted to. Thats why I started searching for a Savage.

That's an inspiring little paragraph there!  Glad you enjoyed your ride in the twisties... keep the rubber side down

-Pabst

2008 S40 - Red
  IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #5 - 08/15/09 at 21:33:39

You are indeed fortunate to ride again.  I have a good friend that had a stroke 10 years ago.  He looks almost fully recovered, but walks slightly sideways.  Barely noticable.  He went on vacation to Long Beach, Washington where they rent scooters to run up and down the beach.  He didn't know it, but something about his stroke affected his balance and he kept falling over in the sand.  Luckily, a sandy beach is almost the perfect place to fall over on a bike. You never know what you can/can't do until you try.  Keep testing the limits. Smile at your sucesses.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #6 - 08/15/09 at 21:58:10

Good to hear  Grin

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 08/15/09 at 22:44:17

Way to go!!!!  Good to hear you are enjoying life again. Life is short and we need  to get the best we can out of it.

Ride safe.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 08/16/09 at 02:16:41

Reading your post put a smile on my face midnightrider! Way to go man ... you are an inspiration! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 08/16/09 at 04:13:42

Welcome back!

The best "therapy" is to get out there and live your own life!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 08/16/09 at 08:13:02

Great to hear you out having fun on the 'new' machine.

Even better to hear your enjoying life more fully.

Enjoy the ride!

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #11 - 08/16/09 at 09:09:48

I like to call it...Asphalt Therapy

Because I can!
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #12 - 08/16/09 at 21:26:30

Ahhh...another good person comes to the forum! And a very inspiring story indeed.
May you have many happy riding days!!! Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/13/24 at 15:24:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My First Ride In Four Years.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.